Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    I just spotted this over on DPReview. Seems that one Ricoh service rep has said it's possible to replace the 12mp sensor with the 16mp one. Even with M module. I'm dubious about this...isn't new firmware required to handle the extra data or the different imaging characteristics of the sensor (JPEG engine calibration, for example?)

    If this is true, I'd say it's fairly big news. Anyone got any idea?

    PHOTOBLOG

    doug

  2. #2
    Member Agnius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica, California
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Doug,

    I think what Ricoh means that it is possible to buy A16-M module once it becomes announced. That's the beauty of GXR modular system. I don't think it is economically feasible to desolder the old sensor and replace it with a new one - it is not as simple as that anyways. Upgradeable sensor? From what I see, they are talking about 12MP Lensor modules, that way you would save the lens and get to use a new sensor. But still, it doesn't sound to easy of a job. Overall, I think this is a hoax. Is it April yet?

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    My reading fits Agnius's (poor sentence, but you get the idea!)

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    I had a conversation with a few members on different forums. The general feeling is that Ricoh would upgrade the sensor in the A12 units to A16 or so.
    The key issue of course would be cost.
    Myself, I'd probably entertain a 33-40% cost of a new unit. Any more than that and I think it would be a waste of money. This is a key advantage to having separate lensors.

    If Ricoh actually does this, it would breathe new life into the GXR. I love the system as it is but any upgrade of course is welcomed.
    This concept has to be something Ricoh thought about and I hope they did.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    My understanding is that what makes different the sensor presently used in the M module from the other GXR sensors is the absence of an AA filter and the presence of microlenses, both features being jointly responsible for the very good performances of this module with the M lenses (including the non retrofocus ones).
    Any replacement sensor, no matter what is the pixel count, should comply with this requirements to make any sense.
    Considering that the other GXR modules are "lensors" whereas the M module is basically just a "sensor", does it make any economic sense the upgrade we are talking about?

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    If Ricoh does it, it will be a first in the industry and I bet they'll do a great job of it.

    But, I'm neither holding my breath nor particularly anxious to see it happen. All three camera units ... A12 28, 50 Macro, and Camera Mount ... are excellent performers just as is. What is the freekin big deal about having to upgrade everything constantly? Is no one ever satisfied that the excellent equipment they bought is actually good enough?

    It's an insanity of the current milieu in photography.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If Ricoh does it, it will be a first in the industry and I bet they'll do a great job of it.

    But, I'm neither holding my breath nor particularly anxious to see it happen. All three camera units ... A12 28, 50 Macro, and Camera Mount ... are excellent performers just as is. What is the freekin big deal about having to upgrade everything constantly? Is no one ever satisfied that the excellent equipment they bought is actually good enough?

    It's an insanity of the current milieu in photography.
    +1

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    I agree completely but...the concept that I went for in the GXR is the adaptability and expandability. Say Ricoh comes out with a B&W sensor for the A12 units. That I would want as fast as possible. It should be more feasible financially than to change BODIES every 6 months or year. I love the camera and lensors and have had amazing responses to my work with it from all areas.

    I don't think getting an upgrade in one form or another is a negative aspect to making images, far from it, I see it as a welcomed improvement on the final result.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Don, A B&W version of the A12- I will pay whatever it takes to get it.

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Don, A B&W version of the A12- I will pay whatever it takes to get it.
    Why?

    A monochrome-only capture device locks you to one spectral sensitivity ... you'll have to go back to using filters over the lens at capture time to adjust tonal separation of colors. Most of the gains in sensitivity will be negated by that.

    Is that what you want?

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Why?

    A monochrome-only capture device locks you to one spectral sensitivity ... you'll have to go back to using filters over the lens at capture time to adjust tonal separation of colors. Most of the gains in sensitivity will be negated by that.

    Is that what you want?

    I don't know what you mean.

