The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Holiday snaps with the E3

jonoslack

Hi There
just got back from Crete this morning . . . been having a quick look through the results, and these caught my eye. There are loads of others, but I thought these were fun/pretty.

Loutro on a sunny morning

This is the only way to arrive (unless you walk!).

sometimes people can be desceptive:

a little later

Here are some more beach people:

jonoslack

Here are a couple more:

Sometimes the weather wasn't so good, and if you hadn't come prepared . . . .

Occasionally it was terrible, but the light could still be special:

and

As I say, there are lots more and I'll get a web page together soon.

In the meantime I hope these don't look too much like your auntie's holiday snaps.

Owen_Coors

These are fantastic "snaps"! I was hoping that my new E-420 would have this kind of image quality, but it certainly doesn't...at least not with the little 14-42 kit lens. What lens/lenses did you use for these shots?

jonoslack

These are fantastic "snaps"! I was hoping that my new E-420 would have this kind of image quality, but it certainly doesn't...at least not with the little 14-42 kit lens. What lens/lenses did you use for these shots?
Hi Owen
Well - perhaps it does! Maybe it's the post processing that's the problem (it does, after all, have the same sensor). I like the little 14-42 kit lens, and would have thought it would have managed with most of these.

I was using the 7-14, 12-60 and 70-300. Most of these were taken with the lovely 12-60.

Glad you liked them.

Hi Chris
It really was like that, the wierdest thing was that it was pretty dark, but the ground seemed to be lighter than the sky.

Owen_Coors

Thanks for replying, Jono. Yes, perhaps it is the processing...I shoot RAW only and process in ACR, but I'm open minded to a better alternative of RAW processing if you know of one. As one RAW tool or another comes with the cameras that I've bought over the years I've tried a few out. I haven't tried out the trial version of the Olymus (Master ???) yet...is that what you use? Yes, they're the same sensor i believe, but somehow the E3 is capturing 8.8 stops of tonality, at iso100, while the E420 is capturing 8.2 (according to DPReview's DR testing charts). I'm hoping that a better lens might help a bit with the DR, but perhaps not. That's funny...I just found some images shot with thw 12-60 on another site and left a comment about the images colors being just what I wanted.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Owen,
Welcome-- nice to see you here.

Jono, Lovely work as usual. I can't wait to see your gallery when you are ready. the colors are just stunning. It looks like you had a wonderful time. We did miss you while you were gone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey this is not fair you get a nice vacation and the rest of us work. The place looks perfect for a nice hang out for awhile. Nice to see you back and hope you got some nice rest. Now get back to work and post some images and have fun, we need some images to see around here.:D

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono,
I would really be interested in your comparison of the 4/3 Oly system vs. Nikon D700 system for shots such as these. I know the Nikon is better in low light.

jonoslack

Thanks for replying, Jono. Yes, perhaps it is the processing...I shoot RAW only and process in ACR, but I'm open minded to a better alternative of RAW processing if you know of one. As one RAW tool or another comes with the cameras that I've bought over the years I've tried a few out. I haven't tried out the trial version of the Olymus (Master ???) yet...is that what you use? Yes, they're the same sensor i believe, but somehow the E3 is capturing 8.8 stops of tonality, at iso100, while the E420 is capturing 8.2 (according to DPReview's DR testing charts). I'm hoping that a better lens might help a bit with the DR, but perhaps not. That's funny...I just found some images shot with thw 12-60 on another site and left a comment about the images colors being just what I wanted.
Hi Owen
Well, when I said 'processing', I was really thinking of technique rather than the actual processor - I use Aperture FWIW, and like it a lot, but maybe I'm a little more . . . erm . . . adventurous!

One thing I would say with this sensor, is that (in daylight) overexposure is your biggest enemy - the sensor will clip highlights if you let it, I always have mine set to -1/3 exposure compensation in daylight (in low light, it's just the opposite). Maybe that's the case here - I've been really careful not to overexpose clouds, and at base ISO you still get very little noise in the shadows (in good light).

I hope that helps, you really should be able to get images as good as this with your E420.

jonoslack

Hi Owen,
Welcome-- nice to see you here.

Jono, Lovely work as usual. I can't wait to see your gallery when you are ready. the colors are just stunning. It looks like you had a wonderful time. We did miss you while you were gone.
HI Cindy - we had a great time (although, as you can see, the weather was not always perfect!) - when it rained it rained SOOOO hard! the conclusion was that at the first drop you put your clothes in your backpack, so that when it stopped again you did, at least, have dry clothes!
Thank you for missing me :). I did actually have a laptop and my iphone, and in Greece the signal strength is unbelievable, but it was supposed to be a holiday, so I was good, and didn't even look :angel:

I would really be interested in your comparison of the 4/3 Oly system vs. Nikon D700 system for shots such as these. I know the Nikon is better in low light.
Well, the E3 has a slightly stronger AA filter, so you need to do a bit more sharpening, but, there really is no noise at low ISO, the real advantage (and why I took it) is twofold:
1. you can carry from 14-600mm equivalent in 3 lenses (7-14, 12-60, 70-300), all with image stabilisation and all sharp to the corners at all apertures. All the lenses focus down to about 1/3 life size, so there isn't really a need for a macro.
2. Weathersealing. I know that the D700 and the big zooms are sealed, BUT, if they leak, then you're in for a very expensive repair bill. The Olympus stuff is actually warranted, and there is now enough historical evidence to make one very confident. Look at this shot for instance:

Not perhaps a perfect picture (and I'm not sure that the victims would be too pleased!). The waves were coming over the bow of the boat in huge splashes - I had my back to it, and was getting just as wet - and so was the camera . . . . would you do that with a D700? I think not!
3. Colour. Nothing wrong with the Nikon colour, but somehow, whenever I look at the Olympus colour I just think YES!

jonoslack

Hi Guy
Hey this is not fair you get a nice vacation and the rest of us work. The place looks perfect for a nice hang out for awhile. Nice to see you back and hope you got some nice rest. Now get back to work and post some images and have fun, we need some images to see around here.:D
I'll do my best - not sure about rest - we did lots of walking, and most of them start with a stroll to the top of the cliff . . . which is 2000 ft!

BTW the lady on the red towel sunning is a stellar shot. Love the composition
Thank you - I had to work hard to get permission to post that picture (it's the boss). It's an amazing beach - all the cliffs are marble, and the sea is just a stunning colour.

Nice work! Like the new avatar choice as well.
Hi Terry
Thank you - I guess I'll have to work on a winter one soon :(

Joan

Beautiful holiday photos, Jono. Agree totally about the Oly E-3's colors, simply gorgeous. Just made your first photo my desktop wallpaper, hope you don't mind. Couldn't resist. :)

jonoslack

Beautiful holiday photos, Jono. Agree totally about the Oly E-3's colors, simply gorgeous. Just made your first photo my desktop wallpaper, hope you don't mind. Couldn't resist. :)
HI Joan
you're most welcome, and I'm flattered - if you want I can email you a larger version of the file (fitted to your desktop).

The next step is to go on a airplane, then a taxi, then a boat . . . and go there!

Joan

Thanks, Jono. Really no need for a larger version though, looks beautiful on my iMac just as it is. I just want to dive right in there and soak up the sun.