The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dp2 merrill?

faneuil

Sigma sensors doesn't get their due. They are wonderful imaging machines if one knows how to use it. Best skin tones I've ever seen (short of MF digital)

Eric

Quentin_Bargate

My DP2M has arrived. It came with two batteries - is this usual? The camera is rumored to be a battery eater, so 2 will be useful One charging now...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just ordered 4 more compatible batteries as it does seem to hoover electrons.....

Bob

G

gs363

dp2 merrill viewfinder?

Does anyone know if Sigma is offering or plans to offer an accessory 45mm viewfinder for the DP2m? And is there a focus confirmation light that may be visible peripherally if one has one's eye to such a viewfinder?

docmoore

Sigma has one for the DP2 regular camera which is 41mm equivalent....

Pentax has a 47mm equivalent....

Voigtlander a 40mm equivalent...

The Sigma DP2 Merrill is a 45mm equivalent lens.

There is a small green focus confirmation light on the top of the camera viewable in peripheral vision when AF locks in but not in MF. SO no easy way other than to move your vision if MF to look at the back LCD.

With AF/MF you can leave screen off and rely on AF or use screen to access settings and fine tune AF...with a 10 sec off setting.

With lens scale you can use the DOF and distance settings to get in the zone....
this will be a better option on the DP1 Merrill as it is a bit wider and should have a bit more in focus.

All of the above VF options have VF lines so you will see all that is necessary to frame the camera.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Godfrey

Re: dp2 merrill viewfinder?

I use a Voigtländer 35mm OVF on the GXR with similar focal length lens. Is close enough.

With both GXR and X2, zone focus works well for most lenses in the 15-35mm range as long as you're working at f/5.6-8. Wider apertures with 45EFL and you'll need to focus more critically.

docmoore

Godfrey,

I agree ... looking at the photos from this camera and the narrow DOF scale at almost any distance....no way.

It was easy with my DP1 but smaller sensor and much wider EFL.

Bob

G

gs363

Thanks for the viewfinder information. I didn't know about the Pentax 47 mmVF. I use the Voigtlanger 28mm on a Ricoh GRD and I enjoy that way of shooting very much. An integrated viewfinder would be better, but that's a different subject.

Quentin_Bargate

Sigma VF-21 is sold as compatible with the DP2M. I have one and its not far off. I believe as Bob says it was designed for the DP2. I have it fitted but I mainly use the rear screen. The green light is reasobaly large just below and to the right of where the viewfinder slots in to the hotshoe.