    A B&W sensor, in my book, means a sensor without the Bayer filter array. If the current A12 were to be made without the color filter but it has everything else (ie., the offset microlenses and the UV/IR cut filter) then it will be capable of imaging in the spectral region of ~400 to 650nm (blue to red) just like a panchromatic B&W film covering the entire spectral region unlike an orthochromatic film.

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    I agree completely but...the concept that I went for in the GXR is the adaptability and expandability. Say Ricoh comes out with a B&W sensor for the A12 units. That I would want as fast as possible. It should be more feasible financially than to change BODIES every 6 months or year. I love the camera and lensors and have had amazing responses to my work with it from all areas.

    I don't think getting an upgrade in one form or another is a negative aspect to making images, far from it, I see it as a welcomed improvement on the final result.
    Continued development is a good thing, I see nothing wrong with that. But what I read on this and every other equipment forum is an obsession with "new new more more new more better more new" and when what we already have to work with in cameras is stunningly capable.

    A decade ago, the development of digital capture cameras was far less mature and every release of a new model was a quantum leap forward. (Although, that said, my nearly a decade old Olympus E-1 still produces stunningly beautiful photographs within the limits of its working domain of 5 Mpixels, ISO sensitivity up to ISO 800 and utterly lethargic write speed.) I know where the desire for better came from. But what we have now, even in relatively inexpensive cameras like the GXR, is just amazing.

    I welcome new advancements, but why I automatically should need a 16 vs a 12 Mpixel sensor, or acceptable results at ISO 6400 vs ISO 3200, mystifies me. Does everyone shoot by candlelight 90% of the time and print to billboard sized images these days? I don't know about you, but greater than 90% of the photographs I look at and enjoy are displayed on a 1024x768 pixel display, with limited dynamic range, or are printed in even smaller book and magazine pages.

    And just like I asked Vivek, why is a monochrome only sensor such a huge push for you? One of the massive advantages of rendering to monochrome with digital capture, to me, is the ability to selectively and fluidly adjust tonal translation of colors to gray tones in the rendering process ... you lose all that with a monochrome only sensor, you're locked to one spectral sensitivity curve unless you fit filters to your lenses at capture time. Why is that so appealing?

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I don't know what you mean.

    A B&W sensor, in my book, means a sensor without the Bayer filter array. If the current A12 were to be made without the color filter but it has everything else (ie., the offset microlenses and the UV/IR cut filter) then it will be capable of imaging in the spectral region of ~400 to 650nm (blue to red) just like a panchromatic B&W film covering the entire spectral region unlike an orthochromatic film.
    Every black and white film, whether orthochromatic or panchromatic, has a signature sensitivity curve (records different colors of light differently) both built into its chemistry and affected by how it is processed. You adjust that sensitivity curve by filtering the light striking it with red, orange, yellow, green and blue filters in order to effect tonal separation of colors in the captured image. In the recorded image, there is no distinction as to whether the original subject reflected red, green or whatever color ... that is set, fixed by the recording medium. You cannot change it, only adjust the intensity.

    With a color sensitive recording device, you have the information about the mix of red, green and blue at every point in the original scene. With that information, you can separate red from green, blue from yellow, and adjust those relationships in the rendered monochrome image.

    A B&W sensor may be panchromatic, but you don't have any information in the captured data about what a particular color in the original was therefore you have no capability of manipulating tonal relationships based on original color after the fact. A color sensor allows you that dimension of control in your rendering process, and simplifies what you need to do (and carry) during the capture process.

    This is the benefit of the evil Bayer array: it gives you rendering control, adds information into your captured data, where otherwise you have to make those adjustments yourself with filtration prior to capture.

    I'd quite forgotten just how important this was in b&w film photography until I acquired the M4-2 in September and started shooting B&W film once more. I wondered why my images were all so flat looking ... and then I remembered: I used to always fit an orange or yellow filter for some subjects, a green or blue filter for others, a red filter for others. Once I started doing that, my results began to approach once more what I do with rendering monochrome from digital capture. It's a heck of a lot more work ...

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    When dealing with lenses with not high performance, yes narrow spectral isolation help boost the tonality immensely.

