The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

Nice shot Carl......the tripod really seems to make a difference. This is becoming a commonplace comment, but the detail in the full size image is astounding. I found myself wishing you could crop out the blue barrels...but when you look at the thumbnail, you barely see blue barrels.

I guess the "superstorm" hype is worth it if it saves lives. We had our tsunami warning sirens go off last night and all the inundation zones were safely evacuated in the few hours we had before the arrival of the first wave.

The wave was barely discernible......but, better safe than sorry.

Stay dry......R
Thanks Rich. Yes, I can really see the difference in landscape shots with lots of high frequency detail, with and w/o a tripod. That was just a full frame shot, with no cropping. A longer focal length would have been nice. Glad you didn't have a significant tsunami to deal with. Sandy is due in at the NJ shore tomorrow and then we may have to be alert if it turns NW.:shocked: I had two more robo calls from NYSEG today warning that they still are expecting widespread power outages in our area.

Speaking of compact tripods, I think the Velbon Ultra Voxi can't be beat. . . . , but what really sets the Velbon apart is that it can go to around 60" tall without having to raise the center column
Millsart,
On B&H I see the maximum height of the Velbon listed as 5.05', so could the 60 inches be the maximum height? 60 inches without raising the center column would be very nice.
"Maximum Height 5.05' (1.54 m)"

Thorkil

Anyone else cut down their DP2M usage ? I find that when I'm leaving the house these days I'm back to grabbing my little Sony RX100 more again.

I still think the DP2m is a fantastic camera, but its one that I'm really only seeing myself grabbing for specific photo outings where I know it will excel.

Again, its fantastic IQ, and with a good subject, composition, lighting etc, will produce some stunning images, but not everything the camera see's turns to gold.

Still impressive, but after several hundred images ran through SPP, just isn't that exciting or novel.

Anyone else finding their Merrill is now more of simply a high quality and very specific tool, rather than a new toy ??
shortened
The DP2 M I bought just last month was the first new camera I've had in years. The previous camera (and one I still use on rare occasion now) is Panasonic's G1 which was the first new camera I had since Leica's Digilux 2 (which was the first camera that I personally felt proved that a digital camera could produce images good enough to equal and possibly surpass film).

Yes the new FF darlings, Nikon's D600 and the yet to be seen 6D from Canon are other tantalizing prospects that can deliver the goods I seek (and they are much less bulky). And while I've considered them like every other camera I've considered as a second fiddle to the DP2M I keep asking myself the same two questions, "With the way I shoot and the subjects I typically shoot under what different circumstances would you use it? And would the DP2 M still be a viable choice?"

And I keep coming up with the same answers. "Quite a few." And "Yes."

So call me among the hopelessly hooked by this intoxicating little camera.
Shortened
Actually it’s very interesting to hear people’s every-day experience with the Merrill’s, and which camera they grab instead or still do grab ... in everyday or special circumstances...after things have settled down. And for those with both the 1 & 2M’s, the choice between these is very interesting.
Please more of that!
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Oké Thorkil,

Zoom and Teleshots I grab the Sony NEX-7 (People from a distance, harbours, ships etc) Less so for the Facade and Windowdressing series.
It is also a nice travel camera.

For streetshots and portraits I grab the Ricoh GXR and with the Zeiss Biogon as well for my Facade and Windowdressing series.
The quality of the results of this camera are always surprising me.
There is no AA filter, so the pure RAW files are very sharp.
With the NEX you can dial up sharpness to 90 while the Ricoh needs only 50 in ACR. And we all know that you even have to dial down the Sigma files !
The metering of the Ricoh is great too. Although the Ricoh has the nicest body of them all, design, feel etc, it could use an upgrade as well as the M mount Module.
If the body would be upgraded, buffer, build in and better viewfinder, possibly an articulated screen, and the M mount module would be upgraded to FF 24mp,
I would not need anything else!

At this point only Leica hits a home run. But it is big money and I don't need/want the rangefinder experience anymore.

The Sigma DP2 is great for architecture, landscapes and all the other cases you need pure sharpness.
It is not an easy snap away camera, although it looks like it.
You need to be carefull and take your time, otherwise you come home with a lot of out of focus and not very well composed shots.
Also due, in my case anyway, to looking at a screen outside in daylight. it feels like gambling somehow.
So take your time before you throw another 50MP on your card and computer.

So my ideal would be an upgraded Ricoh and it is no hassle at all to have the Sigma aside for it's plain sharpness.:)

Michiel

From yesterday at Vlissingen.

