The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Announces G-1 Prices

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Official US prices from this MarketWatch story:
Panasonic today announced pricing for the world's first Micro Four Thirds System camera, the LUMIX DMC-G1 -- available in mid-November for a suggested retail price of $799.95, which includes the LUMIX G VARIO 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA O.I.S. kit lens. Also available in November, the LUMIX G VARIO 45-200mm/F4.0-5.6/MEGA O.I.S. telephoto Micro Four Thirds lens has a suggested retail price of $349.95.​
UK prices from this Which? News story:
The cost of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 has been set at £599.99 and it will be released on November 1, 2008. The cost will include a standard 14-45mm kit lens.

A second 45-200mm telefocal lens will also be released at the same time, and this will cost £329.99. If the two lenses are bought as a bundle, then the second lens will be sold for half price.
The 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens is slated for a "spring release."

I guess I'll have to wait and see whether they ship the body only or a body + 20/1.7 kit. But I won't hold my breath.

jonoslack

$399 OR £329 for the lens . . . it's rip-off britain again!

I guess the price will come down, still, the entry of £750 for the two lens kit is not too outrageous

penny counting time!

V

Vivek

Thanks, Bertie. That is pricey.

I wonder how much a M4/3rds to Leica M (obviously with no electrical contacts) would cost?

(FWIW, the 4/3rds to M42 adapter (quite well made) from PRC costs $11/- including shipping!)

V

Vivek

Prices for the G1 kit are shown on Dutch web-shops (749 Euros and up).

E

elgreco

Seems to be cheap here in Europe, Vivek, taken into account that in the US prices usually exclude VAT.

Here in Germany prices are starting at EUR 632.20 including VAT. Without the 19% VAT the G1 and KIT lense will cost EUR 531.26. At the current EUR-USD-exchangerate that price corresponds to USD 668.85. That is a whole lot less than the suggested retail price of USD 799.95.

So buying the Lumix G1 in Europe is a bargain.

V

Vivek

elgreco (is that your name?), Thanks! I should look carefully. The prices are enticing, indeed!:)