The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

Thank you Lee and Quentin.
Michiel, looking forward to seeing some DP1M shots for your facades series.

scho

I received my Sigma DP1M this AM and took it out with the DP2M for a few comparison shots at the farmers market. Here are 3 scenes each shot on the same tripod with each camera and same exposure settings.

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

A last "smiley face" from the DP1M only.

FULL SIZE

So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M. There is more CA and fringing evident in some DP1M images (although easily corrected) and the DP1M really needs to be shipped with the lens hood. It is very sensitive to backlit lens flare (see pond image), but to be fair I had a hood on for the DP2M and not the DP1M (none available yet). Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M. These are only first impressions under rather poor lighting conditions and with limited subject matter. I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Carl! Am I going to regret my swap? I do like the Sigma 19 on the NEX quiet a lot.
Did you have to correct distortion? I do shoot a lot of brick wals for fun, you know :ROTFL:

There is a lot more sharp DOF in the DP1, if you look at the floors. These are nice samples. Don't know about fine detail.

Michiel

scho

Thanks Carl! Am I going to regret my swap? I do like the Sigma 19 on the NEX quiet a lot.
Did you have to correct distortion? I do shoot a lot of brick wals for fun, you know :ROTFL:

There is a lot more sharp DOF in the DP1, if you look at the floors. These are nice samples. Don't know about fine detail.

Michiel
Michiel,

No, I don't think so. I think that for architectural work the DP1M will do well. I made no corrections for distortion and there isn't much to correct. You do need to watch for lens flare with the DP1M, but no more than you would with any WA shooting into the sun. I can't understand why Sigma was not ready to ship a simple lens hood for this camera, which needs it more than the DP2M that has a lens hood available. There is some lateral CA that needs correcting, but nothing major that can't be fixed in post. I'm going down to Washington DC in a couple of weeks so I'll have a chance to try some architectural and street shooting with the DP1M then. Looking forward to your shots and impressions of the DP1M.

Quentin_Bargate

Looks like the DP1M may not be such an obvious choice as the DP2M

Following shot taken this evening in Monaco with the DP2M. 2.5 secs, 100 ISO, F.5.6. Immense detail in the original.

Monaco 2012

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M....I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.
Carl,

Send it back...buy the best sneakers you can find and take a couple of steps back...voila...DP2M becomes DP1M! Without CA! And the shoes will outlast the camera upgrades...:ROTFL:

Loving my two DP2Ms ... am pleased that I do not need the DP1M.

Bob

Quentin_Bargate

Carl,

Send it back...buy the best sneakers you can find and take a couple of steps back...voila...DP2M becomes DP1M! Without CA! And the shoes will outlast the camera upgrades...:ROTFL:

Loving my two DP2Ms ... am pleased that I do not need the DP1M.

Bob
You've got TWO DP2M's ?!?! :shocked:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Quentin,

After our first interchange...and spending a number of days with the stunning DP2M I realized that another body was needed. Should the first die or malfunction...no way I am willing to await the next big thing...this is to me as close as it gets....

My Leica S2-P, Canon 1DX, and Oly OM-D will still be there but the DP2M is stunning...so good so organic without a doubt one of my favorite cameras ...
EVER.

First time I have purchased two cameras alike...I just do not think this will be surpassed anytime soon.

And I was not going to divulge this...oh well......:ROTFL:

Bob

Thorkil

I received my Sigma DP1M this AM and took it out with the DP2M for a few comparison shots at the farmers market. Here are 3 scenes each shot on the same tripod with each camera and same exposure settings.
So far I'm feeling better with the DP2M. There is more CA and fringing evident in some DP1M images (although easily corrected) and the DP1M really needs to be shipped with the lens hood. It is very sensitive to backlit lens flare (see pond image), but to be fair I had a hood on for the DP2M and not the DP1M (none available yet). Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M. These are only first impressions under rather poor lighting conditions and with limited subject matter. I'll work some more with both camera and report back and I hope to hear more from others who have these cameras.
Hi Carl
All I can say is just UPS, while that suddenly changed my life, from simplicity to complexity. Its very hard to compare those from the barn(perhaps the dp2 should have been moved backwards?), but, with some resistance (while I was aiming for the 28mm wide, I have to have a wide…), I have to admit the DP2 just looks more clear, more refined, and colours more spot on, more lively, warm & tender.
And the outdoor pictures, here is everything going wrong for the DP1 it seems, it looks like a pale and exhausted winter-picture compared to the DP2-one, the tree look like its just about loosing its leaves(!) where they at the DP2 are green and optimistic healthy. Perhaps the side-light is tricking the white balance without that hood, it just look like a disaster colour wise! And I don’t want to use a lot of time in pp.
Hhhmmm…and here I imagined that life could be easy….
But thanks a lot, Carl, anyway(!!)..
Thorkil
PS. f.8? Iso? in the barn (splendid pictures I forgot to tell)
But perhaps the DP1-colours are more realistic/objective? and the DP2 just have a more warm and saturized glow that are giving the real world a more optimistic view? or?

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin,

After our first interchange...and spending a number of days with the stunning DP2M I realized that another body was needed. Should the first die or malfunction...no way I am willing to await the next big thing...this is to me as close as it gets....

My Leica S2-P, Canon 1DX, and Oly OM-D will still be there but the DP2M is stunning...so good so organic without a doubt one of my favorite cameras ...
EVER.

First time I have purchased two cameras alike...I just do not think this will be surpassed anytime soon.

And I was not going to divulge this...oh well......:ROTFL:

Bob
Actually makes a lot of sense. Two DP2M's cost less than one Sony RX1 and a lot less than a Leica "M" - even less than the Leica M-E just announced.

And some ill-informed reviewers thought that the Sigma DP2M was overpriced, just because it says "Sigma" on the front... :confused:

pophoto

Quick questions guys, can the DP2M raw files be opened and processed in LR or C1?

Next question, how long are the write times to your memory card?

Thanks,
Po

24mm

Sharpness is surprisingly good across the frame for the DP1M, but probably not on the same level as the DP2M.
Perhaps a few steps forward with the DP1M to have the same coverage as that of the DP2M might change the perspectives of things, or a few steps back with the DP2M to spread the pixels a bit thinner ....

Frank

scho

Perhaps a few steps forward with the DP1M to have the same coverage as that of the DP2M might change the perspectives of things, or a few steps back with the DP2M to spread the pixels a bit thinner ....

Frank
I think you are right Frank. The DP1M looks better when this type comparison is made. I couldn't get outside today (pouring rain) to re-shoot, but here is a simple bookshelf comparison where the distance of the DP2M was adjusted to try and match the size of the DP1M image.

DP1M

FULL SIZE

DP2M

FULL SIZE

scho

Quick questions guys, can the DP2M raw files be opened and processed in LR or C1?

Next question, how long are the write times to your memory card?

Thanks,
Po
Unfortunately there is no support from either Adobe or Phase for Sigma raw. If you are on a Mac then Raw Developer will have support in the next revision.
Write times are very, very looong.

scho

Mine will be returned unopened. I will wait and have patience. One is enough, it might well be the best one.

Michiel
Sorry to discourage you with the comparisons, see my latest comparison below though before you throw in the towel on the DP1M. DP2M is still a better option if you will have only one camera.