The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

Some shots today with the DP1M walking around Yale.....learning curve stuff. Overcast (hey, I'm in New England).....but kinda awesome because there are no deep shadows. Handheld, the DP1M allows for a slightly lower shutter speed, 100ISO, +0.7 EC.

It's really hard to truly appreciate these cameras viewing these web images. I am still counting bricks too ;)

R
Almost like having a view camera in your pocket :).

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Thorkil

just got a new iPad so excuse typos :D

The reason I won't be getting a new DP1m is because I will use the outstanding quality of the DP2m to stitch where a wide view is needed. for me the DP2m is a perfect tool. I am a perfectionist. After the DP2m all else is bullsh*t.

Quentin

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil

just got a new iPad so excuse typos :D.

The reason I won't be getting a new DP1m is because I will use the outstanding quality of the DP2m to stitch where a wide view is needed. for me the DP2m is a perfect tool. I am a perfectionist. After the DP2m all else is bullsh*t.

Quentin
Hi Quentin, that I know (perfectionist and so...). I have to have a more realistic and therefore humble approach to my own skill (and my lack of patience too, I guess). When I succeed in getting rid of my D800E, I'm confused about a 1 or a 2. I know the 2' is the perfectionist tool, but on the other hand I need a 28mm (houses, buildings, interiors and so), but on the other hand I could leave that part to my GXR (and using 3200 iso too). And stitching for my part, I guess, that’s an unrealistic dream. On the other hand I do have that feeling that one ought to live with just ONE camera, and just getting the best out of THAT, and that might be a DP2M(I'm a believer too, don't think anything else really does exist anymore). Do you think it will last until we will end glanzing at the innerside of the lid, hopefully it will :eek:
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Went out today to get some of those marvelous pixels. Put the camera on shut off after 10 seconds or so and armed with two fully loaded batterys and to my surprise I made 55 shots and the battery was still not empty.

Sjjjee, it is just great fun to see those sharp images at 100% in SP.
Now I have to learn to use some higher shutterspeeds to get some non blurred moving people on my screen.

But it's true it is the perfect camera for me :D

BTW Just bought myself this panohead on ebay.

Michiel

pophoto

Michiel, great shots, the last one had me puzzled in an Esher kind of way, hard to explain since I maybe the only one seeing something! :) I love it though!

Also that's one hard core pano head, I'm looking forward to the pano shots you take with the combination. You're on fire right now! Keep them coming!

Michiel Schierbeek

As long as I am not in the line of fire I feel good about it. :ROTFL:
Some more from today.

Michiel

This is Amsterdam School Architecture.

W.Utsch

Hello to everybody!
This is a fantastic thread in a fantastic forum!
Really great pics. Since the first DP's came out i had an eye on these. When M. Reichmann's test on LL came out, i could not resist any longer an bought the DP2M. Took it out for a first test and "abused" it as a PS: With OVF in P Or A mode, handheld, ISO 100 (Shopping bag in the other).
Workflow: Only RAW's saved to disk, SPP with basic adjustments, auto import to LR 4.1.
The first pics on screen of my iMac 27, unbelievable, the best files i had ever in my machine. Adrenalin! Better then 5DMKII, Sony NEX7 and my beloved Leica M8 (magical files as well).
Some rare times there is a little banding (if you decrease NR in SPP to 0) or color blotches (magenta,cyan) in mid-tone grey areas, but nothing i cant handle with. NIK Define for debanding (works great) or color adjustments in LR.
For Landscape and architecture there is right now nothing to compare.
Pic's from Heidelberg, Germany incl.100% crop's- the last 2 are from NEX 7 w. SEL 50F18 OSS

Werner

PS:mad:Uwe: Grüße aus Heidelberg nach CA! Bewundere eure Fotos und Website!

W.Utsch

No, from the Castle above the Old-town of Heidelberg (Nr 6 is ,by the way, Mannheim).
The second one is a 100 crop of the first, as is No 4 from 3 and for comparison the last one 100% of No7, NEX7.
Nice colors and relatively good weather!
Werner

W.Utsch

Thanks, Michiel!
Will try that next time.
Great pics from a great city - Amsterdam! I love it in winter, as the NL beaches!
Werner

Quentin_Bargate

Hi there Werner

Welcome to the world of the converts!

I can hardly keep up with the great work being posted here. Looks even better on my new iPad :thumbup:

Quentin

Sapphie

I so wanted to take some shots this lunch time but the great English Summer monsoon is now the great English Autumn monsoon and I didn't want to risk my precious Merrill in the rain. Except I had to take one, very quickly. It was dark. ISO 800, f2.8, 1/80th sec, Vivid mode in SPP. Shadows brought up a little, saved as JPEG then some cropping in LR. Ok, it's not up to the standard possible but I thought anything over ISO 100 was supposed to be bad?

Lee

scho

I so wanted to take some shots this lunch time but the great English Summer monsoon is now the great English Autumn monsoon and I didn't want to risk my precious Merrill in the rain. Except I had to take one, very quickly. It was dark. ISO 800, f2.8, 1/80th sec, Vivid mode in SPP. Shadows brought up a little, saved as JPEG then some cropping in LR. Ok, it's not up to the standard possible but I thought anything over ISO 100 was supposed to be bad?
Lee
Only when you pixel peep.:) If it is dark and raining take along a tripod and umbrella. This camera will produce great images in low light w/o resorting to ISO boosting. That is still a very nice image, despite using ISO 800.

Sapphie

Hi Carl

You are right of course - the same shot would have looked much better, no doubt. I am looking forward to trying some slow shutter speed tripod-bound shots.

What I am having some problem getting my head round is why SPP can reveal so much latitude in the files. This one from Saturday looks OK with default settings as shot. The camera metering did what I expected and rendered most of the scene with a sensible exposure but the sky was washed out. The tip from Louis to reduce exposure and increase fill light seemed non-intuitive to me - well at least the fact that I can reduce it so much. The X3 fill light is not the same as the LR fill light. For example here exposure was -1.6, X3 fill light +0.7:

Lee

antara

kuau

Workshop Member
Well I decided before I pull the trigger on a DP1m or DPM2,
I rented both from lensrentals.com for this weekend.

So to make sure I get the most out of my "evaluation"
As of today, how should I setup the cameras?
ISO 100, or 200?
Sharpening setting in camera
Noise setting
Picture style

Thanks

Steven