The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Sapphie

Loving my Merrill ...

Where does it leave my X-Pro 1 kit? Maybe I need to cut my losses and exchange for a DP1M and DP3M, LOL!

P.S. it has just struck me, looking at some of the DP images on my machine that they almost have the look of 'digital Cibachrome' ...

Lee

antara

A view of LA from Playa Del Rey at Balona Creek, a sacred indian burial ground, saved from Dreamsworks trying to build on this land.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Lee: interesting comment. Other cameras may be more accurate, but there's something about the overall look of the DP's images that is compelling; the 'cibachrome' aspect is part of it, for sure. Only the lack of an EVF stops me selling the X-E1 and buying the other two Merrills.

Jim DE

As Michiel knows I am very interested in the SD2m as I mostly do scenic photography so it seems like a good fit (mostly do my scenics with a NEX7 and CG glass now and leave the big stuff at home).

One thing I am noticing when I look at SD2m images from the web on my 27" desktop that there appears to be a (for lack of a better term) grain or salt and pepper pixelation appearance at times in some images. Is that just due to the images just have SO much detail and clarity that when the files are downsized you get this pixilation salt and pepper grain appearance? Or am I seeing things? I don't see it when I view the images on my iPhone or my small mac pro laptop.

Please don't read this as being critical because I know the images are excellent and the camera seems to really be a great tool for the scenic/still life photogs looking for ultimate detail and clarity. It appears to me most obvious to me in images having lots of Black and White in them or B&W conversions.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Is that just due to the images just have SO much detail and clarity that when the files are downsized you get this pixilation salt and pepper grain appearance?

I see the same and think it is this high amount of detail. Good to discuss here.

Jim DE

Thanks Uwe for replying. I don't see it on smaller screens just my big desktop iMac.

I know I used to see this effect in the earlier days of digital as we crept up on the number of available pixels but were posting much smaller versions of our images due to web restrictions in size........ My images showed in at web size but my prints were awesome and when viewed on my screens while processing they looked equally great...

I am really getting enthused about the SD2m but want to know all I can before taking the plunge...... where I live camera shops are very limited and they rarely have cameras such as the SD2m ever in stock to try. I am not one who will order from the net to try and return it if I don't like it ..... I feel that is unfair to the dealer and the next guy who thinks he is buying a new camera. If I buy I keep and try and find ways to work around what I don't like.

Sapphie

Sapphie and Kit: maybe worth to remember that your Fuji optics will survive many camera generations ?
Indeed, so true and they are great optics. So I am not selling yet. Looking through a few from my back catalog with Accuraw (and the C1 beta) recently I came to the conclusion that the X-Pro 1 shots were amongst the best from any camera I have had, including the X100.

But then there are those from the Merrill ... that I am still coming to terms with.

If only there were more time for photography (work gets in the way but also pays for the hobby ...)

Lee

Michiel Schierbeek

As Michiel knows I am very interested in the SD2m as I mostly do scenic photography so it seems like a good fit (mostly do my scenics with a NEX7 and CG glass now and leave the big stuff at home).

One thing I am noticing when I look at SD2m images from the web on my 27" desktop that there appears to be a (for lack of a better term) grain or salt and pepper pixelation appearance at times in some images. Is that just due to the images just have SO much detail and clarity that when the files are downsized you get this pixilation salt and pepper grain appearance? Or am I seeing things? I don't see it when I view the images on my iPhone or my small mac pro laptop.
I am not sure, it is more for the far more technical quys around here to answer, but I thought so as well. It looks like the monitor can't handle the resolution at certain sizes. (BTW it is DP2M)
I also noticed this grainy effect with upsized JPG images which I use as screensavers but not only from the DP2M but also my NEX images :confused:

JPlease don't read this as being critical because I know the images are excellent and the camera seems to really be a great tool for the scenic/still life photogs looking for ultimate detail and clarity. It appears to me most obvious to me in images having lots of Black and White in them or B&W conversions.[/QUOTE said:
My latest post just has a lot of snow, not salt :D

Michiel

Jim DE

:) Michiel .... I was not referring to your image. I see it far more in images that have considerable blacks and various grey tones or B&W conversions. Images with a high variance in colors it does not seem as visible.

Guess if I am considering it I better learn its name ;) ... sorry guys "DP2m"

valka

Hi you all!
Recently i was browsing my friends travelblog (From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) - ADVrider) with wonderful pictures and kept thinking, what a equipment he must have to take all these beautiful shots. Then I found out that the only camera he had with him was Sigma DP2, the 15MPx one. I couldn't believe that this kind of small camera could take this kind of photos, so I googled, and found this thread with all the eyecandy out here. I was sold :)
Now, my old camera is in sale and Sigma DP2M in shipment from Germany and hopefully arriving soon enough.
So my question is memory cards, what size and speed are you using? What's good enough for DP2M?

Heiki

biglouis

Hi you all!
Recently i was browsing my friends travelblog (From Estonia with love (Round the World awesome ADVenture!!) - ADVrider) with wonderful pictures and kept thinking, what a equipment he must have to take all these beautiful shots. Then I found out that the only camera he had with him was Sigma DP2, the 15MPx one. I couldn't believe that this kind of small camera could take this kind of photos, so I googled, and found this thread with all the eyecandy out here. I was sold :)
Now, my old camera is in sale and Sigma DP2M in shipment from Germany and hopefully arriving soon enough.
So my question is memory cards, what size and speed are you using? What's good enough for DP2M?

Heiki
Heiki

Enjoy your camera - it can take some remarkable pictures and even become a little bit of an addiction.

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.

Others may disagree and perhaps someone has discovered a super fast cast that really does shorten write times but I suspect whatever you do you'll have to be patient.

It's a bit like Guinness. Some of the best things in life just cannot be hurried.

LouisB

valka

Heiki

Enjoy your camera - it can take some remarkable pictures and even become a little bit of an addiction.

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.

Others may disagree and perhaps someone has discovered a super fast cast that really does shorten write times but I suspect whatever you do you'll have to be patient.

It's a bit like Guinness. Some of the best things in life just cannot be hurried.

LouisB
Couldn't agree more on the Guiness thing :) Anyway, to be sure my Sigma doesn't get held back by some slow memory card I ordered this: SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC and SDXC UHS-I Memory Cards by SanDisk
Will do a comparison with some cheaper card when I get hold on my card and camera.
Hope the sun will be out when my camera arrives. Days (weeks) can be cloudy here in Estonia.

Heiki

Charles2

...SO much detail and clarity that when the files are downsized you get this pixilation salt and pepper grain appearance?
Yes, DP Merrill files require appropriate technique for downsizing. I normally use FastStone, the donation only viewer, to downsize a large TIF to a JPG for the Web. It offers several algorithms, and your choice matters. Lanczos2 is noticeably sharper than Lanczos3, so avoid the former. But I am no expert; let others suggest methods.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I posted a version of this over on Fred's site, on the other DP2M thread. This is SOOC Raw, -1.0 sharpening and that was all, from memory. Getting WB is tricky with this camera, and I think I was -0.3EV underexposed, too (that was not intentional!). The slight greenish tint on the RHS of her face is as shot; the main window light comes from a huge very green garden.

This is my Mother, who hates being photographed, window light (behind me), handheld.

I wold love to know how you all do frames; I have to admit no love for Photoshop, but do own CS4, the extended version.