The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Sapphie

Hi John,
When I'm shooting landscapes (most of the time) I use the LCD for composing and autofocus. The focus point can be easily re-sized and shifted around as needed. The 2 sec timer is a convenient for shutter release at slow shutter speeds. I have no complaints about autofocus, it seems to be very accurate and quick enough for my needs. I also use the LCD and AF for handheld casual shooting most of the time. I have optical finders mounted on both the DP1M and DP2M, but only use them if it is too bright to see the LCD clearly. So far I haven't done any serious macro work, but that might be the time when I would use manual focus (which seems to work OK).
I guess what I am having trouble getting my head round is how to rely on just using the LCD, rarely having shot via one before. Is it better to choose the AF point rather than focus and recompose?

Also, how is the auto matrix metering? Can I rely on it? If not, how do you compensate - is there an on-screen histogram and, if so, can it actually be seen on the LCD?

Lee

Thorkil

Wonderfull shots Uwe and Rich.
It might sound irritating, but I just have a humble wish to all here: Would I be able to persuade you all to state:
handheld/tripod
shutterspeed
aperture
(perhaps Iso too)
...and perhaps a few remarks on pp
??
(no, no..its not novel-writing I'm thinking of)
Well, I know it might be annoying, but it would certainly help to gather experience from you all (apart from the splendid pictures!).
From looking at the review at Photography Blog it seems that handheld should be at least 1/160, and it seems sort of obvious that the foveon sensor doesn't cope in the same nice way with small mikro-shakes like perhaps a M9 will do.
Best Thorkil

Last edited:

pflower

Well for what it is worth...
My DP2M only arrived yesterday and so far I have only made about 75 exposures. I also have a Nex7 which I find very difficult to handhold below about 1/160th. The DP2 is a different beast, different technique. For some reason I find it easier to keep steady than the Nex. I have shots that are pin sharp handheld, wide open at 1/80th. Mind you I have also some camera shake at much higher speeds. It is a question of concentration and how stable your hands are.

It might sound irritating, but I just have a humble wish to all here: Would I be able to persuade you all to state:
handheld/tripod
shutterspeed
aperture
(perhaps Iso too)
?
Well, I know it might be annoying, but it would certainly help to gather experience from you all (apart from the splendid pictures!).
From looking at the review at Photography Blog it seems that handheld should be at least 1/160, and it seems sort of obvious that the foveon sensor doesn't cope in the same nice way with small mikro-shakes like perhaps a M9 will do.
Best Thorkil

peterb

Plfower just got mine yesterday, too.

What I noticed IMMEDIATELY (aside from the absolutely solid feel of the body and metal clad lens-wow!) was...due to the camera's unique acentric lens/body configuration (I can't recall any other camera recently with a lens off to the side like this), holding it naturally after picking it up I noticed that my left index finger acts as support under the lens barrel whilst my middle left finger supported the rest of the camera body from the bottom which, with the right hand grabbing the right via the bumps in the front and the sublte-yet-convenient thumb indent in the back made for a surprisingly steadier hold than any other camera I've ever held before.

In physics terms the strikingly different position of the camera's center of mass compared with other cameras as utilized by the geometry and structural bone configuration of our hands is definitely an advantage here for hand-held work.

Just my thoughts.

Rich M

I guess what I am having trouble getting my head round is how to rely on just using the LCD, rarely having shot via one before. Is it better to choose the AF point rather than focus and recompose?

Also, how is the auto matrix metering? Can I rely on it? If not, how do you compensate - is there an on-screen histogram and, if so, can it actually be seen on the LCD?

Lee
Rich

Lovely shots, beautiful colours. Did you do much PP for these?

Lee
handheld/tripod
shutterspeed
aperture
(perhaps Iso too)
...and perhaps a few remarks on pp
??
(no, no..its not novel-writing I'm thinking of)
Best Thorkil
Lee & Thorkill......good questions all. It's only my third day out with the DP1M. So far all my shots have been purposely taken in bright daylight, but trying to avoid situations where there is a wide DR. I have shot all the pics so far at ISO100, handheld, f/5.6-6.3 with shutter speeds greater than 1/160. 90% of my shots had +0.7 EC dialed in to lift the shadows. (I have to be careful on this one....whites completely blow out). Matrix metering.
At the distance between subject and camera with the aperture that I have shooting at, I feel comfortable with focus/recompose. The camera does have a very small MFD (maybe 7"??).....so when I am that close, I will choose another focusing point (which is very simple to do.)
There is a dedicated button for histogram, but I have not used it yet. Even in bright sunlight, the LCD is usable.
I have not tried a tripod yet.

The reason for the above is that I wanted to see first the BEST the camera could do under optimal conditions. Thank god the sun has been out :D
I did not want my initial tries to be confounded by conditions that would color my evaluation of the camera.