Thorkil

Hi Michael
Thank you for a well-explained and illustrating answer!
Yes, the GXR I have with me all the time, it makes rich and well-done pictures!
And it makes one feel friendly and easy connected, sort of close to my old M6-feeling. If it wasn't so bulky I would be tempted by Keith's pictures to buy an additional zoom just to have the AF for silly and thrusting shoots (+ the 16Mp), wonderful sharpness, or just Keith's ability's(?).
Yes I would guess so, about the Merrill's, exquisite picture, like with the SWC, and take your time, no hip-shots (my dream was hip-shooting with the SWC).
Earlier on I was impatience about cameras and bought before thinking twice. Now I'm in the opposite ditch.
And actually I’m tempted to buy a GRD for a period of silly shot and REAL pocket ability’s.
And then wait a bit for the hassy feeling in a Merrill-machine, perhaps.
(And yes a full-frame GXR M-module would be a nice thing, but perhaps 24Mp would be too heavy loaded with too slim pixels for the solid Ricoh-wise manner?).
It's perhaps all about how much or how less chaotic/disciplined/impatience one are arranged with between the ears, which camera you would like to grab most of the time :rolleyes:
Thorkil

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Actually it’s very interesting to hear people’s every-day experience with the Merrill’s, and which camera they grab instead or still do grab ... in everyday or special circumstances...after things have settled down. And for those with both the 1 & 2M’s, the choice between these is very interesting.
Please more of that!
Thorkil
I was going to push the PayPal button to buy a Merril when I managed to stop myself. I bought a Pentax K5lls instead - it arrives tomorrow. I have settled in on the Sony 16 Mp chip and have five cameras that use it (Ricoh GXR, Sony Nex 5N, Sony A37, Pentax K5 and Pentax K-01). I suspect the K5lls will have the same sensor as the Ricoh A16 Zoom (no AA and very sharp)
There is reason in my madness:
The A37 uses all my Sony A and Minolta legacy glass from my film camera collection
The Nex 5N lets me use any lens from my vintage lens collection, and Sony A lenses with my LA-EA2 adapter.
The Pentax K5 is my only waterproof camera - I have 2 WR lenses for it. It also is a fine example of a traditional DSLR - mirrors do have some advantages.
The K-01 is a really nice street camera that takes all my Pentax K and M42 lenses
Like Michiel - the Ricoh is my favorite of the lot. Best body, best interface, best all-round. I think I have every lensor made for it. The M-Mount can use my Minolta MD lenses.

The Merrill would be too limiting for me, although I guess one day, one will land up in my hands :D. I don't like using anything other than Lightroom for PS.

Keith

Michiel Schierbeek

The Merrill would be too limiting for me, although I guess one day, one will land up in my hands :D. I don't like using anything other than Lightroom for PS.

Keith
Some of your careful composed shots would really shine with the DP2, Keith! :deadhorse:

BTW The camera is also great for layered scenes. See my post.

Michiel

Quentin_Bargate

I have not completely vanished. Still admiring the work of many posted here.

From Hatfield forest today. I have also posted a monochrome shot taken with the DP1M in the DP1M thread.

I used a Lee Filters hard ND grad filter for this and a few other shots taken today. This is their 75 system designed for smaller cameras using their 49mm adapter ring - really nice set up.

Thorkil

nice to hear and see from you Quentin! Good shot!
Forgot to tell you that this #910 leaf-shot is just outstanding, by the way
Thorkil

biglouis

I used a Lee Filters hard ND grad filter for this and a few other shots taken today. This is their 75 system designed for smaller cameras using their 49mm adapter ring - really nice set up.
Quentin, this is the first digital camera I have owned where I am seriously thinking of investing in some filters - been checking out the 75 system at the Lee website.

Great capture!

LouisB

sagar

Could anyone please share shots taken with closeup attachment and your feedback. I am thinking of getting it for flower shots, would appreciate some shots and feedback :)

peterb

Hi Sagar,

I ordered the close-up attachment with the camera back in September and I have to say it's quite good. The lens glass is very hefty with a beefy collar. Focusing is tack sharp and reasonably quick (not PDAF quick but fine for macro work). Here are some shots I took at a weekly classic car show the second day using the camera. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Keith,

As Jono says, perfectly understandable. Irrational, but understandable ;)

And the question about the close up lens- pretty good, not true macro, but it does get you closer: see the following messages for examples I have posted: #238 and #254

kuau

Workshop Member
Louis,
I tried the Classic Blue setting on some of my DP2m images and yes indeed it made my sky's blue but turned my greens bright green, no good for me...

Steven
DP2M - using the new Foveon Classic Blue setting, btw.

corposant

I'm getting my DP2M today - I know there's been a lot of talk about how to best process the images, but I wanted to know if there was any consensus on specific settings for the camera itself. Basically do I have to do anything specific when I set the camera up, or do the files work as traditional RAW files where I can manipulate quite a bit of it in post.