The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A900 and Wide Angle

jonoslack

Hi there
Well, I haven't got there yet!
I've got the Sony 20mm f2.8 . . . . . and it's nice and small, but, the problem is that if you stop down beyond f8, then it isn't really that sharp . . and if you shoot faster than f8, then the corners aren't good. Added to which there is quite a lot of CA.

I've also got the Sigma 12-24, which, at around the same price, is a better bet. You still need to stop right down to get sharp corners . . but it doesn't seem to get softer in the middle. Maybe you could consider it as a 13-22 f8! Mind you, I'm not all that fussed about shooting wide open with WA lenses, but I do like them to be sharp.

I suppose the real truth is that, as long as it's comparable with the Nikon 14-24, the Zeiss 16-35 is going to be needed when it appears :-(

Still, all this doesn't detract from the fact that the A900 produces lovely, detailed files, Here are a few samples (without the pixel peeping crops).

The first two were taken with the 20mm Sony f2.8:

Here are a few with the Sigma 12-24:

Reaching out:

I was walking across the fields - a long long way from the nearest house, and in the middle of a field I found some scrubby willows, an overgrown pond and an old bench . . . . . and a rabbit on a post:

Closer examination made me wonder whether it might be a hare:

All pictures were shot RAW with daylight white balance, converted to DNG and processed in Aperture.

All except the first two were all taken just before sundown