    Tone curves can be set in many modern cameras prior to taking a shot or afterwards.

    The key advantage of a B&W sensor is to increase the light sensitivity due to the absence of the Bayer dyes.

    Well corrected lenses and just 250nm spectral width (ie., 400 to 650nm) is not a problem.

    If the camera sensor bleeds near UV and near IR, like the Leica M8, one has bigger problems to deal with.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    When dealing with lenses with not high performance, yes narrow spectral isolation help boost the tonality immensely.

    Tone curves can be set in many modern cameras prior to taking a shot or afterwards.

    The key advantage of a B&W sensor is to increase the light sensitivity due to the absence of the Bayer dyes.

    Well corrected lenses and just 250nm spectral width (ie., 400 to 650nm) is not a problem.

    If the camera sensor bleeds near UV and near IR, like the Leica M8, one has bigger problems to deal with.

    I don't see how trying to separate red from green in grayscale tonal rendering has anything at all to do with what you've said above. You can't do this with a monochrome only sensor. You can only do it by knowing the spectral response of the sensor and filtering the light to suit, which negates the advantage of removing the filters from the bayer matrix sensor.

    The quality of the lenses has nothing to do with it, nor does the total bandwidth of spectra the sensor can record.

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    You asked a question. I answered. Now, if the sole purpose is to churn into to something else, as usual, I am out of that discussion.

  17. #17
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Godfrey, Vivek... Thanks for the explanation. You both explained things that I really never cared about. The reason is that I read what you both say and that's always been good enough for me. I trust your knowledge.
    For me, I want a B&W sensor. Why? Just because I do.

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Ok, so back to the original idea. Not that the B&W sensor isn't...

    I think of the GXR in a way that I think of my view cameras. Hold on....
    You can change focal lengths, film formats, color, B&W etc. you can do macro or closups etc. it's completely adaptable.
    The GXR is really similar in a way.
    It's easy to configure the camera to suit your needs.

    If an upgrade to the sensor is available, why not?
    Why buy the 2 A12 units as I did and then have them go obsolete?
    No one has mad a body with interchangeable sensors, to my knowledge.
    To move up means to dump and re buy.

    If the GXR can actually interchange sensors and firmware, that's the biggest plus in digital cameras yet. If not, the GXR won't survive the new wave about to come in.

    Sure it's a great camera and will make great images for years to come. That's great but to advance technology, it has to be adaptable.

    I think the Ricoh engineers know this and will do what must be done.
    My thoughts, just from a guy that uses the camera to make photos.
    Don

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    So, you and Vivek both want a B&W only sensor but cannot articulate a good reason why it has any advantage, despite the disadvantages I cited.

    Ok, that's cool. I doubt anyone's going to make one anyway ... it will be such a tiny niche market it can't be profitable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Ok, so back to the original idea. Not that the B&W sensor isn't...

    I think of the GXR in a way that I think of my view cameras. Hold on....
    You can change focal lengths, film formats, color, B&W etc. you can do macro or closups etc. it's completely adaptable.
    The GXR is really similar in a way.
    It's easy to configure the camera to suit your needs.

    If an upgrade to the sensor is available, why not?
    Why buy the 2 A12 units as I did and then have them go obsolete?
    No one has mad a body with interchangeable sensors, to my knowledge.
    To move up means to dump and re buy.

    If the GXR can actually interchange sensors and firmware, that's the biggest plus in digital cameras yet. If not, the GXR won't survive the new wave about to come in.

    Sure it's a great camera and will make great images for years to come. That's great but to advance technology, it has to be adaptable.

    I think the Ricoh engineers know this and will do what must be done.
    My thoughts, just from a guy that uses the camera to make photos.
    Don
    And as I said, I see nothing wrong with an upgrade to the A12 camera unit sensors if they offer it.

    What I see as absurd is the constant push from everyone on these forums that they "have to have" some kind of upgrade, constantly. This is the consumerist attitude which sucks up more and more useless marketing spin about the supposed advantage of every inconsequential change, no matter how infinitesimal, to drive more sales.

