The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

peterb

Wanted to test out zone focus on the DP2M and got this cool shot at an Apple store in Washington D.C.'s Georgetown section. Enjoy.

Last edited:

peterb

Some scenes from Washington, D.C.'s Georgetown.

Potomac Patrol. Jetting Away. And skiff competition. Enjoy.

Last edited:

W.Utsch

A "quick and dirty" panorama from today. Tried my NodalNinja 3 with the DP2M . 6 Shots in portrait mode. The contrast from l to r is too big and i forgot to set to M mode, so it is shot in A at f 6.3. Ex was edited in SPP stiched in PT Gui pro.

Rhein river and chemical plant:

[/url]
SDIM0847-13. November 2012-2 Panorama.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr[/IMG]​

The Detail at 100% is just unreal (the jpeg shows some artifacts in the sky):

http://db.tt/NalrcAAv

Werner

Thorkil

Hi all your dear fellows, and particular those who got both the PD1M and the DP2M.
Well, well....please listen.
I would better have liked to wait until 3 month with this question, but I can’t.
I would like to get your personal non-objective opinion of which of these two you will prefer grabbing it hasty out of the doorway.
For my part it’s obvious that the 2’ have the stellar appearance IQ-wise, colours, edge to edge sharpnes, but for my part it would seems too limiting with just a 45mm lens (perhaps..).
I don’t think the 1’ have been giving full credit here (yes, yes I know the other thread, but still) while it in my eyes have something special to offer. Not the same colours, stellar spot on, rich and lively, but more soft, old fashion, film-like, sometimes a twist more odd, a bit more grainy, a bit more special. And a 28mm wide gives something else for free, the perspective like any other 28mm.
But….Please write your thoughts just straight out of your mind…!
And while you are thinking I’m just going to buy a Ricoh GRD IV tomorrow, just to have that simple and small real-pocket-camera with wonderful quality, and that splendid way to handle it, like a mini GXR, and just so user-friendly and some more Iso, for more liberated free hand pictures, for the outmost intuitive brain-hand-camera connection….(a mini-way of my lovely M6)
And after you have written your thoughts down here, then I, after a little while, I can buy a 1M (or perhaps a 2M, we will see)
Best
Thorkil

scho

Hi all your dear fellows, and particular those who got both the PD1M and the DP2M.
Well, well....please listen.
I would better have liked to wait until 3 month with this question, but I can’t.
I would like to get your personal non-objective opinion of which of these two you will prefer grabbing it hasty out of the doorway.
For my part it’s obvious that the 2’ have the stellar appearance IQ-wise, colours, edge to edge sharpnes, but for my part it would seems too limiting with just a 45mm lens (perhaps..).
I don’t think the 1’ have been giving full credit here (yes, yes I know the other thread, but still) while it in my eyes have something special to offer. Not the same colours, stellar spot on, rich and lively, but more soft, old fashion, film-like, sometimes a twist more odd, a bit more grainy, a bit more special. And a 28mm wide gives something else for free, the perspective like any other 28mm.
But….Please write your thoughts just straight out of your mind…!
And while you are thinking I’m just going to buy a Ricoh GRD IV tomorrow, just to have that simple and small real-pocket-camera with wonderful quality, and that splendid way to handle it, like a mini GXR, and just so user-friendly and some more Iso, for more liberated free hand pictures, for the outmost intuitive brain-hand-camera connection….(a mini-way of my lovely M6)
And after you have written your thoughts down here, then I, after a little while, I can buy a 1M (or perhaps a 2M, we will see)
Best
Thorkil
Thorkil,
I don't want to "poison" your thoughts about DP1 vs DP2 Merrill as this is a very personal, subjective decision based on how and what you like to shoot most often. However, after using both cameras now for awhile I can tell you that the one I (perhaps not you) grab most often going out the door is the DP2. This is not specific to the merits of the Sigma lenses - just that I've always had this problem with 28s. I currently have (should sell them) five 28mm RF lenses that I've used on Leica M8, m43, and NEX cameras. I never was comfortable with this focal length (adjusting for crop factors). I'm sure that Rich and others have very different experiences, as have you. Technically I think that the lens on the DP2 has a slight edge over the DP1 lens, but both are really good.
Best regards,
Carl

ustein

Contributing Editor
I would be able to do most with the DP2M and not really with the DP1M. I tend to use normal to tele all the time.

Thorkil

Thorkil,
I don't want to "poison" your thoughts about DP1 vs DP2 Merrill as this is a very personal, subjective decision based on how and what you like to shoot most often. However, after using both cameras now for awhile I can tell you that the one I (perhaps not you) grab most often going out the door is the DP2. This is not specific to the merits of the Sigma lenses - just that I've always had this problem with 28s. I currently have (should sell them) five 28mm RF lenses that I've used on Leica M8, m43, and NEX cameras. I never was comfortable with this focal length (adjusting for crop factors). I'm sure that Rich and others have very different experiences, as have you. Technically I think that the lens on the DP2 has a slight edge over the DP1 lens, but both are really good.
Best regards,
Carl
Thanks Carl for answer.
I do think its a matter of what you are grown up with. 28 is really too much "tele" for me, a lot of times. Had a 21mm on the M6 non-stop for several years. And then the SWC, which correspond with the 21. A sort of matter of how you look at the world. How things are getting challinged in your mind when you choose a subject.
Thorkil

scho

A beautiful November day on the lake. Fall Creek and park boathouse with a little golden willow color. DP2M, handheld.

Canada Geese and Starbursts (shot into the sun).

biglouis

For the past year or so I have been doing a long term project in an old cemetary in Whitechapel, in the heart of the East End of London. This has been a project done 90% on MF film.

I've been deliberately trying to capture 1:1 frames using the DP2M as a comparison. Now, I'm not sure whether to continue with film or just the DP2M!

If you want to take a look at the full frame (12MB!) jpeg conversion then it is here

DP2M, iso100, f4 tripod mounted converted to TIFF in SP5 then to jpeg in LR3 - and yes, some of the headstones do actually fluoresce green in fierce direct sunlight.

Farnesworth

Just for complete overkill, seven stitched together....

Click through twice on website to get a higher resolution version. The full version was too big to even post to the web...

Last edited:

retow

Three color ones, although with the hazy conditions I think B&W renders the scenes more dramatic.

Last edited: