The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Great shots, Carl.

Something a bit prosaic from the church visit today

Louis, I try to shoot for the shadows. The X3 fill light seems to work almost like an HDR function. I always set colour to "neutral" and use sunlight out doors.

scho

Mostly tripod for landscapes. Here is another of the Fall Creek gorge below Ithaca Falls. Look at original, full size image for the detail in the gorge wall, foliage, and stream rocks. This was a two shot stitch, cropped.

FULL SIZE

Sapphie

Thanks Rich.

I wanted to ask about the 'Convert to JPEG' option within SPP. It has been mentioned over on DPR that the RAW file contains a full JPEG and that this can be 'extracted'. I must admit to have been struggling to even find the 'Convert to JPEG' option but it resides on the File menu when you are in the SPP browser window. This would remove the need to shoot RAW+JPEG and save on some file space on the card. You can then select multiple images in the browser window and generate the JPEGs this way, if you wanted to do so quickly.

The JPEG produced this way certainly doesn't use any of the settings you may have made in the SPP Adjustment panel, so it is not the same as Save As ... so I think this is correct, it is a copy of the JPEG as produced by the camera at the time of shooting.

One more observation - when opening a RAW file in SPP you get an initial rendering and then, once fully processed, the image changes slightly. I had assumed this was much like any other RAW converter where you initially get the embedded JPEG displayed before the final result generated by the converter. That would make sense except this initial rendering I see does not match the JPEG that I get extracted the above way!

Lee

Quentin_Bargate

Mostly tripod for landscapes. Here is another of the Fall Creek gorge below Ithaca Falls. Look at original, full size image for the detail in the gorge wall, foliage, and stream rocks. This was a two shot stitch, cropped.

FULL SIZE
You have a perfect amount of movement in the water there, Carl :thumbup:

Sadly we don't have many waterfalls near where we live!

What are you using to help with stitching?

Quentin

Last edited:

scho

You have a perfect amount of movement in the water there, Carl :thumbup:

Sadly we don't have many waterfalls near where we live!

What are you using?

Quentin
Thanks Quentin. The 1/2 sec shutter speed put just the right amount of drag on the water. I'm using an old Gitzo 1027 MKII carbon fiber tripod, Gitzo ball head, and RRS QR clamp. The latter works well with John's L plate on the combo grip. I just use Photomerge in CS6 for stitching.

Sapphie

Link to 50% size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8062996751_83f69e4374_k.jpg (click the zoom icon once the image has loaded)

This is a very special camera. Nothing great about the following shot except to say that the houses on the hill between the two trees are 3 miles away. One of those houses is ours. When I zoom in to 100% I can quite clearly see our windows, chimneys etc and no we don't live in a mansion ...

Link to 50% original size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8063025248_f575abb408_k.jpg (click the zoom icon once the image has loaded)

Lee

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here two shots from DP2M and X-Pro1 (not the same but same airplane and light):

X-Pro1 + 35mm (converted with PhotoRaw on the iPad :))

DP2M

The DP2M shows clearly more detail but I like the X-Pro1 image too.

F

FullFrameOrBust

Here two shots from DP2M and X-Pro1 (not the same but same airplane and light):

The DP2M shows clearly more detail but I like the X-Pro1 image too.
+1 ... more bite on that Sigma image too

Quentin_Bargate

Uwe

Your plane shots clearly show a critical difference in revealing texture. I think it must be a combination of sensor and lens working together to produce something special.

whatever it is, it has me under a spell! :grin:

ustein

Contributing Editor
DP2M: Detail amazing, lens is first rate, colors can be mutes, shadows noisy, no high ISO camera, $1000

X-Pro1: 35mm lens is good, detail can be an issue if pixel peeping, colors fine, high ISO nice, raw processing needs improvement, 35mm is an f/1.4 lens for shallow DOF and real low light, $2300 with 35mm

Last edited: