The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Kirk Candlish

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.
Where you'll realize the advantage of a modern fast card if when offloading files. I'm using a 64MB Sandisk Ultra SDXC with a USB 3 reader. I compared it to a couple of other class 10 cards that are a year old and felt the time it saved me was well worth it.

Of course it's been a long time since I had a camera that created such anticipation waiting for the images to come up for review after shooting. My Hassy and Leicas, I know what I'm going to see there, none of the excitement of the DP2M.

Getting WB is tricky with this camera...
Just don't use AWB and it's very consistent. If in daylight, set it to daylight.

Your mom has a very natural skin tone and her blouse looks white on my Spectraview display.

Kirk Candlish

The slight greenish tint on the RHS of her face is as shot; the main window light comes from a huge very green garden.
I was just about to add to my post that the green cast looks like room influence on her skin and then I looked at her shoulder. Lots of green coming from that window.

valka

Heiki

Enjoy your camera - it can take some remarkable pictures and even become a little bit of an addiction.

I have tried two cards. A fairly old slower SD card and a modern top class card and I am afraid to say that the difference is marginal - or at least I can't find any difference.

Others may disagree and perhaps someone has discovered a super fast cast that really does shorten write times but I suspect whatever you do you'll have to be patient.

It's a bit like Guinness. Some of the best things in life just cannot be hurried.

LouisB
Couldn't agree more on the Guiness thing :) As for memory card, I ordered SanDisk's SDHC Memory Card Extreme Pro Class 10 UHS-I, what should have writing speed about 90MB/s. Just to be sure my Sigma doesn't get held back by some crappy SD card. Will do some testing when I get my hand on them.
Keep the photos flowing meanwhile :thumbup:

Heiki

P

Pete_G

The card you ordered will be fine but it won't necessarily speed up write times, I think the DP2M bus works at 25MB per second, no more. With internal processing and writing, expect about 13 seconds for a file to written to the card, although the buffer will allow 7 exposures before it gets filled up and needs to be flushed. Still, you should be delighted with the camera.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I wold love to know how you all do frames; I have to admit no love for Photoshop, but do own CS4, the extended version.
Here is a fast color corrected framed copy of your very nice portrait of your mother....

Take PS and under IMAGE take the Canvas Size...check relative and add whatever you want....even pic color as desired.

Kit's Mother

Bob

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carl, thanks - but no close up lens used on this occasion, just the DP2m. We get quite a lot of hoar frost where we are. This morning was stunningly beautiful. Oddly my DP3m scepticism has changed to rampant enthusiasm partly because of its macro capability. I hope it's released here in the UK soon, otherwise I will be asking you to buy one for me :ROTFL:

Sapphie

Kit

You have a beautiful mother, captured beautifully.

I think you should tell her she posed really well ... and the look in the eye, well ... !

Lee

Norm N

Here is a two shot pano of the lobby of the Rookery building in Chicago. The interior was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the early 1900's. The interior has been beautifully restored. You are not allowed to use tripods to photograph, so this is handheld at: 400, f2.8, and 1/60.

Norm

Sapphie

Predictably (for me) the best shots of a short session today were ruined by camera shake but I managed to pull one or two from the bunch.

I love the way that the Merrill renders water and fine light.

Lee