    I'll unsubscribe from this thread now. I wouldn't want my opinions to suggest a more pragmatic, sensible approach to equipment based on using and exploiting what it does rather than looking for the new features every ten minutes.

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Godfrey, we are all friends. You are very knowledgable as well as a fine shooter. If you leave this thread, it shall be noted as a loss.
    Please, I ask in front of all... Reconsider your stance and share your knowledge.

    I personally will appreciate it and would hate to suffer the loss.
    Don

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Ok

    Well, on DPR just now, I read responses from two folks who seem to have good Ricoh connections. They said that the Ricoh call center response implying that the A12 camera units would be upgradable to an A16 sensor was incorrect, a misunderstanding.

    I suspect the sensible way forward is to release new A16 camera units with the same lenses (with re-optimizations as appropriate) as time rolls forward. That way you get ongoing sensor development and improved operations with the GXR system going forward, and the cost is less than in a traditional system since you're only paying for the camera unit, not the whole camera.

    At $650 per A12 28 and 50 camera units, that's actually not too expensive given the quality of the lenses they include and the excellent sensor performance they already have. The sensor assembly is more than half the cost of the camera unit, I'm sure.

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    So, you and Vivek both want a B&W only sensor but cannot articulate a good reason why it has any advantage, despite the disadvantages I cited.
    Godfrey, See this (one of the latest such so I add it here): B&W Conversion

    There are also articles on the Kodak's monochrome camera and such on the web. Read them for yourself to check if your concerns hold any water.

    There are other reasons for my quest for a monochrome camera. I am not going to list them here since as such the topic has taken a detour.

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Thanks for the update. I also saw that the DPR. I don't like posting there but I do read.
    If Ricoh releases a few A16 units at say, $600.00 USD or so, what value would the used A12 units have? Not just financially but also in use.

    Vivek, cool link...thanks...

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Godfrey, See this (one of the latest such so I add it here): B&W Conversion

    There are also articles on the Kodak's monochrome camera and such on the web. Read them for yourself to check if your concerns hold any water.

    There are other reasons for my quest for a monochrome camera. I am not going to list them here since as such the topic has taken a detour.
    The example in that link has nothing in it to illustrate the concept I'm speaking of. Did you ever do B&W photography with film?

    I used the Kodak DCS760w for a while, belonged to a friend of mine who was using it for his work. To illustrate what I mean I'll have to do an example shoot for you, since you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

    But I won't bother since you don't seem to want to discuss it. It's a bit of work to do the example properly.

  25. #25
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Indeed, if you had not noticed it, I try to avoid interacting with you.

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Thanks for the update. I also saw that the DPR. I don't like posting there but I do read.
    If Ricoh releases a few A16 units at say, $600.00 USD or so, what value would the used A12 units have? Not just financially but also in use.
    Why would they release A16 camera units at prices lower than what the A12 camera units have sold well for?

    What value do the A12 camera units have now, both financially and in use? The resale price will go down, but in use ... they are exactly the same as what you're using now. Is your photographic effort constrained so much that 15% more linear resolution or an extra stop of usable sensitivity is going to make that much of a difference?

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Indeed, if you had not noticed it, I try to avoid interacting with you.
    Ok, that's easy. The ignore function is helpful.

  28. #28
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Godfrey, we are all friends. You are very knowledgable as well as a fine shooter. If you leave this thread, it shall be noted as a loss.
    Please, I ask in front of all... Reconsider your stance and share your knowledge.

    I personally will appreciate it and would hate to suffer the loss.
    Don
    +1

    Well said, Don

    Keith

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Thanks Keith...that's why I do Admin work....

  30. #30
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Why would they release A16 camera units at prices lower than what the A12 camera units have sold well for?

