The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

Hi Michael
Lovely shots! Early morning or late afternoon-light? Late warm light I guess.
Cuba is perhaps one of the few places I would really love to go.
And impressive how they still love Fidel despite of being poor.
Someday you have to tell something about your workflow, while you always get them so nicely clean done!
Best
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Thank you Thorkil!

My workflow is quiet simple SPP and afterwards ACR and PS.

Not sure if they -all- still love Fidel. (ssst, the man with the beard, don't mention his name)
But they are doing a little better now, then years ago after the Russians suddenly left, with the slowly introduced reforms by Raoul Castro.

Well, there is a lot to be sad about this country but it sure is photogenic, especially for the DP2m wich performs so well on weathered structures.

Here are some more, first two Gibara, last one Holguin.

Michiel

Thorkil

Thanks Michael. I hope that Raoul keep the changes slow, or we will se all the drawbacks as we have seen almost elsewhere where changes are going on too rapidly and the free marked are pulling criminal activity in the slipstream, together with societys that are social-wise almost splitting apart...
Very nice colours, specially the first with those desert-like dreaming and soft colours.
Thorkil

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Michael. I hope that Raoul keep the changes slow, or we will se all the drawbacks as we have seen almost elsewhere where changes are going on too rapidly and the free marked are pulling criminal activity in the slipstream, together with societys that are social-wise almost splitting apart...
Very nice colours, specially the first with those desert-like dreaming and soft colours.
Thorkil
Completely agree with that, Thorkil!
To fast would be a straightforward disaster.

Michiel

stevew50

Michiel,

Beautiful colors in Cuba series, photography also of course. Reminds me of when I lived in the Bahamas in the 70's. Really enjoyed the tropical colors, palms swaying in the Trade Winds, the Ocean beautiful shades on blue and green. Very relaxed attitudes of "tomorrow Mon, no hurries". Many world travelers in sailboats would run their boats up on the reef and would still be waiting for repairs a year later. On the out islands, people tended to drive on whichever side of the road they felt like.

Steve

Michiel Schierbeek

>we are back and tired.

But I guess it was worth it.
Yes it was in deed!
Because the lack of maintenance of things it is a perfect country for the textured sensitive Sigma. Less so for the people who have to deal with it, although they manage surprisingly well.

Michiel

Øyvind Tryti

My first post here.
I got my DP2 Merrill just before Christmas, and found this site shortly afterwards.
I have been an avid lurker ever since, the athmosphere here is so nice, and I love a lot of the pictures that have been posted here.

It is time I started contributing. I will start with a few pictures I have placed on my web site - they all have a link to a full size jpeg (something I have been looking for before buying, and now to determine whether to get the DP1 and/or DP3):

Sigma DPx Merrill

Michiel Schierbeek

Welcome Oyvind! I cann't place a slash through the O but do understand the word Arbeiderpartiet in your last picture. :)

Here is a Cuban landscape for a change.

Michiel

W.Utsch

Finally the sun came out and we got sone light. Took the DP2M for a stroll through the old harbor (Rhein river) quarter in Mannheim, Germany.
This Quarter once used to be the red light district of Mannheim, was then (some 20 years ago) transformed to an immigrant and ethnic quarter, the red light places all disappeared. Today an other transformation takes place: With the opening of the Pop Academy , Germanys only university teaching Popculture (music), a lot of In places like Bars, Clubs and Galleries moved in. During night it is very lively, and you have a mixture of immigrants and the new in-croud , anarcho and alternative chic....

This is the first and "title" Photo for the following posts:

Mannheim Harbor District 1:

" Dreaming "

Michiel Schierbeek

W.Utch, I like the first one.
BTW: If you like you can use lens correction in ACR or Lightroom at +3 sometimes +4 to correct the bold lines.

Two on the more abstract side.

Michiel