The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

A couple of interior church panos done today locally, using a light weight tripod and ball head.

PTGui used for stitching with Smartblend plug-in

Better than (and different from using) a wide angle lens really :D

Note just how good the DP2 is at retaining detail in the windows. This is not an HDR shot.

Quentin
Quentin, Very nice interior pano shots. I agree on the DR capability of the DP2M and I also find that I can get by with much less PP fiddling. The images just look great right out of the raw converter.

scho

Three more shots from my meandering today near the Cornell arboretum with the DP2M.

Old barn with active bee hive in front (kept my distance).

FULL SIZE

Chinese Gong on top of the arboretum overlook (two image stitch)

FULL SIZE

Arboretum ponds and pergola (two image stitch)

FULL SIZE

SlingBlade

A couple of interior church panos done today locally, using a light weight tripod and ball head.

PTGui used for stitching with Smartblend plug-in

Better than (and different from using) a wide angle lens really :D

Quentin
Thanks Quentin, that pretty much answers my question.

Erik

Thorkil

Wow, Carl, I had not even noticed! Might be bras, who knows... Thats what I like about shots like this, you keep finding things...

I think I stitched 7 images.

the Merrill close up is the Sigma AML-2

and I found this link

LH2-01 Custom Hood with AML-2 Closeup lens | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers
Quentin
Hallo here to all, Allow me to just some modest sunday-remarks, not quit fresh (who knows when that will be...). Thats a fantastic picture Quentin(!), and for an architect, its funny to be able to look at all those different craftmantechniques you are using over there with lead, the way to keep it in place, your way to make sliding-windows in the past(the danish way are better here:rolleyes:), etc.
And the church-interior, wonderfull. But even thought "PTGui" and "Smartblend plug-in" tells me absolutely nothing(confession-time...and probably never will..), but allthough that fact, my eyes are allowed to be comforted and pleased when they look at quality and artistic expressions...and that's a nice thing
best lazy sundays afternoon wishes from Copenhagen
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Hallo here to all, Allow me to just some modest sunday-remarks, not quit fresh (who knows when that will be...). Thats a fantastic picture Quentin(!), and for an architect, its funny to be able to look at all those different craftmantechniques you are using over there with lead, the way to keep it in place, your way to make sliding-windows in the past(the danish way are better here:rolleyes:), etc.
And the church-interior, wonderfull. But even thought "PTGui" and "Smartblend plug-in" tells me absolutely nothing(confession-time...and probably never will..), but allthough that fact, my eyes are allowed to be comforted and pleased when they look at quality and artistic expressions...and that's a nice thing
best lazy sundays afternoon wishes from Copenhagen
Thorkil
Hi Thorkil

Thanks, and the questions I think I have answered for myself are as follows (reinforeed by Carl's excellent shots I hasten to add)

Q. Can the DP2M be used a a substitute for medium format by using stitching?

A. Yes, it can. Possibly without stitching in some cases.

Q. What are the issues?

A. green cast in shadows / corners sometimes (correctable, but a nuisance); stitching needs some work to get right.

Q. How about dynmaic range?

A. Early days, but it might better the H4D-50, incredibly.

Q. Overall, how close to medium format is a stitched image from the DPM?

A. Check for yourself - here is a link to a shot taken with the Hasselblad H4D-50 and 50mm lens (I used the HC-50mm mark 1 - which I have since upgraded to the much better, sharper edge to edge, Mark II)

Thorkil

Hi Quentin
Yes, its very, very good. Its not quite up in the level from my Hassy SWC, Velvia 50, scanned at a Imacon in the past, and enlarged by a Durst (I guess it was, digital to analogue) at glossy photopaper at 100cmx100cm (far better/sharper than if printed). But it is sufficient close. And for my purpose its what I only could dream of, I think. So decision to let the 800E go is made (at least at 99,99%) because realistic seen, a 800E is too bulky, any DSLR is too bulky for me to realistic being used more than 5-10% of the photo time. The other time might be a DP1M + some P&S cameras(and perhaps one of them should end up in a RX100 because of the resolution and IQ). And it sounds promising too with the high Dynamic range.
Perhaps I should learn to stitch, but realistic seen I will have just to go with the 28mm.
And it will be interesting to see if it can be used until a certain degree as a modest street camera too.
Thorkil

scho

The perfect system for the minimalist photographer - Sigma DP2M + DP1M. I think that is where I am heading, if the DP1M can match the DP2M quality. The Fuji XP1 and NEX7 systems will be gone next week and I will keep the OMD for casual and telephoto needs for awhile. The serious landscape work will be done with the DPMs.

scho

Carl, have you tried any infrared with the DP2M?
David,

I tried using a Hoya R72 and got nowhere. No IR response that I could see in a shot of some green foliage in bright sunlight - just very dull, underexposed grays. No Wood response at all. Suggests that IR is essentially completely blocked out with whatever cut filter they have on the sensor.

Braeside

Thanks Carl. That's a pity as the resolution would have been nice to have at IR. Should be a lot better than a Bayer array sensor I imagine. I did find instructions on how to remove the IR filter glass from a DP1, so it could probably be done on the Merill too, but rather a drastic step. Very intrigued by the DP1M and am watching this thread with interest.

scho

We walked this afternoon in the gorge just below our house. Very dark and muggy with occasional sprinkles. I used the DP2M on a small tripod with 2 sec timer for shutter release.

The "Green Lagoon", a small pool in the creek at the point where the gorge trail begins. This shot was processed in SPP using "landscape" color mode which appears to emulate Velvia. I decreased saturation about -10, but still too much color. Most of my shots are processed in SPP using "neutral" which occasionally needs a bit of a saturation boost.

FULL SIZE

A two shot stitch in the gorge. Still extremely low water and near drought conditions.

FULL SIZE

corposant

Mikey Likes It! :ROTFL:

Sigma DP2M Review

Bob
Great review - but what I can't understand is why he didn't use the Sigma 30mm on the NEX 7 - isn't it the same one in the Dp2m?

Also, I think to those who are waiting for ACR support - if there's any lesson to be learned from the X Pro-1 experience - when it comes to "unconventional" sensors, I will stick to the method that yields the best results, even if it's a pain!