    What value do the A12 camera units have now, both financially and in use? The resale price will go down, but in use ... they are exactly the same as what you're using now. Is your photographic effort constrained so much that 15% more linear resolution or an extra stop of usable sensitivity is going to make that much of a difference?
    My photographic work is not in the least constrained.
    I do very well in my area. I don't see anything negative with upgrading gear.
    If the GXR keeps expanding, I will hang in with it for a long time. If not, I still will. This camera offers no intrusion on my vision.

    Changing sensors, lensors only adds to the adaptability and offers maybe another way of seeing.

    This is wanted by all. A camera that allows your vision to reach its potential, challeng that vision and help you find that vision.

    If upgrades aren't really needed, why would you add the M9?
    Not because it's a Leica, that's not the issue, is it?

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    If Ricoh brings out a B & W Lensor, I'm standing in line for it. Here is a good discussion between a veteran photographic magazine editor and a physicist looking at all the nuances around this topic. Please read this if you haven't already, you will enjoy it.

    The Online Photographer: Mike and Ctein Discuss B&W-Only Sensor Implementation (Digital B&W Part III)

    Ricoh's digital DNA has black and white running through it - so I wouldn't be surprised if they do something.

    Keith

  32. #32
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Thanks Keith.

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    ...
    If upgrades aren't really needed, why would you add the M9?
    Not because it's a Leica, that's not the issue, is it?
    The Leica M9 isn't an "upgrade."

    Although I've owned Leica cameras of all sorts for thirty and more years, the fact that the M9 is a Leica is one of the smallest points of my purchasing it. The fact that it is an optical rangefinder camera which takes my existing lenses is the important part.

    It's a different kind of camera with a different format, with a different kind of focusing and viewfinder. I work with it differently from how I work with the GXR; its different format and its different focusing/viewing system allow me to see in a different way.

    I didn't need the additional pixel resolution the M9 offers. I had considered the M8 or Epson R-D1 to save money but what I wanted were the imaging qualities, driven by the format size, and as close to the handling/in-use characteristics of the film Ms as I could get. The M9 is the only game in town for what I was after.

    The M cameras are very different from the GXR in that respect, and it's something that I've missed since I sold my last Ms in 2002. I'm happy to have it back, as in 2002 it was unclear as to whether Leica would survive at all or whether there could ever be a digital camera in the same format that would work properly with the RF lenses.

    If anything, the M9 is for me a retrograde or sideways step ... re-acquiring an older camera type and shooting style that I prefer.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    If Ricoh brings out a B & W Lensor, I'm standing in line for it. Here is a good discussion between a veteran photographic magazine editor and a physicist looking at all the nuances around this topic. Please read this if you haven't already, you will enjoy it.

    The Online Photographer: Mike and Ctein Discuss B&W-Only Sensor Implementation (Digital B&W Part III)

    Ricoh's digital DNA has black and white running through it - so I wouldn't be surprised if they do something.
    Read that when it was first published, thanks for reminding me of it.

    I think Ctein dances lightly across the finesse possible by manipulating RGB curves along with using multiple layers and masking as opposed to optical B&W filtering. Changing the RGB filtering selectively within an image is also not possible by filtering optically ... and easily done in image processing. Of course, with a monochrome sensor, you can always shoot filtered R, G and B layers independently and blend them for color (like we do with science instruments) ... that nets the full capabilities of the color information but is somewhat 'disadvantaged' for doing people photography.

    And remember: with digital imaging it's all numbers. I can manipulate the numbers with infinitely more precision than I can select and manipulate which filter I choose, even if I can't do it with sliders in a clumsy dialog window. I use to write image processing software for NASA ... ;-)

  35. #35
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Godfrey, I'm an old M shooter also. I still have more bodies and lenses then most stores in stock. I was the buyer at Kosmins here in Philly.
    Ok, I'm qualified to understand your reason for the M9.
    I get it 100%.
    The reason you have the M9 is the exact reason why I want a B&W sensor.
    To help me see what I see differently.

    By the way. The eppy RD1-s is a nice camera and makes the best images ever from a 6mp camera but the Rangefinder ... Well... If Moses used it, there would be another Commandment....

