The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR 28mm / X100

C

craigatkinson

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't find the thread if so.
I have a Ricoh GRD4 and a Fuji X100. Love both but feel the X100 is difficult to use 'one-handed', grip being the issue, and thumb hitting buttons, changing settings accidentally.

I'm thinking of the Ricoh GXR + 28mm instead of the X100. I believe since the recent firmware update to the X100, the GXR is slower in terms of AF.

I know the GXR feels better and has a UI that's second to none. In terms of IQ though can anyone give side by side examples or reviews based on experience? I know the Ricoh is 'grainier' but like that peculiarity Ricoh use.

The main use is street / snap / everyday. I'm used to 28mm but the 35 of the Fuji I have taken to well.

I suppose one issue I have, which is perhaps unfair, is that the GXR is an old camera now and to spend the same on it as the X100 feels daft.

I'm attaching an X100 shot so you get the idea of the kind of processing I apply / image I take - very vague, I know!
There's more here

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have no idea of course, since I own neither camera, but your photos are totally lovely. Welcome to this forum!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Don (streetshooter) swears by the GXR with the A12 28mm - and has similar tastes in images to yours (I think . . ) Let's see if he picks up on this.

Keith

David Teo

Hi

Would you consider shooting both?

I did almost exactly what you are considering - I have a X100 and bought a new GXR with 28mm module to complement it - I wanted to shoot wider, and 28mm is also a familiar focal length for me, plus I've read so much about the superior ergonomics of the GRD that I wanted to give Ricoh cameras a try, since shooting on the streets is my passion.

Except I did not replace the X100 - it's still my favorite camera, with a shooting experience replicating that of a Leica M6 with 35mm cron, my old favorite setup.

I got the GXR to shoot alongside the X100 on the streets - 2 small nimble cameras each with a different focal length and each acts as a backup for one another if one camera fails or breaks.

The bonus is that both cameras actually takes the same kind of batteries - yes you read that right, they use the same batteries and I've bought a while bunch of cheap third party batteries to feed both as they run down batteries pretty fast, more so for the X100.

I bought the EVF for the GXR thinking I will not survive without a viewfinder but in truth, I spend more time using it Daido Moriyama style, or simply framing with the LCD. It freed up my need to look through a finder. With the X100 I am wedded to the wonderful optical finder, so I do use the cameras differently, while carrying both at the same time.

Here's a fashion shoot in which I carried just these 2 cameras - I am the only official photog to do that, without a long lens :p I got curious looks from my colleagues but I am happy with what I got rather than the standard shots.

New Face of Asia Finals 2012 - a set on Flickr

The X100 does focus faster than the GXR - I find the GXR more fun with the snap focus mode.

You can check out recent posts on my blog for other examples of using these 2 cameras on actual shoots.

David
http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Last edited:
C

craigatkinson

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Don replied - I asked him in Flickr. As you mentioned, he's a huge GXR fan.
David - thanks for your reply, very helpful - and great photos on your site. I don't think I could have both. I'm pretty much a 'one-tool person'! with the exception of the GRD4. To have both I would have to sell the GRD4 and I think that would result in me not always having a camera with me.

I believe the GXR is slower [to focus] and louder [taking a shot] than the X100 with the new firmware. Also the X100 better at high ISO?

However, when using the GRD whilst walking, 80% of shots are using 'snap' at auto distance, generally from the hip / head.

I suppose my two questions are...

Does the GXR 28mm function the same as the GRD4 / GRD3 in terms of sound / speed / focussing etc?

Is the GXR 28mm IQ to the same standard as the X100 - I can't tell from samples online as there are no side-by-sides and I do pixel peep I'm afraid!

David Teo

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Don replied - I asked him in Flickr. As you mentioned, he's a huge GXR fan.
David - thanks for your reply, very helpful - and great photos on your site. I don't think I could have both. I'm pretty much a 'one-tool person'! with the exception of the GRD4. To have both I would have to sell the GRD4 and I think that would result in me not always having a camera with me.

I believe the GXR is slower [to focus] and louder [taking a shot] than the X100 with the new firmware. Also the X100 better at high ISO?

However, when using the GRD whilst walking, 80% of shots are using 'snap' at auto distance, generally from the hip / head.

I suppose my two questions are...

Does the GXR 28mm function the same as the GRD4 / GRD3 in terms of sound / speed / focussing etc?

Is the GXR 28mm IQ to the same standard as the X100 - I can't tell from samples online as there are no side-by-sides and I do pixel peep I'm afraid!
Hi

I am outside now (day time here in Singapore :)) so I can't shoot samples to show, but from my experience with these two cameras.....

1. X100 is faster to focus, especially in low light.
2. X100 is silent while focusing, as the lens of the GXR makes a grinding noise while moving. I can't say for sure if it's e same for the GRD as I have limited experience with that.
3. I am guessing the GRD 4 will be a tad faster to focal due to the External phase detect sensors. My guess....
4. X100 is also better in high iso - however the GXR files have a certain grittiness which I like as well. Using RAW it's no problem.
5. DOF is shallow even with a APS-C sensor - u can't zone focus at f2.5 and expect a tack sharp image. At least I can't - gotta work on my distance estimation... Compared to a small sensor camera like the grd, you will need to watch out for this...
6. Both cameras have very quiet shutters, essentially silent. Thr GXR in snap focus mode is very discrete....

I will try to shoot side by side samples tonight! :)

C

craigatkinson

Hi

I am outside now (day time here in Singapore :)) so I can't shoot samples to show, but from my experience with these two cameras.....

