The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tractors, chickens and 20mm f2.8

Quentin_Bargate

Hmmm. I shot some pics at my relatives 70th birthday at the National Theatre last Friday, following on from the shots I took a week earlier at my colleagues wedding in Geneva, all with the Nikon D700. Some were at 12,000 ISO and they had excellent colour and detail. You have seen a few from the wedding already. How would the Sony have fared?

I like what I see from your skilled hands, Jono, but I worry that the A900 is a one trick pony - high resolution certainly, but maybe less good than the excellent D700, with its long Nikon heritage, elsewhere.

Keep the samples coming, Jono, including a few at high ISO (how about 6,400?).

I guess there is no one perfect tool, but we can dream :toocool:

Quentin

jonoslack

Hmmm. I shot some pics at my relatives 70th birthday at the National Theatre last Friday, following on from the shots I took a week earlier at my colleagues wedding in Geneva, all with the Nikon D700. Some were at 12,000 ISO and they had excellent colour and detail. You have seen a few from the wedding already. How would the Sony have fared?
Well, without having tried it, I don't know - certainly 12,000 would be impossible. Some have reported that if you scale the images down to the same size as the D3 images at 3200 and 6400, then the difference is not so great (David Kilpatrick from BJP)

I like what I see from your skilled hands, Jono, but I worry that the A900 is a one trick pony - high resolution certainly, but maybe less good than the excellent D700, with its long Nikon heritage, elsewhere.
Well, on that basis you could say that the D700 was a one trick pony as well - high ISO being that trick.

Actually using the camera I'd say the Sony was much nicer to use, kind of like a cross between Nikon and Olympus. One real joy is the 'spot toggle' exposure lock button - i.e., leave it on matrix metering, but if you want a spot from a point, you press the button and it takes a spot reading from the point, and then locks that until you press the button again. I use this all the time.

Menus are much easier and simpler (and with less options of course!)

Keep the samples coming, Jono, including a few at high ISO (how about 6,400?).

I guess there is no one perfect tool, but we can dream :toocool:

Quentin
No - we'll have to dream!

Joan

This last one was my favorite though

Mine, too. Wonderful shot! They all look great to me, Jono, but it's no surprise that you make the A900 sing. All the technical analysis is great (but boring to me) in the end it's whether you can use it to do what you want to do. Seems you can, in spades.