  36. #36
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    . . .. .
    By the way. The eppy RD1-s is a nice camera and makes the best images ever from a 6mp camera but the Rangefinder ... Well... If Moses used it, there would be another Commandment....
    My RD-1s is still for sale on Craigs List, maybe I should change my mind. Best picture in the only photo book I ever done is from that camera.
    Following closely for IQ in my collection is the Minolta 7D (same sensor?) - I'm still shooting a lot with that one.

    Hope this turns into a discussion of Black and White film, stuff gets buried down in that analog section. Film is fifty percent of my time these days - vive la figital revolution. Trying some 127 in my Yashica 44 at the weekend - square is beautiful

    Keith

  37. #37
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Read that when it was first published, thanks for reminding me of it.

    I think Ctein dances lightly across the finesse possible by manipulating RGB curves along with using multiple layers and masking as opposed to optical B&W filtering. Changing the RGB filtering selectively within an image is also not possible by filtering optically ... and easily done in image processing. Of course, with a monochrome sensor, you can always shoot filtered R, G and B layers independently and blend them for color (like we do with science instruments) ... that nets the full capabilities of the color information but is somewhat 'disadvantaged' for doing people photography.

    And remember: with digital imaging it's all numbers. I can manipulate the numbers with infinitely more precision than I can select and manipulate which filter I choose, even if I can't do it with sliders in a clumsy dialog window. I use to write image processing software for NASA ... ;-)
    Ctein also kind of dismisses a mere 20-30 percent increase in resolution, whereas we all know how easy it is to recognize a sensor with the AA filter removed . .

    Keith

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Godfrey, I'm an old M shooter also. I still have more bodies and lenses then most stores in stock. I was the buyer at Kosmins here in Philly.
    Ok, I'm qualified to understand your reason for the M9.
    I get it 100%.
    The reason you have the M9 is the exact reason why I want a B&W sensor.
    To help me see what I see differently....
    I can understand that. The problem I have with it is that, in use, it just didnt pan out very well ... The resolution and sensitivity of the Kodak were fine for the time, but to get the results I wanted required the same dance with filters and such that image processing of RGB data freed me from. If it happens, and you go for it, I'll be very interested to see what you make of it.

    I've never been satisfied with any of the cameras' I've had in-camera B&W rendering either. Just find it awkward and not quite what I want. YMMV

  39. #39
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    ...
    Hope this turns into a discussion of Black and White film, stuff gets buried down in that analog section. Film is fifty percent of my time these days - vive la figital revolution. Trying some 127 in my Yashica 44 at the weekend - square is beautiful.
    :-)

    Speaking of which, my uncle handed me his lovely Polaroid SX-70 over the weekend. I just ordered a few packs of The Impossible Project film for it, both BW and color. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the BW most.

  40. #40
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    This is sounding like the serendipity of Dickens. The only Leica I ever had was a nice IIIg, some 35 years ago. I sold it for a . . . . SX-70, which I still have.

    Let me know how that film goes, shall I buy some?

    Keith

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Upgrade your lensor sensor to 16mp?

    Wow, this thread really took off, and I didn't look at for several days. I got the same answer from Cristian Sorega, who asked a Ricoh contact about the sensor upgrade. I figured it was a mistake but Ricoh's kinda kooky, so I thought, well, just maybe.

    The reason I would look forward to an A16 module, for example, is that I actually shoot in candlelight sometimes (restaurants) and those scenes sometimes include some faster motion (waitstaff) and in those situations I can't have high enough ISO. It's a relatively small niche of photography, but it's mine. If it was the Sony sensor used in the D7000, Nex 5N, Sony A580, Pentax K5, etc, I'd be very pleased. It's a great sensor just as the 12 megapixel one Ricoh is using is a great sensor (same I believe as the D300, A700, D90, etc?)

    Has anyone heard definitively (or just conjecturally) if the 16 megapixel sensor in the upcoming zoom unit is a Sony chip or an Aptina?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •