The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - favorite configurations

Godfrey

Thought other GXR users might enjoy a thread like this. The GXR is such a configurable camera, on so many different fronts, that a notion of what works for you might be useful and instructive for others.

A recent favorite setup for me: GXR body, A12 Camera Mount, Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 and Voigtländer 35mm optical viewfinder. The 35mm OVF presents just about exactly the actual field of view (not calculated, tested) of this lens on the GXR-M sensor and this focal length has enough DoF at f/5.6 to work beautifully using zone focus—set f/5.6 and the focus zone runs just shy of infinity down to about 5.5 feet. I set the "Zoom Display Release" to OFF and turn off the LCD, that way when I need to check critical focus, the display is normally already set to zoom mode by pressing the EVF/LCD button to turn it back on.

Works a treat, and the tiny Skopar 28mm is a very nice performer too!

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Godfrey, you inspired me!

This is the GXR with my Perar 28mm and my Pentax Q 47mm viewfinder. Wonderful combination (isn't this the kind of camera set up that you were looking for when I first suggested you try the GXR :D)

I never cease to be amazed at the multiple personalities this camera can take on. To create this persona I switched from the Ricoh A16 zoom - like chalk and cheese!

Love your book BTW

Keith

bcf

Thanks Godfrey, this is interesting.

However I must admit I cannot fathom what "Zoom Display Release" (and also "Target Zoom Play") does.

Is this only useful when using an OVF? So fat I have only been using the EVF.

Godfrey

Thanks Godfrey, this is interesting.

However I must admit I cannot fathom what "Zoom Display Release" (and also "Target Zoom Play") does.

Is this only useful when using an OVF? So fat I have only been using the EVF.
The "Zoom Display Release" function was added with firmware 1.40 for the A12 Camera Mount. What it does is enable you to choose whether you want the focus magnification function to reset to normal viewing after you make an exposure.

The GXR with A12 Camera Mount always go to normal magnification on the half press, so if you're in a situation where you are using the EVF/LCD and need to be re-focusing quickly and often, it's handy to have the magnification stick. Then shooting becomes more fluid ... you find your point of interest, focus, half press to lock the exposure and frame, release shutter. It works well with an optical viewfinder and occasional re-focusing too, as after the first press to set magnification on, you can quickly check that your focus zone is on the money.

But of course, if you don't feel it's of much value, just leave the setting to ON and the camera will return to normal magnification after every shot. An incredibly flexible camera the GXR is, eh?

Godfrey

Godfrey, you inspired me!

This is the GXR with my Perar 28mm and my Pentax Q 47mm viewfinder. Wonderful combination (isn't this the kind of camera set up that you were looking for when I first suggested you try the GXR :D)

I never cease to be amazed at the multiple personalities this camera can take on. To create this persona I switched from the Ricoh A16 zoom - like chalk and cheese!

Love your book BTW...
Thanks for the compliment!

Looks very neat. I've got to photograph the GXR with Skopar 28. Damn thing just looks "right". And yes, this was just about exactly what I was looking for when I got interested in the X1 and X100 ... only better!

Of course, I think I have to have an X2 now as well. I like the X1/X2 design more every time I handle one. And with the retractible lens, it becomes even more compact to have with me all the time.

My camera kit is becoming smaller and tighter all the time. Why is there more equipment in the closet than ever before? ... ???

bcf

The GXR with A12 Camera Mount always go to normal magnification on the half press, so if you're in a situation where you are using the EVF/LCD and need to be re-focusing quickly and often, it's handy to have the magnification stick. Then shooting becomes more fluid ... you find your point of interest, focus, half press to lock the exposure and frame, release shutter.
OK, I get it now. Thanks for the clear explanation!

An incredibly flexible camera the GXR is, eh?
Yes! I felt very quickly comfortable with it. Whereas, with the E-P3 I had before (which is now sold), I could never set up the right combination of settings to work fluidly, particularly with the magnification feature.

I have the Skopar 21/4, which looks very neat on the camera as well. I have not found a 25/4 so far (and the funds are a little depleted for the moment).

bcf

Currently I tend to assign "Enlarge all" to the Fn1 button, and "Focus assist" to Fn2.

