The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks to all who commented on the image of my Mother; quite unexpected. As well, I have learned much about colour casts, etc. (and I have to say the X-E1 has none of these little habits). I work on my meagre PS skills... cheers, KL

Quentin_Bargate

The folowing image with the DP2M is in colour, but there is almost no colour in the shot. The trees have faint tint. The original is typical DP2M sharp

peterb

Quentin, these shots are absolutely breathtaking (particularly the sepia one with the bokeh limb in the foreground for added depth). Thanks so much for sharing (and taking).

P

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK

I'm back...

Took the DP2M for a stroll today...actually had some time off to visit my favorite rail yard...not a real one...retired cars and a couple of steam engines that tour the area rails.

So here are a couple of pictures from the morning.

Sigma DP2M

Yellow Caboose and Signage

Converging Tracks

Green Rail Car and Clock Tower

Bob

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
For me, 'Rail House in Yellow" is truly evocative. Tariq (I think it was) showed us recently that SPP crushes the blacks before we even see any images in the processor window, and he and both feel that this is part of the "Foveon" look (that and incredible detail). That image will print like film—and the attractiveness of it is not just the nostalgia of the film look (I don't think); it's as much about reducing the reality of the experience to its elements—as much about what is suggested as what's explicit.

For example, with DR 400 set, the X-E1 probably would have given us details on the posts' surfaces that are facing us, but the image above suggests their presence instead. The overall effect of this (perhaps part of the alleged 'Foveon' look) is that the graphic elements emerge. For me personally, this is how I remember things, and I think that's where the nostalgic aspects arise. Just 2¢'s worth.

raist3d

>Who said the DPM's aren't for portrait work!

For me they show too much detail. But this is also a matter of the image size on the web.
I am with Uwe (now speaking in general) that some portrait shots with the DP2M can have too much detail, that to me it gets digitally-distracting (hardly a "film look"). The good news is that some of that can be tamed by sliding SPP sharpness slider to the left (soft). Sort of work to some degree to tame that.

Certainly it's better to have the option.

- Ricardo

Quentin_Bargate

I am with Uwe (now speaking in general) that some portrait shots with the DP2M can have too much detail, that to me it gets digitally-distracting (hardly a "film look"). The good news is that some of that can be tamed by sliding SPP sharpness slider to the left (soft). Sort of work to some degree to tame that.

Certainly it's better to have the option.

- Ricardo
With the greatest respect, Ricardo, you can never have too much detail. its like saying you have too much colour, or too much light. Its nonsense. More detail is always better. if you need to tame the detail for aesthetic reasons, as may well be the case with female portraits, there are plenty post-production options available.

Quentin

JSRockit

With the greatest respect, Ricardo, you can never have too much detail. its like saying you have too much colour, or too much light. Its nonsense. More detail is always better.
Saying you can never have too much detail is nonsense too. It all depends on your needs and wants for a particular photo.

Kyndel

With the greatest respect, Ricardo, you can never have too much detail. its like saying you have too much colour, or too much light. Its nonsense. More detail is always better. if you need to tame the detail for aesthetic reasons, as may well be the case with female portraits, there are plenty post-production options available.

Quentin
I agree 100% = You can not put details in a photo, that is not there from the beginning, but you can always "blur" it - that is not hard, but easy, and if you want it in a pro way e.g. use portraits "blur" from Nik software or another software.

It is the details from this camera (and I like the colors too), that is the reason I have ordered it and a lot of very fine posts from Quentin, thanks A LOT to you.

I simply love details for my landscapes, therefore I bought the Nikon D3x, but it looks like this camera here perhaps can beat it.

scho

We are still in the "big chill" with below zero temps. A comparison shot from a brief walk along the lake using the DP2M and an IR converted Nex 5N fitted with a Contax C/Y 28mm Distagon.

DP2M

NEX 5N-IR