The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any chance for a Leica R to A900 Adapter?

apsheng

The A900 certainly looks interesting for me - larger pixel size, in-camera image stabilization, and perhaps weaker AA filter. However, I don't think an adapter exists for the R lenses. Is there any fundamental reason such as film plane distance or flange openning that make it impossible to adapt R lenses?
Thanks,
Alan

V

Vivek

Alan, In principle, it is possible. It is only a matter of time some one comes up with a F to Alpha(more useful, IMO), R to Alpha, etc adapters.

dhsimmonds

Does anyone have any new information on adaptors for the Minolta mount? I would love to try my Leica R glass on the A900. I wonder if the focus confirmation light would work the same as it does on Canon DSLR's?

Stuart Richardson

I just searched the web for this, and a post at photo.net said this:

"Some time ago I asked Novoflex whether such an adapter was feasible. The response was "no": the Leica/Leitz R mount's diameter is larger than the Minolta MC/MD one's, which means there's no physical space for an adapter (unless you sacrifice infinity focus). Bad news indeed."

Stuart Richardson

well, changing the mount is a completely different story, involving more work, expense and preventing you from using the lens on a native R camera. It's great if you just have one or two lenses that you want to use on the camera, and don't still shoot the original mount. If you have a lot of R lenses, still shoot an R for film (or intend to use an R10 in the future), replacing the mount is a problem.

douglasf13

I just searched the web for this, and a post at photo.net said this:

"Some time ago I asked Novoflex whether such an adapter was feasible. The response was "no": the Leica/Leitz R mount's diameter is larger than the Minolta MC/MD one's, which means there's no physical space for an adapter (unless you sacrifice infinity focus). Bad news indeed."
The A900 has the maxxum A mount, which is larger than MD/MC. Still, mount replacement is the only solution so far.

I'm an A900 owner, but I'll admit Canon is the way to go if you want to use mainly alternative lenses. They have the most adaptable mount, and, unless there is a firmware change, the A900 doesn't focus confirm and can only be used in M mode unless you have a special chipped adapter**.

That being said, I've started trying my Hassie 150 Sonnar on the A900 via adapter, and it's looking good so far :)

** there are good m42 chipped adapters available

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I have just asked David at leitax.com if he could replace the mount on a Sony, Nikon or Pentax camera body with a Leica R mount ? Unfortunately his answer was no. He only offers the replacement for the lens bayonet, at this moment the Pentax K mount and within a week or two also the Nikon F mount.