The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

W.Utsch

@Michiel:
Congrats for being introduced on Uwe's webpage (outbackphoto)!

Your work deserves well a wide attention. Uwes introduction is to the point.
Best regards from icy Germany.

scho

Carl, both good, but I prefer the DP2M shot
Carl, In this case I like the black&white HDR of the 5n as well, the way the sky and the lake are drawn.

Michiel
the DP2M Carl, :thumbs:, the strongest and most harmonic, through my screen
Thorkil
Thanks Quentin, Michiel, and Thorkil. I like both versions of this scene, but the DP2M still has best detail. The modified NEX 5N has no AA filter, but not enough gain in resolution to match the Foveon.

valka

Finally got my hands on Sigma yesterday. Made first test shots outside and the results were AMAZING. Why do you need zoom if you have Sigma's enormous IQ :) Absolutely love the results. Writing speed to memory card is not as fast as I expected but also it doesn't disturb me.
Made this shot this morning. My cat Naks was watching birds outside the window and i had a chance to capture her.

ISO200 F2.8 1/60s
Full size

I'm little disturbed by this green casting in shadows but I'm working on that.

Heiki

Jim DE

Michiel, I am sure I would but I have been using a NEX system since it came out with a fair amount invested in gear. If the new Zeiss 12mm has corner issues and smearing(as the new UWA zoom has that I waited patiently for) on the N7 I will be looking for a small lightweight alternative for scenics (primarily out of disgust in waiting for a good E mount wide angle for the N5 and N7 so long) which the SD?m are at the top of the list right at this time.

If I get a SD?m I will end up selling my whole NEX system ( I don't need two High Res low iso scenic lightweight camera systems) and I am not one of those types who are into selling my gear and buying new gear unless I have many excellent reasons to do so other than just chasing the latest and greatest technologies (I really dislike the whole process of selling gear on the net or for that matter from my home). I am hopeful that I am not waiting on Sony/Zeiss for nothing. I would rather add to my existing system things that work than search for other systems and loose money swapping systems all the time. Being retired in this economy has definitely effected my buying habits.

biglouis

If I get a SD?m I will end up selling my whole NEX system ( I don't need two High Res low iso scenic lightweight camera systems) .
Having compared published landscape shots at full res of conventional APS-C sensors and the new RX-1, the DP2M wins hands down. But you are limited when it comes to any high-iso work.

LouisB

Jim DE

Having compared published landscape shots at full res of conventional APS-C sensors and the new RX-1, the DP2M wins hands down. But you are limited when it comes to any high-iso work.

LouisB
I have not seen a printed DP?m image as yet as no one in my photographic society owns one of these cameras but from what I see on downsized digital images on the net I can see that the Sigma has a boatload of resolution.

The limitation of low iso only is really of no concern to me as my scenic stuff (which would be why I would own a Sigma) is all supported low iso work. This is how I use my NEX's. My issue is focal length.......

I primarily use a CG 45mm on my NEX7 most of the time for scenics and stitch vertical images together....... I would like to get away from this process if possible. With the DP2m I would most likely still have to vertical stitch to get the views I enjoy creating. I hear edge image issues with the DP1m but have not seen examples plus even its lens is really too narrow for my needs and wants as well.

The Zeiss 12mm in E mount maybe my saving grace but if it fails to work on their NEX system flagship (NEX 7) properly I am not going to support Sony for this error any longer and will not buy another new sony camera just to use their wide angle lenses. I will look at alternative systems if I am forced to buy a new body. I have spent enough on this system already while waiting for this. The 12mm will be my make or break with the NEX system in lightweight scenic imaging.

biglouis

Is the DP2M the best digital camera yet made?

Is the Sigma DP2M the best digital camera yet made? Discuss...

"Camden Charlie" - DP2M, Camden Lock, today.

100% crop - outrageously detailed at iso200, f4, 1/125

Both are as-is from SP5, just passed through LR for exporting as resized jpegs.

I rest my case...

Quentin_Bargate

Re: Is the DP2M the best digital camera yet made?

Is the Sigma DP2M the best digital camera yet made? ...
Yes. Or at least, you could make out an argument that it is :thumbup: my argument would be that it has changed my photographic expectations and to some extent my photographic preferences and habits, which no other camera, even my H4D-50, has.

W.Utsch

@Jim DE
I have a NEX 7 as well, it is a very fine cam. But, even used with good primes (Zeiss 24, Sigma 19 and Sony 50), the DP2M plays sharpness and resolution wise in an other league.
The 24 Mpix of the Sony can not at all match the Sigma.
This shows of course in big prints and on screen.
For landscape and city i agree with Quentin et al it is, to date, the best digital cam (in its size and price range and beyond).
The Sony or the Oly E-M5 (and others) have their place in photography for sure. You should be flexible, but if you can go and buy a DPM, you will find new photographic horizons!

valka

Larch in winter, Tartu, Estonia

100% crop

FULL SIZE
I think this camera sees better than my own eyes :shocked:

valka

Edit: Fixed the links

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Quentin, your finding of that diagonal is masterful.

In response to Big Louis's question: the best IQ, a really intelligent UI, but no finder (and the colour casts and very slow write times) means overall not the best digital camera so far, but a huge step towards that goal. For me the best overall is the X-E1 with the 35/1.4, but I have not yet shot these side by side and compared the results. Despite the sophistication of the X-E1's interface, it is an easier camera to live with overall.

Because I am stitching for wide angle views, it might be that the DP2 M's advantage in terms of pixel level sharpness might be mitigated by the X-E1's excellent colours, DR, and no AA filter IF C1Pro7 can solve the foliage smearing problem.

If Sigma releases this FL camera with even a modest EVF, and added lossless compression Raw files and a small built-in flash that could be dialled down to -2.0EV, then I would sell the X-E1 today. The new X-100s is on pre-order.