The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Kirk Candlish

Keeping with the harbor them and just shooting hand held. It was cold and windy so I bumped ISO up to 200 for the higher shutter speed with all the masts moving.

ISO 200 1/500 F7.1 NO corrections. Auto focused on the bow of the Star Wonder.

100% Crops

Rich M

These two cameras travel everywhere with me. Neoprene pouches make it so I can throw them into my messenger bag and haul them out at appropriate times.

Here are some textures...

A couple at the arena...

R

Michiel Schierbeek

Completely forgot about the actual pictures these cameras can take because of the exitement in the comparison thread.

Thank you Shashin :)

Here in France the weather is miserable, no chance to use a camera.

Michiel

biglouis

Rich - amazing set of photographs - the last one (your son?) on the horse should be in the Sigma DP2M brochure!

Michiel - the twilight harbour shots are wonderful. Suprising as well, given that the sensor does not in my experience reproduce great colours in low light.

LouisB

Rich M

Thanks Louis.....

Here are two more.

The second picture cries out for fill flash.

I find that in harsh lighting conditions such as these, SPP offers some good highlight recovery and fill light options, but the DR here is hard to overcome.

R

ggibson

The second picture cries out for fill flash.

I find that in harsh lighting conditions such as these, SPP offers some good highlight recovery and fill light options, but the DR here is hard to overcome.

R
Nonetheless, great images. The colors of his shirt really pop. Love it.

Kirk Candlish

The colors of his shirt really pop. Love it.
Local contrast is one of the things the DPMs do best. Greater dynamic range can be found in other cameras.

If the shirt had been blue it would look pale and faded compared to the actual shirt. Color does have a unique look with these cameras, but accurate color is not their strength.

IMHO the short comings of these cameras are far outweighed by their strengths.

Rich M

Last two (I promise...) converted to B&W

I find, more and more, I am converting the DPM's to black and white. I am still searching for a large format B&W printing option.

Carl (scho) pointed me in the direction of an inkset converted Epson 1440, but I am looking for something larger to do these prints justice.

R

Rich M

Rich, the b&w conversion tones are wonderful. Crisp and compelling shots.

Louis
Thanks Louis.....back in the day, I would shoot Tri-X (pushed to 1000 and developed in Acufine) and print on a Kodak RC Polycontrast paper.

This is the look I always consciously (or subconsciously) strive for when I am converting vis software.

Again, thanks for your comments.

R

scho

Last two (I promise...) converted to B&W

I find, more and more, I am converting the DPM's to black and white. I am still searching for a large format B&W printing option.

Carl (scho) pointed me in the direction of an inkset converted Epson 1440, but I am looking for something larger to do these prints justice.

R
Very nice images Rich. I use a Canon iPF6100 for large prints and find that a good custom icc does very well for both color and neutral B&W. No need for special inks or software.

Norm N

A "Little Doggies" DP2m photo. Actually, the little dogs were in deep shadow, but the file proved to be malleable in LR4, lifting shadows without showing excessive noise.

Norm

busch63

I got my DP2m about 4 weeks ago and expired some great advantages to the DP2s. May you have a look on flickr on my last uploads in 100%:

[/url][/IMG]