The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

Lets lighten the mood here...:D

I am still in Monaco, but I am a bit worried about the qualifications of this particular Yacht Captain ....

as long as she is sober (but one could fear, or what..?) and well-skilled it's okay for my part for her to go through Öresund, but we do have a lot of drunken russian captains who hit bridges, coastlines or the bottom here....so you have to make sure, Quentin..
:)
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

as long as she is sober (but one could fear, or what..?) and well-skilled it's okay for my part for her to go through Öresund, but we do have a lot of drunken russian captains who hit bridges, coastlines or the bottom here....so you have to make sure, Quentin..
:)
Thorkil
HaHa...absolutely Thorkil! Fortunately she will not be put to the test, because although she is Russian, she is my Director of Business Development and not (so far as I am aware) a trained seafarer.

Thorkil

HaHa...absolutely Thorkil! Fortunately she will not be put to the test, because although she is Russian, she is my Director of Business Development and not (so far as I am aware) a trained seafarer.
:)...Okay then...but you have to beware. But she look friendly-minded. And so long as she let you do the overall navigation, things should be in safe hands, I would think!
Thorkil

biglouis

Looking at the work here, I can't wait to get my hand on the DP2 I ordered from WEX. They say it should be "end of the month, or early October". Must be a worldwide shortage - or they are still on their way from Thailand(?).

LousiB

peterb

Louis, I'm looking forward to it as well. Ordered it just shy of my birthday as a nice present to myself. I'd been aware of the camera but hadn't put much thought to it until I saw an article on Steve Huff's website. That led to an investigation of what kinds of output one could expect and an almost instant decision to dispatch an order to Sigma directly in the USA (since B&H here had it on backorder) who said they would be seeing a replenishment of units at the end of the month. (In the meantime B&H is saying they expect stocks to be replenished around Sept 26.)

I'm aware of the weaknesses and since my photo style using a Lumix G1 (and one lens, the fabulously sharp 20mm f1.7) these last four years I am looking forward to seeing what can be captured. I'm not worried about shooting at ISO 100-200 as that's pretty much where I shot with the G1. My style is a more deliberate one so I don't see any issues worrying about AF speed although I will generally pre-focus (when there's enough time) and fire when I feel the moment is right. And while I do, on occasion shoot indoors I'm not all that concerned that I get that low light shot at ISO 200.

And I already downloaded Sigma's proprietary processing software and tried it out on a few RAW files that were available for download. While many reviewers have complained I didn't find it all that more onerous than processing RAW files using photoshop elements. From what I've read my work flow will be to do initial work in Sigma's software to make tiffs then do the rest via Lightroom. The nice thing about a deliberate approach to photography (as opposed to a machine gun approach) is fewer shots to deal with. A sad habit left over from expensive film days I suppose.

All in all looking forward to creating some luscious images with this fabulous (at least from what I've seen) simple camera.

biglouis

Peter

Likewise. As most of my work at the moment is film, which involves many hours of scanning (and cleaning) - by comparison the processing steps involved in turning raw into tiff using the DP2 should be a breeze!

Let's hope Sigma meet their delivery dates

LouisB

24mm

The nice thing about a deliberate approach to photography (as opposed to a machine gun approach) is fewer shots to deal with. A sad habit left over from expensive film days I suppose.
There is nothing sad about it, quantity can never make up for quality. Get what you want, not want what you can get. Raw processing can hardly be an issue here, beats developing and scanning films hands down .... :)

Thorkil

Hi Carl, don't let my bad mood about the one picture from the DP1M, spoil your further investigation in the abilities of the DP1M. After all some pictures are turning up from the DP1M that show some of the same sharpness and good rendering as the DP2M, or it seems like it, at Flickr, and your last one was rather good too!
Thorkil

scho

Hi Carl, don't let my bad mood about the one picture from the DP1M, spoil your further investigation in the abilities of the DP1M. After all some pictures are turning up from the DP1M that show some of the same sharpness and good rendering as the DP2M, or it seems like it, at Flickr, and your last one was rather good too!
Thorkil
Thorkil,
Don't worry, I haven't given up yet. Still working with the DP1M. I'm noticing that I have to be much more careful about exposure with the DP1M to avoid blocking up shadows.

Thorkil

Thorkil,
Don't worry, I haven't given up yet. Still working with the DP1M. I'm noticing that I have to be much more careful about exposure with the DP1M to avoid blocking up shadows.
Thanks for keeping on, Carl !
Thorkil

jmg1949

First post here. Amazing images coming from this camera with obviously a very talented group of photographers taking them. I wonder if one would be able to tell the difference in a 12"x18" or 16"x20" print compared to the Sony RX100 (the compact I was planning to get before I happened upon this thread) for example. In other words, does the vibrancy and almost 3D quality that one sees on a monitor translate to a noticeable difference in a large print?

Thanks,

Jim

scho

First post here. Amazing images coming from this camera with obviously a very talented group of photographers taking them. I wonder if one would be able to tell the difference in a 12"x18" or 16"x20" print compared to the Sony RX100 (the compact I was planning to get before I happened upon this thread) for example. In other words, does the vibrancy and almost 3D quality that one sees on a monitor translate to a noticeable difference in a large print?

Thanks,

Jim
I can see more well defined fine detail in large Sigma DPM prints, compared to prints from my other cameras (XP1, OMD, NEX7).

Rich M

Carl.......these look pretty awesome. They really exhibit well balanced exposures. Is this all learning curve?

Specifically, which one is from the DP1M (or DP1M stitch)?

You know why I am asking ;)

R

scho

Carl.......these look pretty awesome. They really exhibit well balanced exposures. Is this all learning curve?

Specifically, which one is from the DP1M (or DP1M stitch)?

You know why I am asking ;)

R
OK, here is the list;

1. DP1M
2. DP1M
3. DP1M
4. DP!M 2 shot stitch
5. DP2M
6. DP1M 2 shot stitch
7. DP2M 2 shot stitch
8. DP2M 2 shot stitch
9. DP2M 2 shot stitch

24mm

Carl, thanks for the latest bunch of DP1M images, nice shots with good 3D effect to boot ....

Frank