1. X100 is faster to focus, especially in low light.
2. X100 is silent while focusing, as the lens of the GXR makes a grinding noise while moving. I can't say for sure if it's e same for the GRD as I have limited experience with that.
3. I am guessing the GRD 4 will be a tad faster to focal due to the External phase detect sensors. My guess....
4. X100 is also better in high iso - however the GXR files have a certain grittiness which I like as well. Using RAW it's no problem.
5. DOF is shallow even with a APS-C sensor - u can't zone focus at f2.5 and expect a tack sharp image. At least I can't - gotta work on my distance estimation... Compared to a small sensor camera like the grd, you will need to watch out for this...
6. Both cameras have very quiet shutters, essentially silent. Thr GXR in snap focus mode is very discrete....

I will try to shoot side by side samples tonight! :)
Thanks David, much appreciated.

Godfrey

I bought the GXR + A12 28mm lens + GV-1 optical finder after playing with an X100 and not liking it very much at all, that was April 2011. After I'd worked with that for a month and a cross country trip, I was so delighted with it that I ordered the A12 50mm Macro and the EVF, and found a nice Leitz 5.0cm Brightline finder to supplement that.

That was a superb two-lens AF compact kit, but I prefer manual focus and wasn't happy with these camera units' manual focusing. Then I heard about the A12 Camera Mount coming up to take M-bayonet lenses. I put myself on the pre-order list and had one of the first ones that Popflash.com received in Sept/Oct.

In October 2011, I went on a three week photo vacation to the UK, Ireland, and Isle of Man with the GXR+A12 Camera Mount+EVF and 21/40/90 mm lenses. The results are delightful—this camera replaces my SLR system cameras nearly entirely, takes up much less space and is far lighter.

And when I want a simple, automated compact, I swap the A12 28 or A12 50 camera unit in, fit the optical finder, and go shooting. Simple as that.

Whether the Fuji X100 is better or worse on some scorecard or spec I don't know, and I don't care. The GXR is just great: flexible, superb controls and configurability, and a chameleon that can change into a different camera in a moment. It produces great photos that rival what comes out of my M9, and is a handy bit more compact as well.

The latest firmware on the Fuji X100 has improved it quite a lot ... but note that there have been several good firmware improvements lent to the GXR since last year too.

The fact that the camera is three years old ... eh? I ain't young neither, and I still think I'm good enough to satisfy... ];-)

C

craigatkinson

I bought the GXR + A12 28mm lens + GV-1 optical finder after playing with an X100 and not liking it very much at all, that was April 2011. After I'd worked with that for a month and a cross country trip, I was so delighted with it that I ordered the A12 50mm Macro and the EVF, and found a nice Leitz 5.0cm Brightline finder to supplement that.

That was a superb two-lens AF compact kit, but I prefer manual focus and wasn't happy with these camera units' manual focusing. Then I heard about the A12 Camera Mount coming up to take M-bayonet lenses. I put myself on the pre-order list and had one of the first ones that Popflash.com received in Sept/Oct.

In October 2011, I went on a three week photo vacation to the UK, Ireland, and Isle of Man with the GXR+A12 Camera Mount+EVF and 21/40/90 mm lenses. The results are delightful—this camera replaces my SLR system cameras nearly entirely, takes up much less space and is far lighter.

And when I want a simple, automated compact, I swap the A12 28 or A12 50 camera unit in, fit the optical finder, and go shooting. Simple as that.

Whether the Fuji X100 is better or worse on some scorecard or spec I don't know, and I don't care. The GXR is just great: flexible, superb controls and configurability, and a chameleon that can change into a different camera in a moment. It produces great photos that rival what comes out of my M9, and is a handy bit more compact as well.

The latest firmware on the Fuji X100 has improved it quite a lot ... but note that there have been several good firmware improvements lent to the GXR since last year too.

The fact that the camera is three years old ... eh? I ain't young neither, and I still think I'm good enough to satisfy... ];-)
Thanks Godfrey, that's a help. To be honest I think I'd only get the 28mm. The more I use the X100 the more I'm into it, and 35mm, but then I use the GRD4 again and remember why I love it. Maybe though GXR+GRD is overkill?

OlliL

Not really overkill, as you said yourself that you can carry the GRD absolutely everywhere. :)
Unfortunately I have no experiences with the GXR, but I do love Ricoh, so I used to complement my X100 with a GRD I and II at some point.
What I really like about the Ricohs is that they are awesome for street shooting. I almost felt invisible, something I can't say about the X100.

C

craigatkinson

Not really overkill, as you said yourself that you can carry the GRD absolutely everywhere. :)
Unfortunately I have no experiences with the GXR, but I do love Ricoh, so I used to complement my X100 with a GRD I and II at some point.
What I really like about the Ricohs is that they are awesome for street shooting. I almost felt invisible, something I can't say about the X100.
true!

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey, that's a help. To be honest I think I'd only get the 28mm. The more I use the X100 the more I'm into it, and 35mm, but then I use the GRD4 again and remember why I love it. Maybe though GXR+GRD is overkill?
Whatever floats it for you. :)

The main difference between GXR and either GRD or X100 is that the GXR is a system camera where the others are fixed lens cameras. Plusses and minuses to both.

And yeah, speaking of overkill, I want a Leica X2 as well. Sigh.

Thorkil

The GXR is just such a lovely camera, with the 28mm, sharp...splendid colours too, allthough I use the vivid setting, which is that more punchy without beeing overdone.
Would like those colours on my D800E. I'm aiming for a M-module, but I'm waiting for the rumored 16Mp M to turn up, for my Leica and voightländer lenses. Hope it will turn up soon!
thorkil