The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

scho

Carl,

Send it back...buy the best sneakers you can find and take a couple of steps back...voila...DP2M becomes DP1M! Without CA! And the shoes will outlast the camera upgrades...:ROTFL:

Loving my two DP2Ms ... am pleased that I do not need the DP1M.

Bob
I haven't given up on the DP1M yet Bob, but may do so if I can't get anything better out of it in the next couple of days. The lens is really not that bad for a wide angle, but certainly not at the same quality level as the 30 in the DP2M.

Thorkil

Hi Carl,
Thanks for the pictures!
Just some quick words: There seems still to be a huge difference in colours, looking at the fish and the oak-shelf in the upper left corner and then at the ceramic pot at right. Which one come closest to perfection? It looks like the DP2 is more true(?), and all the edges of things are more welldefined and clear and sharp on the 2. And it seems too that the DP1 is more grainy, more noisy.
Thanks
Thorkil
Ps. Yes you are right, the DP1 isn't bad at all, but it just havn't got that little extra touch of refinement and clarity and convincing colours as the DP2 has, it seems.
PPs. the DP1 seems to have a sort of more dull appearence if I might say so.

Michiel Schierbeek

Hi Carl,
Thanks for the pictures!
Just some quick words: There seems still to be a huge difference in colours, looking at the fish and the oak-shelf in the upper left corner and then at the ceramic pot at right. Which one come closest to perfection? It looks like the DP2 is more true(?), and all the edges of things are more welldefined and clear and sharp on the 2. And it seems too that the DP1 is more grainy, more noisy.
Thanks
Thorkil
Ps. Yes you are right, the DP1 isn't bad at all, but it just havn't got that little extra touch of refinement and clarity and convincing colours as the DP2 has, it seems.
Same here. I have been looking yesterday evening and saw a lot of pictures on both cameras and what stroke me was the difference in colour. It could be PP, but almost all DPm1 pictures were on the very blue side. Is that also your out of camera experience, Carl?

Michiel

24mm

Unfortunately there is no support from either Adobe or Phase for Sigma raw. If you are on a Mac then Raw Developer will have support in the next revision.
Write times are very, very looong.
Adobe supported the previous Foveon, it should be a matter of time, maybe their next raw upgrade .... :)

scho

Hi Carl,
Thanks for the pictures!
Thanks
Thorkil
PPs. the DP1 seems to have a sort of more dull appearence if I might say so.
Same here. I have been looking yesterday evening and saw a lot of pictures on both cameras and what stroke me was the difference in colour. It could be PP, but almost all DPm1 pictures were on the very blue side. Is that also your out of camera experience, Carl?

Michiel
The color differences may be in part due to WB issues. I used auto WB for both cameras, but the result with the DP1M tends more to a slight magenta cast in neutrals. I agree that there is also a general "dull" appearance to the DP1M images and they don't have the apparent depth and 3D look that the DP2M conveys. This is most apparent in landscape images.

Sapphie

Is it just lens flare for the wider one?

Carl - thanks for continuing to provide full or large size images. Those shelf shots are incredibly clear and sharp.

Lee

scho

Is it just lens flare for the wider one?

Carl - thanks for continuing to provide full or large size images. Those shelf shots are incredibly clear and sharp.

Lee
Lens flare with the DP1M is certainly the main issue for the backlit pond shot.

scho

Last comparison shots on the bookshelf, this time with a ColorChecker chart included (old chart, so don't be too critical in using it). Seems like slight blue cast in both using auto white balance in camera. No adjustments made in SPP other than turning off noise reduction. Conversion to srgb and jpg export in LR, seems to darken and throw off colors slightly.

