The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

JMaher

Lee,

Keep submitting the photos:).

I am following this thread with interest. Not sure this is the camera for me as I am not confident it suits my shooting style. However it is very interesting.

Jim

Michiel Schierbeek

I just received my DP2M and can't wait to take it out for a spin. Unfortunately work seems to get in the way of having fun. I suspect it will be at the end of the month for my holiday to Cambodia and Thailand. I am going to try and sneak a few hours this weekend in Napa.

I had a non-DP2M question for Quentin, Steven or Michiel - love the borders you all are using - seem like the photo is floating on a canvas. Is this borders software or PS?

Hope to upload some pictures in the near future -
An action in PS, as Quentin, Make the size you want 72dpi, make a boarder with canvas size, duplicate layer, go to first layer, make layer style (shadow etc.)

This is out of my head, but it is about it. When you know what you want, you can record your actions and after that it is a one click affair.

BTW You can find better instructions for it on the net.

Michiel

scho

A certain reluctance to continue submitting shots here, simple because web-sized cannot do the Merrill justice but here's one more ...
Lee
Please continue submitting. Try 1200 pixel images for posting here with a link to a full size image (or crop) for those who wish to revel in the gorgeous detail this camera can produce.

L

leonardosfo

An action in PS, as Quentin, Make the size you want 72dpi, make a boarder with canvas size, duplicate layer, go to first layer, make layer style (shadow etc.)

This is out of my head, but it is about it. When you know what you want, you can record your actions and after that it is a one click affair.

BTW You can find better instructions for it on the net.

Michiel
Thank you Michiel - I will give that a try in PS -

Leonard

Quentin_Bargate

While this relates to my new DP1M, I though this brief test would be of interest to DP2M users

The shot below was intended to test sharpness, CA, fall-off etc. Generally the image quality is close to the DP2M, but there is more CA apparent.

The two inserts are from the edge of the frame. One shows CA which has no correction applied to it, and the other is identical except I ticked "Chromatic Aberration, Lens Profile" in Sigma Photo Pro, which has almost completely eliminated it. In fact a touch more correction may be needed completely to eliminate all signs of fringing but the "off the shelf" result using standard Lens Profile is pretty good.

scho

While this relates to my new DP1M, I though this brief test would be of interest to DP2M users

The shot below was intended to test sharpness, CA, fall-off etc. Generally the image quality is close to the DP2M, but there is more CA apparent.

The two inserts are from the edge of the frame. One shows CA which has no correction applied to it, and the other is identical except I ticked "Chromatic Aberration, Lens Profile" in Sigma Photo Pro, which has almost completely eliminated it. In fact a touch more correction may be needed completely to eliminate all signs of fringing but the "off the shelf" result using standard Lens Profile is pretty good.
Yes, I do the same with my DP1M images. Occasionally an image will also have to be processed with the LR de-fringe dropper to get rid of purple fringing.

Millsart

Good to know that SPP can at least deal with the CA on the DP1M Quentin. Appreciate your taking the time to conduct the test.

As much as I like my DP2M, there are times where I think the 1 would make more sense (no, sadly can't really justify them both)

With the 45mm equiv on the 2, I find I need to stitch a bit for the way I "see" a scene, and really, if I'm taking the trouble to stitch, I can do the same with another CSC and still get a very high resolution image (with easier workflow to boot). Really the reason for stitching is simply to get a wider FoV, I don't need a 40+mp image as I'm just not going to print that large. DP2M in a single frame delivers all the resolution I need/want for 99% of shots.

As such, the DP1m could make more sense as I could have more single frame captures with its wider FoV, which would be great.

Only concerns are the 30mm lens seems so good and I do rather enjoy that stunning edge to edge sharpness and ability, when paired with the X3 sensor, to resolve such fine detail.

It seems its the combo that delivers the "magic". The SD1m images I've seen, just don't seem to have it, because while the same sensor, the Sigma glass seems to be the weak points.

I just don't want to bother with the drawbacks of the DP's such as battery life etc, and then only get a file that has soft corners, CA etc, basically none of the "wow" factor that makes it all seem worth the hassle when you view a DP2m resulting file

Cheers

Quentin_Bargate

Hi there

My feeling is that if we had never seen the DP2M images, we would all have been wowed by the DP1M. It's not that it's lens is a weak link - actually it is pretty much as good as the DP2M for most of the frame - it's just the DP2M's 30mm lens is so exceptional.

I think the 1 +2 combo makes sense for me.

Good to know that SPP can at least deal with the CA on the DP1M Quentin. Appreciate your taking the time to conduct the test.

It seems its the combo that delivers the "magic". The SD1m images I've seen, just don't seem to have it, because while the same sensor, the Sigma glass seems to be the weak points.

Cheers

Michiel Schierbeek

I am not going to buy the DP1 as well, the DP2 has just the right focal lenghts for me. If not, I will stich. I have the whole set up for panorama's now but i am waiting for the right opportunity time/weather wise. Stay tuned. :)

Another (painted) window. Always those bloody bikes in Amsterdam :deadhorse:

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Michiel

The DP2M is the perfect camera for stitching. I take delivery tomorrow of a 100 x 24 inch C-type panorama, sealed under perspex, which was taken with the DP2M.

I justified the DP1M to myself on the basis of an upcoming trip where I will be moving around in confined alleys and spaces. Otherwise I am completely with you, use the DP2M to stitch with great results.