The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica mFT

Riley

we just heard yesterday, that Leica will be a part of mFT, but its a mixed blessing it seems. No firm statement on a Leica RF type mFT. But at least they are still along side.

[Interview] Matsushita Discusses Development of Mirrorless Digital SLR -- Tech-On!

Nikkei Electronics
Are you planning to cooperate with Leica Camera AG of Germany on Micro Four Thirds cameras?

Matsushita
Yes. We prioritized modest price in the development of the "Lumix G lens," an interchangeable lens that we have just announced. However, we have a plan to sell Leica-branded products, which are characterized by very high image quality.

Nikkei Electronics
Are you considering making rangefinder cameras, like the ones developed by Leica, based on the Micro Four Thirds System standard?

Matsushita
There aren't enough interchangeable lenses available, and that's the problem. When a telephoto lens is used, an image in the finder is difficult to see because it's too small. With a super-wide angle lens, the entire shooting area does not fit in the finder. That's why users of rangefinder cameras are those who really like cameras. For other users, they are difficult to use.

and theres more inf here
Matsushita Takes Out 'R' from Digital SLR Camera -- Tech-On!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another interesting variety of this would be if Leica used the technology to make a fully electronic M-mount camera. It wouldn't be M4/3 obviously, but it would certainly be an interesting camera.

Terry

I think you may be misreading this statement a bit. Panasonic sells some cameras with Leica lenses (made by Panny but with Leica specs/design oversight) and other cameras branded with Lumix lenses. The new G1 has Lumix lenses which are not particularly fast. My take from the article is that we will see the Leica branded lenses (again made by Panny) and they will cost more.

Panny's problem with both of their DSLRs is pricing and I would bet the Leica branded lenses had a lot to do with that. Remember the cost of the kit lens on the L1/Digilix 3 was essentially the whole price of the kit.

So, I didn't see this as Leica making a m4/3 system but Panny doing Leica branded lenses for the system.