DP1M

FULL SIZE
DP2M

FULL SIZE

pophoto

Unfortunately there is no support from either Adobe or Phase for Sigma raw. If you are on a Mac then Raw Developer will have support in the next revision.
Write times are very, very looong.
Thank you Carl!
What is the current workflow and how satisfactory do you find it? I fear it may be too tedious and annoying in the long run, that it may be the camera I leave behind, despite the valiant efforts and superb results seen here.

scho

Thank you Carl!
What is the current workflow and how satisfactory do you find it? I fear it may be too tedious and annoying in the long run, that it may be the camera I leave behind, despite the valiant efforts and superb results seen here.
Workflow isn't too tedious. Basically, raw files imported into SPP, batch processed (after making any individual adjustments necessary) to 16 bit Tiff files which are imported into LR4 for any further processing, export for web, printing, etc. Bad thing is I'm accumulating both raws and tiffs until there is real raw support in LR or C1 (if ever).

scho

It poured rain here most of the day, but I managed a few quick snaps outside around the house in between rain events. I think that the DP1M performs better in flat, overcast light.

FULL SIZE

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Adobe supported the previous Foveon, it should be a matter of time, maybe their next raw upgrade ....

Don't hold your breath.

Thorkil

Hi Carl, just some few words.
Yes your last picture: If we hadn't seen DP2M's this one we would call extraordinary good(!), and it is. Yes perhaps it is the missing hood in sunshine that do most of the difference in your lake/trees pictures.
And your bookshelf: It's unfair, but looking at the upper left corner at the spiralback of the book the 2M wins by a large margin. But on the other hand, this is an unfair judgement while moving the 2M back compared to the 1, you get relatively greater DOF and therefore the upper left corner could be slightly unsharp because the 1 is closer on. But looking at the cheramic bottle, the shape of it is rendered far better by the 2M, and more 3-dimentional than the 1M, and looking at the books behind, the brown one with the brass-nail is just so much more welldefined, and deliver the shine from your light in the room in a complete different way, just about at the edge of being "overnatural". (I guess that why Quentin is turning sharpness a bit down), but again the greater distance with DP2M can do a bit of the difference, but not all.
The DP1M is doing very very well, but it just have a bigger sister that shines those 5% more. And sometimes its those little 5% that is turning our brain upside down :)
Life for me DPM-wise is not becoming easier, while I think I will buy the DP2M because of that little extra touch, and then just do wide with the Ricoh GXR 28 and the M-module. But 45mm I have never used as carry-with-me, mostly 21 or 28mm, or 14-24. But perhaps its about time trying something else :rolleyes:
Thanks.
Thorkil

24mm

Carl, thanks for the later comparison photos. I prefer the DP1M, the way it renders the scratches on the shelf, not that obvious on the DP2M. The stopper on the ceramic and the rivet at the top of the color chart is natural with the DP1M and the way it gave the dust and reflection on the shelf an analog feel, I love it. Of course conditions were not exact, so your mileage may vary ....

Frank

Thorkil

Carl, thanks for the later comparison photos. I prefer the DP1M, the way it renders the scratches on the shelf, not that obvious on the DP2M. The stopper on the ceramic and the rivet at the top of the color chart is natural with the DP1M and the way it gave the dust and reflection on the shelf an analog feel, I love it. Of course conditions were not exact, so your mileage may vary ....

Frank
Hi Frank, I think I can see what you mean, there are some marks in the wood-front just under the right side of the cheramic, which can't be seen on the DP2M, but that might be because of a different angle the DP1M is cathing the reflected light, being closer on. Funny how different eyes cathes different details :) And the "carpet" under the cheramic is more "loose" at the edges, more grainy, and you might be right, in a more film-like way than the DP2M.
Thorkil

scho

We had some heavy rain yesterday so I went to another of the local waterfalls in anticipation of some nice flows, but lighting and colors were disappointing. Here are two 2 shot stitches with the DP2M of the lower and upper falls.

FULL SIZE

FULL SIZE

Single frame shot of falls

FULL SIZE

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Lets lighten the mood here...:D

I am still in Monaco, but I am a bit worried about the qualifications of this particular Yacht Captain ....