The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

A few 2-3 shot stitched images from an afternoon gorge walk with the DP2M on a small tripod. It was very dark and a bit damp in the gorge, but still not much water flowing. The images were shot in raw, converted to tiffs in SPP, and stitched in CS6 using the automated Photomerge function.

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

Last edited:

Thorkil

Well, Dear all, its been fun, and thank you to everyone for all the contributions, amusing, serious and somewhere in between, so far made. I guess my testing phase is more or less at an end now, although with others getting their hands on the camera, new tests and reviews no doubt coming out, I suspect there will be a lot more debate about the Merrils (we await the DP1M of course).

Time to take some more photos...and maybe post a few more... in due course.

Quentin
Yes,....and we wouldn't let you off the hook, so soon, anyhow.....:)
Thorkil

octagone

Carl thank you for the pictures.
I am always impressed by the rendering of details, especially the last photo.

As I wrote on Dpreview in a topic DP2m vs Nex 7, look at a picture taken with a Bayer sensor camera like the Nex 7, the impression of seeing a good digital picture.

In looking at a picture taken with the DP2m gives the feeling of having to be the real subject.
One ressant well textures, granulosité of rocks, for example.

scho

..and splendid, Carl!
Thorkil
Thank you Thorkil.
Carl thank you for the pictures.
I am always impressed by the rendering of details, especially the last photo.

As I wrote on Dpreview in a topic DP2m vs Nex 7, look at a picture taken with a Bayer sensor camera like the Nex 7, the impression of seeing a good digital picture.

In looking at a picture taken with the DP2m gives the feeling of having to be the real subject.
One ressant well textures, granulosité of rocks, for example.
Thank you Octagone. I agree that the rendering of detail with the DP2M is incredible and unmatched by comparable size cameras (and even some larger ones as well).

Quentin_Bargate

..I agree that the rendering of detail with the DP2M is incredible and unmatched by comparable size cameras (and even some larger ones as well).
Impressive pictures. Mix them up with large format or high end backs and I doubt anyone could tell the difference

scho

Impressive pictures. Mix them up with large format or high end backs and I doubt anyone could tell the difference
Thanks Quentin. I remember lugging 4x5 gear through the gorges to capture a few film images that then required processing and meticulous scanning to get even close to the image quality this tiny DP2M can produce. Just mind blowing.

bbodine9

Has anyone tried bracketing with the DP2M and if so are the shots taken fairly quickly or is there a huge lag while the files are written to the buffer?

Thank you!

scho

Has anyone tried bracketing with the DP2M and if so are the shots taken fairly quickly or is there a huge lag while the files are written to the buffer?

Thank you!
The buffer is fairly large. I just tried continuous mode and got off 7 raw shots before the buffer was filled.

scho

A few shots from an afternoon walk near Buttermilk Falls.

Building Obos

Not much water left for swimming (two shot stitch)

Peeling paint on abandoned house (100% crop, open image in new window for full detail)

scho

very impressive picture(!), Carl and very "heavy". And even more impressive for a 100% crop.
Thorkil
Than you Thorkil. At least for web display, it seems as though there is enough resolution in these files to just use 100% crops as an alternative to shooting with a macro lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been following this thread for a while. Very interesting camera and possibly ideal for my kind of photography. Another area that would be suitable is probably product photography, at least as long as the products aren't so small that a macro lens is needed.

Quentin_Bargate

I've been following this thread for a while. Very interesting camera and possibly ideal for my kind of photography. Another area that would be suitable is probably product photography, at least as long as the products aren't so small that a macro lens is needed.
There is a "close up" accessory lens but mine is on back-order.

More great stuff, Carl :thumbup:

My Zeiss 24mm lens for my NEX-7 cost as much as the DP2M, which has a much better lens than the Zeiss - and thats before you even consider the sensor.

scho

There is a "close up" accessory lens but mine is on back-order.

More great stuff, Carl :thumbup:

My Zeiss 24mm lens for my NEX-7 cost as much as the DP2M, which has a much better lens than the Zeiss - and thats before you even consider the sensor.
Thanks Quentin. I've been looking for a close-up lens but can't find any listed at either B&H or the Sigma site for the DP2M. Did you order a Sigma close-up lens or another model?