The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 vs H3 vs AFD III on Dyxum

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now, that is a fair comparison!;):D
All comparisons are fair, including Ken Rockwell's between a 5D and a camera phone. Sometimes, it doesn't matter what we use, sometimes it matters.

People with pocket cameras more or less consistently get better party shots than I do with a DSLR. There are many reasons for that. One is that I hate doing party shots, but another, I think, is that pocket cameras are designed for party shots. I did much better when I only had an A95 (I still miss that camera, but my caddie ran away with it :LOL: Or rather: my former caddie :scry: ).

Give me a Hasselblad, and I promise to screw up completely :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

True, Jorgen.

Only last week, a bunch of pocketcams outdid the D300/14-24 combo at a party.:eek:

jonoslack

Don't you ever sleep?
Seemingly not at the moment - working 'til 4.30am on Tuesday morning and 2.15am this morning

zzzzzzz

I agree about all comparisons being fair . . . . but they aren't always useful!

As for the pocket camera at parties bit - don't you think it's because one is so much less obvious - the M8 is also good, people don't seem to notice it, but if you stick a D700 with a 24-70 in people's faces then it certainly puts you at a disadvantage.

Quentin_Bargate

There are focus issues in the eye test. The mamiya old men shot is front focused and underexposed and there are issues with the H3- pretty hopeless as a serious test, basically. Still, the Sony looks good, no doubt about it, but as a serious comparison - forget it.

Quentin

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As for the pocket camera at parties bit - don't you think it's because one is so much less obvious - the M8 is also good, people don't seem to notice it, but if you stick a D700 with a 24-70 in people's faces then it certainly puts you at a disadvantage.
You're probably right, but I have to admit it's going better after I bought this huge, big Metz thing on a stick. It really makes the atmosphere lighter :LOL:

jonoslack

There are focus issues in the eye test. The mamiya old men shot is front focused and underexposed and there are issues with the H3- pretty hopeless as a serious test, basically. Still, the Sony looks good, no doubt about it, but as a serious comparison - forget it.

Quentin
:) quite right - and if you incorporate Mr Reichman's 'are you kidding' article. We may as well all use g10's . . . . come to think of it, I bet you could do a similar comparison between a G10 and a camera on a phone . . . .

Comparing formats is so hard - I saw someone recently saying that 35mm film resolved much more than the A900 :eek:

V

Vivek

Comparing formats is so hard - I saw someone recently saying that 35mm film resolved much more than the A900:eek:
Jono, Depends on the film. ;)

Quentin_Bargate

Kodak Tech Pan....I used to develop that stuff at home. Very difficult to get even development, but amazing resolution - but boy, am I glad I don't use the stuff anymore:)

Quentin

V

Vivek

Aside from Techpan (discontinued and I am holding onto my last rolls), there was this Gigabit (rebadged Agfa Copex, it still exists under different names) for B&W.

Ektar 25 is pretty close to Techpan but in color (reds aren't all that great). The current Ektar 100 from Kodak is not even close to the original.

There were (now discontinued but can be bulk ordered until few years ago from Ilford) microfilms (slide) at a whopping 0.6ASA speed that would out resolve even Techpan.

None of these films could be rated at even 100ASA and would produce results close to the A900's sensor at ISO100. Grain would kill all the resolution.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
From what I've heard, one of the films with the highest resolution nowadays is the Adox CMS 20. Black & white obviously, and to obtain ISO 20, it needs to be developed in a special developer (Adotech CMS). With standard developers (like HC 110) it's only 6 ASA.

Anyway, Fotoimpex in Berlin claims 800 L/mm with high contrast (I never remember if these numbers are good or bad, but I think 800 is supposed to be good :) ). I've been meaning to try it for some time, but ordering from Germany is such a hassle, and customs in this country is famous for their way of making things expensive when they arrive across the border.

I've seen some samples, and they look good. Only available in 35mm though, at least the last time I checked.

Now Jono, can your Walkman shoot at ISO 20? (Reminds me of the athlete who was asked: "How wide can you jump?". He was Swedish of course :D Any Swedes here?).

Found a sample:

Crop:

They claim the image it's a bit blurry because it was taken handheld and because the film outresolves the LEICA ASPH 1,4/50mm that was used.

Correction: CMS 20 is now also available as 4x5. Now, that sounds like a lot of megapixels :)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Blah Blah, film blah blah
Sad bastards the lot of you . . . and YES I do mean you too Quentin :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Now Jono, can your Walkman shoot at ISO 20? (Reminds me of the athlete who was asked: "How wide can you jump?". He was Swedish of course :D Any Swedes here?)
What's ISO? my A900 walkman just takes pictures - I point and kerzang it's there.

Some of my best friends are Finns (they don't talk a lot but boy can they do the dry humour)
Swedes? Is Arne a Swede, or is he a Norwe?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Some of my best friends are Finns (they don't talk a lot but boy can they do the dry humour)

Swedes? Is Arne a Swede, or is he a Norwe?
He's a Norwegian of course. Just look at the quality of his photos :D

Finns are great, and among some of my best friends here too, like my female, Finnish lunch friend who don't believe inter-racial marriages can be successful. She knows what she's talking about, being married to a Dane :LOL:

PeterA

Just jokin you guys :) I developed this thing for very large prints so I had to go MF. But the best thing in hand is still my Leica Ms. I wish I had the time to soup up my own B&W liek I used to- that was the most fun.