The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Hi Uwe

you made the same shots also with the Fuji X-pro1 in the other thread.

How would you compare the Fuji X-pro1 results with the DP2M results?

Which do you like better, which are more "real", more 3-dimensional better IQ etc.?

Would you rather invest in i.e a Sigma SD1 DSLR, which has the same sensor as the DP2M, or is the IQ difference not that big and the Fuji x-Pro1 can easily compete?

ustein

Contributing Editor
I own the X-Pro1. Is a nice camera but AF is very slow. The DP2M has more detail for sure. But the X-Pro1 allows higher ISO. Right now I am not sure I should have gotten the X-Pro1 and not the E-M5 instead. With the DP2M it is often hit and miss especially in the shade. The E-M5 would give me some IS.

Overall still struggling whether I want to get the DP2M.

pophoto

I own the X-Pro1. Is a nice camera but AF is very slow. The DP2M has more detail for sure. But the X-Pro1 allows higher ISO. Right now I am not sure I should have gotten the X-Pro1 and not the E-M5 instead. With the DP2M it is often hit and miss especially in the shade. The E-M5 would give me some IS.

Hey Uwe, as you probably know the X Pro1 just released their firmware upgrade which make the AF much quicker, almost as quick as the EM5!

Fuji X-pro1 firmware 2.0 vs. EM-5 Focus speed compare - YouTube

ustein

Contributing Editor
I have upgraded my X-Pro1. It needs very good edges for locking on.

THere is of course also the raw workflow issue. Don't think there is a good raw converter yet (I use Fuji Raw Converter + Lightroom).

pophoto

Thanks Uwe, that's good to know! I've read about the raw conversion artifacts described online! I was considering X-E1 but I think I will pass a lot of this year's cameras and this generation of Fujis since gen 1 for them. I hope the next Merrill cameras for my sake can have even faster processors inside, but so far enjoying this thread very much.

What I do not like with all Olympus cameras, is the sensor size because of DOF. Very difficult to get the background substantially out of the way for portaits with i.e. short tele of 85mm.... (in 35mm terms)

The SD1/DP2M and all Fuji have at least crop factor of 1.5. And Sigma has this clarity I do not see somewhere else....

I am currently thinking of getting out of my Sony A900 system and switch the brand....

24mm

the 3D effect on this one is natural, especially the twig on the wooden frame at the top .... :)

by the way, does anyone know how a medium or low raw size is captured by the sensor, like if the lens elements are physically move for so that the light falls onto a cropped sensor .... any guess would be most welcome, TIA .... :)

Thorkil

Carl, thanks for pictures. It seems that the DP2M still has a little edge towards the DP1M, right?
Thorkil

Sapphie

You are welcome Lee. Hope to see some of your landscapes here soon. :D
Naughty Carl ... I am part way there having sold a m4/3 lens I hardly use which gives me 30% of the cost! If I can sell my Pentax 43mm ltd I may well join you but am still trying to resist and don't want to be unfaithful to my X-Pro 1.

Lee