The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

tray271

here is a pic my partner took the other day ...the detail is amzing and this was hand held ..f8 iso 100

thanks louisB appreciate it

tried to show pic on here via flickr link but no luck for some reason

Last edited:

biglouis

here is a pic my partner took the other day ...the detail is amzing and this was hand held ..f8 iso 100

liverpool today | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

tried to show pic on here via flickr link but no luck for some reason
Tray

Flickr keep on changing the rules.

Go to Flickr and open the picture, select 'show all sizes', select your size and then right click on the 'download picture' link and choose 'Copy link address'. Then here click on the picture icon and when the dialogue box opens paste the address into the open link window here at the board. Should work.

LouisB

stevew50

"Took me some time to find the right crops for these.
Michiel"

I find #135 especially intriguing, looking through the window at flowers on a table and out the back window at another colorful street scene! I feel like it is unending! Is there another window looking out to another scene???? Reminds me of shooting into a multifaceted mirror in an amusement park, seeing my reflection hundreds of times, very strange.

Steve

peterb

After a lot of fiddling (and with LouisB's and mezzoduomo's help) I finally figured out how to post images that aren't these 'clickable' thumbnails.

Now I hope you like what I see...in DP2M-vision.

The first new shot is Front Yard Faerie Land.

(P.S. I deleted all previous uploads on this thread. Sorry.)

biglouis

City skyline diptych - taken from 'Suicide Bridge' in Highgate overlooking Archway, London, England.

I had both my DP2M (left) and RX-1 (right) on me and was not aiming to take comparison shots. However I ended up with these two.

These are both 6x4 slices of approximately 1/3 of the frames. If you really want to pixel peep and see the comparison then the full size 8MB file is here.

Personally, I prefer the colour and texture of the RX-1 which is pretty much 'out of the camera'. I had to work hard to get colour and contrast into the DP2M picture. Having said that at 100% the Sigma frame is a thing of beauty and something to marvel at.

Last edited:

biglouis

Mr Utch - Leica Mayfair is one shop I will not be visiting again since acquiring my brace of Sigma and Sony cameras!

Nice captures, though.

LouisB

peterb

Louis, your side-by-side comparison is fascinating. IMHO, upon close inspection the 24 MP RX1 image while certainly sharp as all get out appears to be slightly bested by the 15 MP Foveon file. But....the colors on the RX1 are indeed superb. And the texture (for me) seems to have a definite romantic film quality to it--something I've concluded after having seen so many fine samples posted here, flickr and other image discussion venues. In fact, as much as I love the DP2M, lately I've been wondering if the Foveon sensor creates images that are TOO sharp. While the ever-so-slightly-soft (but still very very sharp) images created by the Sony sensor/Zeiss optic combination with its 24 MPs seem to trade clinical sharpness for a little more soul. (Although I suppose with more practice I could coax more soul out of my DP2M shots. A LOT of practice. :) )

biglouis

Peter

This is my conclusion as well. Although I'd rationalise it somewhat differently. I finally fell out of my love of my Leica M8 when I started using MF film. MF film had a feeling and a detail which the M8 could not match. That said my M8 produced the best, sharpest, most colourful pictures of any digital camera at the time it was made (imho). When I look at these two images - the RX-1 reminds me of the beauty of Leica digital photography but the DP2M image looks much more like my MF film photography. If I were printing 30x20 I'd definitely choose the DP2M image and I suspect the viewers would be amazed at the crispness and detail. If I was posting to the web or printing slightly smaller then I'd choose the RX-1. I am (of course) amazingly fortunate to be able to have that choice but push come to shove I'd still choose the DP2M over the RX-1.

LouisB

W.Utsch

Want to add a little to the discussion.
As you, i also have both the Merrill's 2 + 3 and the RX1. This Combo, i think, is very hard to beat. The RX 1 shines at the weaker sides of the Merrill's - high ISO ...etc, you know..... and it complements the set to the wider side.
Sharpness, resolution and (special) character of the files, well, the RX1 cannot reach the DPM's. You can tell that at looking at Louis files above.

Regarding Leica, for me it is the same story like Louis's.
Loved for long my M8 with the Leica lenses. It is still a great Cam and i wont sell it nor the lenses. The new M? Well, what i have seen so far i am not very convinced: Bought the RX1!

As an other example we stay in London.

This time the "View from the Shard".

The image is in now way great (artistic), but....the conditions up there where very bad: Rain, clouds, reflections in the dirty windows...., it is almost incredible what the DP2M got out of this scene. With a little PP (increase the contrast, adjust the exposure, a little more saturation, NO sharpening) the detail is amazing. I am quite sure, that neither the Sony, nor the Leica would be able to produce a file like this under these conditions.

Printed it looks just superb. Be sure to look at 100% via Flickr!

peterb

W. Utsch,

Ever since I got my DP2M I've gotten the feeling that while it would still be the first camera I'd grab I definitely need a camera whose strengths complement the DP2M's weaknesses--namely low (or lower) light situations or all those times when a quiet, unobtrusive cam with lower noise at higher iSO needs would come in handy.

But not just any camera...one that would certainly be in the same league as what I've come to expect from (or spoiled by?) my little Merrill. As a result I'm considering either the RX1 which by all accounts is technically the most amazing compact out there at the moment (as you and LouisB are certainly enjoying), or, its somewhat more affordable (and in my estimation slightly more capable VF-wise) challenger, the new Fuji X100s, whose latest iteration seems to have solved most of the objections found in its initial installment. As a backup camera! (Yeah..you read that right. The DP would be a first choice when conditions are optimal.)

mezzoduomo

W. Utsch,

As a result I'm considering either the RX1 which by all accounts is technically the most amazing compact out there at the moment (as you and LouisB are certainly enjoying), or, its somewhat more affordable (and in my estimation slightly more capable VF-wise) challenger, the new Fuji X100s whose latest iteration seems to have solved most of the objections found in its initial installment......
I went through this thought and selection process, and settled on the 'initial installment' (X100) as my solution to these issues. I got it 'pre-owned' and it suits my budget. I find it to be a worthy compliment to my Merrills (1 & 2).

W.Utsch

peterb:

I agree 100%, i considered the Fuji 100s as well, but then i got an offer for the RX1 i could not resist. :)
So, i think the 100S would do the job really good.