The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

retow

I`m not trying to steal this thread but as several forum members now seem to have more than one DP Merrill are others having any thoughts about the SD1M with the new Sigma art lenses? A SD1M with the new 18-35mm f1.8 and 30mm f1.4 art could be quite something. Weight wise, a SD1M with the fast zoom is probably 1.5 kg as compared to about 1.2 kg for three DPMs with a couple of spare batteries, but no other accessories such as OVFs.

Michiel Schierbeek

It is something I take in serious consideration but mirrorless Full frame is also on the horizon and that is also very tempting as well for me. So, no dicision yet for me.

jasonblake

Hello all,

Well Iv'e been following this and other threads with much much interest and my DP1 Merrill just arrived! Yeah!!! I have one issue though and no amount of "googling" has helped me. It's in relation to the firmware upgrade, its supposed to be so easy isn't it??

I am unable to access the "root directory" of my SD card for the update via my camera connection to the computer (Mac). So my solution this morning was to to buy a card reader but still unable to access it. I can copy the file onto the card but it is not recognized by the camera as it's not sitting in the correct directory.

So please, can anyone help. I'm quite computer savvy on the whole but this one has blasted me to Northren Australia. I decided to post in the DP2 thread as there are so many competent technicians here.

Many thanks and I will be posting soon!!!

Jason

mezzoduomo

Hello all,

Well Iv'e been following this and other threads with much much interest and my DP1 Merrill just arrived! Yeah!!! I have one issue though and no amount of "googling" has helped me. It's in relation to the firmware upgrade, its supposed to be so easy isn't it??

I am unable to access the "root directory" of my SD card for the update via my camera connection to the computer (Mac). So my solution this morning was to to buy a card reader but still unable to access it. I can copy the file onto the card but it is not recognized by the camera as it's not sitting in the correct directory.

So please, can anyone help. I'm quite computer savvy on the whole but this one has blasted me to Northren Australia. I decided to post in the DP2 thread as there are so many competent technicians here.

Jason
I'm no expert, but I've had no troubles with all this firmware nonsense.

I'd take a few frames on your card, make sure you can process the files in SPP.....then FORMAT in the camera. Then I'd try to connect the camera to the computer with the USB cord, leaving the card in the camera.

Just an idea....

snowy

Hello all,

Jason
Just for avoidance of doubt (and I apologise if this is obvious) but the root directory is just the top-level directory of the memory card. So if you format it in the camera, then put it into your computer and open it, you just need to copy the firmware file to that first folder that opens up. If I recall correctly, the firmware download needs to be unzipped first, and in the case of the DP2M it produced two binary files (.bin extension), both of which need to be copied to the memory card. Then you follow the instructions to get the camera to load each file in turn. Good luck!

jasonblake

Thanks Mezzoduomo and Snowy for the feedback. I have tried the suggestions but still no luck. I have formatted the memory card several times. The issue is that I can see the icon on the desktop but have no access it seems to get into the "root directory." I have done exactly as the instructions say and have downloaded the first file to the "Sigma DP1" but it does not show as present on the card when I check the firmware link on the camera. I will sort it out, probably just need a bit more tweaking. Thanks again!

Malina DZ

jasonblake, if you've got a card reader, try to format a card in the camera first, then insert the SD card into the card reader and copy both FW update files (unzipped) to the root directory. Put the card back into the camera and go to the "Meny -> Firmware Update". See if the camera detects the update files. Good luck!

Malina DZ

are others having any thoughts about the SD1M with the new Sigma art lenses?
I have only DP2M and did think of SD1M first before the purchase of the DP2 Merrill. Three DP M cameras are more compact, lighter, cheaper than SD1 with matching FD lenses. They allow to shoot when other camera buffer is full, no hassle with lens changes, have perfect lens to sensor combination. When OVF is preferred, I'm sure one already has a DSLR to use in those conditions. SD1M is outdated for its current price.

W.Utsch

The gardens of Schwetzingen
Part 4:

The Temple of Merkur:
A Belvedere build in 1787 as a ruin, a citation of antique temples

The Temple of Apollon:
You have to go through dark and wet grottos to climb up to the temple and reach the "sun"

Boar and hound, the temple of Apollon in the background, a fountain with haunting scenes

scho

Sugar maple leaves emerging. Handheld with AML-2 close-up lens attached.

..and now they are fully emerged, with flowers and leaves. Pollen is blowing around and soon we will have the dreaded little helicopter seeds spinning down all over the lawn, garden, patio, etc. High maintenance trees for sure, but I love the sweet syrup, summer shade, and beautiful fall color.

DP2M+AML-2 focus stack using CS6 Photomerge from 6 shots

Dimych

i cannot post here now.
I have tried today to post landscape picture and getting "You message will be posted after moderator review...".
It was not so yesterday.
Anybody knows what is it?
Are you really waiting several days before message published?
I am against stupid censorship in such form and if it is a rule here i will quit

Dimych

This sounds new, as I have not encountered it before...
Some change to policy?
I have no idea... only registered for a few days here.
I see i can post reply but not a new message to thread anymore :(

In my posting rules stated:
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts