The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Paul H

Not sure where you are Paul. These gardens where the result of the 19th century garden explorers bringing exotic plants back to the UK from around the world.
I'm in New Zealand - those look like our native ferns, and the tree off to the left looks like a cabbage tree. AIUI, cabbage trees were quite a popular import into the UK in the late 1800's.

The two shots above come from my new DP2. Only had it about two weeks.

I have the EM5 and the Ricoh GR - both of which I love and I never imagined I'd better them.

Then the Sigmas dropped to under £350 and I was tempted - and satisfied.

I picked these two shots as each does something I'd never had achieved with the Oly and the Ricoh.

In the first shot the RAW file shows quite a dark face and an overblown flower picture. It is astonishing how the 'fill' slider brings up the detail in the face and pulls back the painting. I'd never get that level of recovery from the Oly/Ricoh RAWs.

In the second shot I liked the way the 'fill' slider recovered the texture of the tree bark and how the sensor managed to record the blades of grass. I hope I will never become a pixel peeper again - but it is lovely to be reminded about the definition of my old FF DSLR kit.

Yes, these DP Merrills are a handful to use. Slow autofocus. Slow card writing. Madly battery hungry (I now carry enough spares to start a motor car!).

Most of the time I will surely be using the Oly/Ricoh kit. But it is re-assuring to know that when time and conditions are right I have a DP? that will give me a medium format image.

I say DP? as I lashed out and bought all three - for only a few pounds more than the Oly 12-40 that is on my wish list as well.

These two shots come straight from my web site and are about 1920 pixels wide. If others on this forum find that too wide I'll resize them a bit in future - but I'd prefer not to then I can post more shots as time goes by.

StuartH

Just playing with the dp2m and nd filter again..lighting was all over with heavy cloud then sun etc lol..The river was also running fast and moving my little monopod about so not the sharpest pics.Cant wait to get my redsnapper next week for some stability.

untitled-0177 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

untitled-0165 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

untitled-0166 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

Wish I could have got lower but my backside was already touching water and huge branch in the way lol

untitled-0171 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

untitled-0179 by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

nikoniko1985

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of buying a Sigma DP2 merrill, even though Sigma DP2 Quattro was announced.
Since I have seen many beautiful pictures in this forum, the quality of pictures is self explanatory.
My question is how you guys manage with the battery issue? I heard the camera has very short battery power that it can only take 100 or so pictures for one battery. That's why you get two batteries, when you guy the camera.
I might not mind buying extra batteries for future needs, but I just want to be informed about it beforehand.

Thanks!

In the UK they cost 5.25 UKP.

I just buy lots of them. I have all three DPs and a Ricoh GR so they are always good to have around.

Tony

darr

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of buying a Sigma DP2 merrill, even though Sigma DP2 Quattro was announced.
Since I have seen many beautiful pictures in this forum, the quality of pictures is self explanatory.
My question is how you guys manage with the battery issue? I heard the camera has very short battery power that it can only take 100 or so pictures for one battery. That's why you get two batteries, when you guy the camera.
I might not mind buying extra batteries for future needs, but I just want to be informed about it beforehand.

Thanks!
I have all three DPM cameras, so I have six batteries. I think battery usage depends on your shooting habits or style. I have walked around with the different cameras and only drained a battery down needing immediate replacement, once. I also tend to shoot with a tripod and take three bracketed shots, and have not had a big problem with the batteries draining too low. It does take a bit longer than normal for the processor to complete their job, but it is worth all the trouble for me because of the results. Your milage will vary. :lecture:

nikoniko1985

As I have read blogs and news on Quattro, they are trying to release it before summer. But another guy, who went to CP+, was also told from one the Sigma staff that it could be before "Golden Week," which supposed to be meant the end of April to beginning of May.
So, from May to July, maybe?

About the price, I only saw one source (sorry I don't have a link) guessing around $800.
Many Japanese are also hoping and guessing to be around this price. But no guarantee of course.

I though I was going to buy DP2M, but as I have been researching on both M and Q, I am so tempted to go for Q.

UHDR

i was faced with the same question few weeks ago when i tried to decide to buy the M or Q, but at then end i went with the M for a few reasons:

1, for DP2, the M body will be far more flexible and easier to use on the move.

2, the M is now half price everywhere. we also have indication from interviews that the Q will probably the same price as the original M launch price. i think it will be too hopeful to think the Q will deliver twice as much performance (i might be wrong)

3, and ...er...most importantly.... i dont want to wait. :D

PS: for DP1, because of the new lens design and it will be a wide angle (i.e can afford to take more time per shot) i will wait for the Q.

gnuyork

Nikoniko, the DP2 M comes with two batteries. Mine is still fairly new, and I've only been out a few times with it, but I have drained a battery only once so far, and it turns out I foolishly left the spare battery in the car - oh well.

Also, I have absolutely no idea about the Q price, but if I had to guess, $800 seems low. The Merrills were going for around $900 (and still at B&H the last time I checked). Seems like the Q would be at least that or more.

johnnygoesdigital

darr,

You have such a wonderful talent, i'm not surprised that you quote Georgia O'keeffe.

The Sigma's are such amazing little cameras with MFD quality, that the slower approach seems fitting.