The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Kyndel

DP2M is quite portrait friendly.
@ sunset

FW v1.04. AWB, Standard color profile. No color adjustments in post.
This is a beautiful lady and a soft background, but it is too sharp in the face - showing to much "particles" (pardon my English) = Simply too sharp.

IMHO: You need some software - e.g. Nik software to smoothen out in the face, or perhaps using "neutral" color mode ( I still need to try this out for portraits)

Malina DZ

This is a beautiful lady and a soft background, but it is too sharp in the face - showing to much "particles" (pardon my English) = Simply too sharp.

IMHO: You need some software - e.g. Nik software to smoothen out in the face, or perhaps using "neutral" color mode ( I still need to try this out for portraits)
Thank you, Kyndel.
Making this portrait more attractive was not my goal, it's a simple test.
I shared this photo as the camera captured it with no extra sharpening (camera default at 0) applied. Hosting server applies it while resizing the image though. This sample shows how good DP2M is in capturing the skin texture that can be very useful in some applications.

Kyndel

Thank you, Kyndel.
I shared this photo as the camera captured it with no extra sharpening (camera default at 0) applied. Hosting server applies it while resizing the image though. This sample shows how good DP2M is in capturing the skin texture that can be very useful in some applications.
OK, it is the server, I can understand that, but it is my own interpretation, also with 0 in sharpening and standard colors, that it is too sharp for portraits.

Not sure, but I believe I read some place that 0 in sharpness in camera actually was not 0, but more, and some use minus 1 or minus 2.

I still need more experience with portraits, normally I use Nikon D3x for portraits, but next time I will shoot a portrait with DP2M I will use "neutral" and perhaps minus 1 or 2 in sharpness.

-----

Others with more experience with portraits with the Merrils, perhaps will chime in here ?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
New round with some older captures with the DP2 Merrill.

DP2 Merrill Proxel X3F Output

Old Oak in Greenbelt

Train Cars on Tracks

Old NEW Boston

Bob

Rich M

This is such a great thread......truly awesome shots.

Michiel.....whether it be the Merrill.....or the NEX...or the GXR, your Cuba shots are wonderful.

Bob.....nice train shot (among others). The Ute....Zion looks great....as does northern AZ.

Thanks for sharing

R

docmoore

Thank you, Kyndel.
Default at 0 is still applying sharpening as mentioned....it is not clear just how to get an unsharpened picture out of SPP -1 to -2 ...

The DP2 Merrill is an unforgiving camera with regards to portraits and lighting...it is however one that can give you a wonderful start to develop a portrait.

Please forgive the following...a small attempt to brush out some of the overly acute or hyperacute depiction of your friend. Most women over the age of 10 will not be pleased with this and it would behoove us to learn restraint in showing them at less than their best.

Again a poor quick edit of your photo...I will pull it if you wish...

DP2M Portrait at Sunset with EDITS

I am sure that the DP3 Merrill will be even more tuned to portraiture due to the somewhat longer focal length of the lens.

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Well back to my usual subject matter with the following:

DP2 Merrill Proxel X3F Output

Train House Porch

Rail Bridge Graffiti

Fence Post

Bob

Rich M

Default at 0 is still applying sharpening as mentioned....it is not clear just how to get an unsharpened picture out of SPP -1 to -2 ...

The DP2 Merrill is an unforgiving camera with regards to portraits and lighting...it is however one that can give you a wonderful start to develop a portrait.

Please forgive the following...a small attempt to brush out some of the overly acute or hyperacute depiction of your friend. Most women over the age of 10 will not be pleased with this and it would behoove us to learn restraint in showing them at less than their best.

I am sure that the DP3 Merrill will be even more tuned to portraiture due to the somewhat longer focal length of the lens.

Regards,

Bob
Bob.....I agree with you. I would rather have more detail than less. The possibilities in post are endless.

R

Rich M

An alpine lake in the Andes in southern Chile.

Like many of the Merrill shots, it doesn't quite come off on the small screen.....but the print looked fine.

R