I have gotten used to SPP (ver 5.3.2 OSX). Calibrated monitors really pay off. Subtle tweaks in SPP can have a larger effect. I really do not do a lot of PP here (similar to the Fuji with RPP)......I just get use it to convert to TIFF. I do dial down the sharpening.
Import into LR and do the usual.....again not a lot of PP.

Thanks for the questions.....gotta go make coffee. :)

R

Sapphie

Funny that Merrill owners have to *reduce* sharpening!

Thanks for the info, Rich. UK is about to descend into winter so maybe I will wait till the spring, although there is the possibility of an autumn first ...

Keep them coming folks!

Lee

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Funny that Merrill owners have to *reduce* sharpening!

THe fact that you may use negative sharpening does not mean there is no sharpening. We just don't know.

scho

Around the boatyard
IMG]http://lanaihale.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v64/p1154814982-5.jpg[/IMG]

Different shot....not a crop.

Getting used to SPP.

R
Doing well rich. Down in DC for a few days so getting by with iPhone.

jlm

Workshop Member
will soon start a vendor thread for this item, but i have the prototype grip done for the Sigma DP Merril's and will post pics tomorrow:

features (similar to my OMD grip):
-grip has a rough textured surface
-baseplate is full length
-finish is black anodized aluminum
-fits using tripod mount, provides a second tripod mount when fitted
-has arca style grooves along base for fitting to a tripod clamp
-has a (removable) pin and slot for a wrist strap
-has an index mark for the lens centerline
-does not block access to the battery door
-weight is about 80 grams

optionally available as part of above:
-L-plate end for Portrait orientation, with arca grooves, tripod socket and index lines

made in Brooklyn

Hi

thanks to all the great photos made with the DP2M in this thread, I ordered also one for me. Could not resist anymore.

Since it has no viewfinder, I need to take care of the LCD screen more than in the past. Can anybody recommend screenprotectors, which do not reflect, have great clarity and colours and with which I can still focus easily in the sun?

I heard names like Giottos Aegis, GGS and ACMAXX. Which are the best for the DP2M?

Which lensshade are you using, which extra battery, which UV filter for protecting the lens?

Rich M

Plfower just got mine yesterday, too.

What I noticed IMMEDIATELY (aside from the absolutely solid feel of the body and metal clad lens-wow!) was...due to the camera's unique acentric lens/body configuration (I can't recall any other camera recently with a lens off to the side like this), holding it naturally after picking it up I noticed that my left index finger acts as support under the lens barrel whilst my middle left finger supported the rest of the camera body from the bottom which, with the right hand grabbing the right via the bumps in the front and the sublte-yet-convenient thumb indent in the back made for a surprisingly steadier hold than any other camera I've ever held before.

In physics terms the strikingly different position of the camera's center of mass compared with other cameras as utilized by the geometry and structural bone configuration of our hands is definitely an advantage here for hand-held work.

Just my thoughts.
Peter.......I hold it the same way. I really think it could benefit with a well-designed Thumbs-Up.

I tried the one from my XP-1, but it does not fit into the lower profile shoe.

R

biglouis

Mine arrived today. Bad weather most of the afternoon and I thought I wouldn't get a chance to test it until today. However, when I got back to my home area the sun peeped through the clouds.

I could wax lyrical about the beauty, sharpness and colouration of the captures out of this camera but the pictures speak for themselves. I will say that my best camera is my Fuji GSW690III ('Texas Leica') and these shots easily rival scans from 6x9 negs for detail.

PP: all hand held, process in SP5 with tweaks to exposure to recover highlights, export as 16-bit TIFF to LR so I can catalogue them, some cropping in LR, export to CS3 for curves adjustment and highlight/shadow recovery, resize for web, convert to sRGB, save-as jpg, slight reduction in saturation(!) in Microsoft picture viewer. No sharpening!

Last edited:

biglouis

Accessories for DP2

Can anyone share advice on:

1. Screen protector
2. Whether a protection filter can be added. Searching the web seems to suggest the thread on the lens is 49mm???
3. Is the lens hood really necessary?

LouisB

Re: Accessories for DP2

Can anyone share advice on:

1. Screen protector
2. Whether a protection filter can be added. Searching the web seems to suggest the thread on the lens is 49mm???
3. Is the lens hood really necessary?

LouisB
I just tried an accmaxx for the LCD screen, which I still had for my Sony a900. Size fits almost perfect, but I find it too thick. Would like to try another, but no store has others in stock in my town.

Thread is 49mm. Infos only available on the Us site of sigma. It seems that you can use filter plus lens shade. I do not know whether the original filter and lens shade of Sigma is worth it. Would love to hear about other options.

I would always use a lens shade, no matter on which lens. Not only on sunny days.