The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Something Different with the A900

jonoslack

Hi Brad
Hi Jono,
I think the A900 is the bargain of the decade. Very impressive.
-Brad
It certainly does seem to be a good bang for the buck in the present market.
Not much plastic in the camera either!

Hi Lili
jonoslack, love them all, but the sshot of the water...it looks so very WET, excellent image :)
Hi Lili
Thank you - there's nothing like wet water!
There's a nice 3d feel about the images - at least, I think so. I'm not sure how you do justice to 24mp files at 900x900!

Hi David
So maybe it will be a contender
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2370
Hi Jono
Must confess the name Zeiss T* brings back fond memories from my Contax 137MA, RTS 11 days. So if I need to go full frame the Sony with the 24-70 and 135 f1.8 have to be a good option. I'm not a "Wide" boy, despite what some say but the Zeiss is on the way and there is some good old minolta stuff out there If I needed it.
You are right - some of the old minolta stuff has come 'forward' to Sony. I tried to buy a 50mm f1.4 on ebay, but it went for nearly £200, so I bought a new one for $240 - it's lovely, nice bokeh, small etc.

the 135 f1.8 is a big beast - lovely for portraits, but too much for me. I've got the Zeiss 24-70 though, and the Sony 70-300 G - both seem sharp, quit and responsive - lovely

As for the cats and dogs - well, they're all urinating in the wrong place and causing trouble.

I hope all is well with you.

jonoslack

Jono, these are wonderful. I especially like the first two of your dog as well as the portraits with the 50/1.4. Excellent stuff!
Thank you Amin . . . it's kind of cheesy to take pictures of the dog . . . . and children are even worse!

It's nice of you to be so understanding (especially when they aren't as cute as your kids!)!

A

asabet

Thank you Amin . . . it's kind of cheesy to take pictures of the dog . . . . and children are even worse!
I guess I'm just cheesy, because I love both. In fact, I think that most landscape photos could be improved by including at least one dog or child in them :).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jono, these are really beautiful. This is the best photo of Blue that I have seen. The portraits are very nice. How are the colors coming out compared to your Nikon and Oly?

jonoslack

I guess I'm just cheesy, because I love both. In fact, I think that most landscape photos could be improved by including at least one dog or child in them :).
I suppose I do agree. Certainly lots of mine have a dog somewhere . . . well, a tail or a leg of a dog at least!

As for the children - ours are not at an age where they spend a lot of time in landscapes. So I have to provide alcohol, and then, begrudgingly, I can take pictures of them in the kitchen. They also bring home pretty girls, but it's rather important not to seem like a dirty old man (which, of course, one is), so care is required!

jonoslack

Jono, these are really beautiful. This is the best photo of Blue that I have seen. The portraits are very nice. How are the colors coming out compared to your Nikon and Oly?
Thanks Cindy.
The biggest tribute I can give to the colour, is that, like the Olympus colour, I don't give it much thought - it seems to be effortless right - greens are especially good.
For me at least, if I notice something wrong with the colour, then it's wrong, if I don't . . . it must be right!

There is a nice transparency (3D look) about the files though.

I'm shooting daylight WB (sunny symbol) outside, and tungsten inside as usual.

Has your new toy arrived yet?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cindy.
The biggest tribute I can give to the colour, is that, like the Olympus colour, I don't give it much thought - it seems to be effortless right - greens are especially good.
For me at least, if I notice something wrong with the colour, then it's wrong, if I don't . . . it must be right!

There is a nice transparency (3D look) about the files though.

I'm shooting daylight WB (sunny symbol) outside, and tungsten inside as usual.

Has your new toy arrived yet?
Yes, Jono. It showed up this afternoon,:thumbup: but I didn't have time to play yet.
My new toy: Olympus E3, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD and a 1.4x extender. This should give me coverage from (35mm equiv)24-560mm in two lenses f/2.8-f5.6(w/extender).:thumbup: It all should fit nicely in my Domke F2. Oh, and did I mention built-in IS?:thumbs: Now all I need is a fast prime for portraits.:clap:

jonoslack

Yes, Jono. It showed up this afternoon,:thumbup: but I didn't have time to play yet.
My new toy: Olympus E3, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD and a 1.4x extender. This should give me coverage from (35mm equiv)24-560mm in two lenses f/2.8-f5.6(w/extender).:thumbup: It all should fit nicely in my Domke F2. Oh, and did I mention built-in IS?:thumbs: Now all I need is a fast prime for portraits.:clap:
Excellent - I think you'll love it. I guess you'll be thinking along the 24mm f1.4 route for portraits? If you don't need it QUITE so fast, then the 50mm f2 does a grand job, is much smaller, is weather sealed AND is probably the sharpest macro lens I've ever used!

all the best

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) You'll be surprised to hear the last portrait shoot I did I ended up drinking red wine until 2 in the morning (...)
I somewhat doubt that Jono will be surprised to hear that, considering his excellent family portraits which not rarely includes the taste of undoubtedly excellent red wine as well as lively conversations until the early morning :D

Congrats with your new system, Jono. The actual pixels crop looks very crisp to my eye.

jonoslack

I somewhat doubt that Jono will be surprised to hear that, considering his excellent family portraits which not rarely includes the taste of undoubtedly excellent red wine as well as lively conversations until the early morning :D

Congrats with your new system, Jono. The actual pixels crop looks very crisp to my eye.
David and Steen.
Steen, what you won't know is that David bought some Nikon gear from me a couple of years ago . . . he arrived at lunchtime and left the next morning (and would have stolen the cat if Emma hadn't wrenched it out of his grip).

As for the red wine - keep thinking it's all the best claret if you like, but with three 20 something year old kids and their friends lurking, you'd better believe it's just cheap plonk! David will be witness to this, as he's also spent time in the kitchen with a glass in his hand.

So, Steen - it must be your turn . . I've a 25mm Zeiss ZF lens and a couple of CV nikon fits (58 and 40mm) - pop over and pick 'em up!

:)