And I use Mode 2, which I find incredibly useful - and more efficient to assess sharpness when using a wide angle. A little disconcerting to suddenly view the scene as through a PS high pass filter - but since a half press on the shutter release reverts the view to normal, it's very convenient.

It would be nice though to have a way of switching quickly between modes 1 and 2, but I could not find one.

Godfrey

That pretty much how I have mine set up too. There's no quick switch between FA modes ... Quickest is to set the menu selection to be sticky so that a press of the menu button gets you back to the last command.

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... 2 days late and a doLLar short... My favorite all purpose ... GXR, M-mount, with a COOKE SPEED PANCHRO SER III 25mm f/2, Hawk Factory Arri/M adaptor. Focus assist #2, the lens will focus 2cm to infinity, Lens is sharp enough for the 12m to scratch your eyes out, and the bokeh Cookes :)

taken with GH2, Kern Switar Macro 26mm f/1.1

Godfrey

Looks like a very cool setup. I took a quick gander at prices on those Cooke lenses ... not cheap. would be nice to have f/2, though. I'll have to live with the Ultron and Color Skopar.

Godfrey

I went for a photo walk yesterday with the GXR-M + Skopar 28 setup. A big "like" .. here's a pic:

bcf

Just lovely. I will look for one as soon as the funds are restored ;-)

40mm is my most used focal length on the D700, so 28mm on APS-C is just right.

How would the Voigtlander 28mm f/2 look? Any picture?

Godfrey

Just lovely. I will look for one as soon as the funds are restored ;-)

40mm is my most used focal length on the D700, so 28mm on APS-C is just right.

How would the Voigtlander 28mm f/2 look? Any picture?
I'll have to snap a photo of the Ultron 28/2 on the GXR this evening. It's a larger and heavier lens than the Skopar 28, but it's not out of place.

Godfrey

Oh yes: I was playing with my optical viewfinder collection and have discovered that the Leitz 5.0cm Brightline finder presents just about exactly the field of view on the GXR-M that my 40mm lenses (M-Rokkor 40/2 or Nokton 40/1.4) produce with the sensor. The framing is a lot more accurate than with the GXR's A12 50mm Macro.

I think this is because of my glasses. My eye point with these finders is somewhat further away than their framing lines was designed to accommodate, so the FoV is somewhat tighter than the markings.

bcf

With these finders, I suppose you work exclusively by zone focus? Or how do you focus?

I have never so far worked with such an optical finder - I have always been an SLR guy. I will try this soon. This must bring a great freedom and swiftness, and a great clarity in one's view of the scene, provided the distance is estimated correctly.

How about the other eye (the one not using the finder): can it be kept open?

Pardon the naiveté of these questions - I have never worked like this...

Godfrey

With these finders, I suppose you work exclusively by zone focus? Or how do you focus?

I have never so far worked with such an optical finder - I have always been an SLR guy. I will try this soon. This must bring a great freedom and swiftness, and a great clarity in one's view of the scene, provided the distance is estimated correctly.

How about the other eye (the one not using the finder): can it be kept open?

Pardon the naiveté of these questions - I have never worked like this...
- Used with the A12 28mm or 50mm Macro (AF supported), I can either set up Zone focus in Manual Focus mode or set the AF to SpotAF with a zone focus override (Full-press Snap option).

- Used with the A12 Camera Mount, 40mm is about the upper limit of what's reasonably practical to use for Zone focus exclusively (for me anyway). With 28mm lenses (and shorter), it's easy to use*an OVF with zone focus. For instance, with the 28, set the aperture to f/5.6 and the distance scale to 10'. Given the DoF gain with APS-C, you can see on the DoF scale that this nets a focus zone from about 5.5' to very close to infinity.

- With a 40mm lens, I leave the LCD on and Focus Assist mode 2 active. I can swiftly glance at the screen and see whether my focus zone is about right, then frame and make the exposure with the OVF.

I've worked with zone focus cameras for many many years. Over time, you become proficient at estimating distances based upon zone focus. It's not needed to be terribly precise with wide-normal lenses as long as you're not working in the near field. Once you get to a normal lens or longer, focus becomes much more critical.

And remember that for a lot of subject matter, particularly people who are in motion, critical focus is a secondary consideration to expression. :)

Oh yes: I usually keep both eyes open. It doesn't matter much, whatever suits you best.