The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Still getting used to my Dp2M. Amazing in many respects. First camera (aside from the Leica Monochrom) that makes me really enjoy the output of non-film photography.

Anyhow, 2 questions that hopefully will improve my enjoyment more if I can figure it out:

(i) Light green cast in many DP2M images. The light green is across the whole frame. Makes caucasian skin tones look wrong in particular. I use a lens hood. I use AWB, and Neutral color mode. Drives me nuts, given it subtly impacts so many images. Try to color correct the TIFs in Photoshop Elements (+5 red, -10 green/yellow), but this is laborious on many many pictures and the final result is not always great. Is there an "in-camera" solution to this?

2) How to import images from SD card into SPP? I use a latest iMac. I've set up a single (and hence getting large) folder in SPP for all the Raws. I drag and drop the Raws from the SD card into this SPP folder -- the problem is that the files are so big that drag and drop seems to stall the computer into a near-state of collapse if I drag more than 10 images over in one go (and even that takes, say, 20 seconds a go). Is there another way to import these Raws from the SD card into SPP in one easier go?

Thanks for your help!

Tim

(i) Light green cast in many DP2M images. The light green is across the whole frame. Makes caucasian skin tones look wrong in particular. I use a lens hood. I use AWB, and Neutral color mode. Drives me nuts, given it subtly impacts so many images. Try to color correct the TIFs in Photoshop Elements (+5 red, -10 green/yellow), but this is laborious on many many pictures and the final result is not always great. Is there an "in-camera" solution to this?
I get this green cast as well. My process is to put all images through Sigma Photo Pro first. Even on Auto it deals with the cast and then I proceed to make tweaks from there. Others may have a better idea.

Malina DZ

I use AWB, and Neutral color mode.
I use AWB, Standard color mode, and try not to exceed iso200 for accurate color in skin tones.

How to import images from SD card into SPP?
Don't open SPP before you finish coping files from SD card to your hard drive.
I try to organize RAW files in a similar fashion to LR, under a date. SPP opens the last folder you were in last time, and the less images it contains the faster SPP load them up.

I wouldn't reply solely on a DP M for an important portrait work. Bayer sensor camera provides a more predictable results in terms of color accuracy. But if you nail the camera settings and lighting the subject properly, the results are outstanding.

Just to clarify on my prior post and question ..... I process my files in SPP, typically just to take the sharpening down to -2, and hence (due to my very limited adjustments) the exported TIFs still have the green cast. So presumably there is something I could learn to use in SPP to remove this cast (the color "wheel", maybe, which I never use because I don't know how it really works ..... or perhaps I can change WB to something in SPP?) ..... Or, ideally, is there something that I can do "in camera" via the camera's settings as an alternative?

Malina DZ

Unfortunately, there's no one-click solution in SPP for green/magenta color cast. You'll have to deal with the artifacts in another image editor.
Advise for in-camera settings: meter for the skin to avoid pulling shadows in post. DP M does not give you any margin for exposure error. It's easy to blow highlights beyond recovery and pain to pull shadow detail with accurate color.
Post your shots with green color cast, I wonder how severe it is.

Malina DZ

I was going through my archive of raw DP2M shots and noticed that severe banding on some of the shots that had this defect is gone! Currently have SPP v5.5.2

digi2ap

There are two different things in discussion here - what can be described as the green colour cast and separately the magenta and green colour noise. The former seems to me a problem that mainly becomes noticeable in the way it renders skin tone but it is across the whole image. The latter colour noise tends to only show up in the under exposed parts of the image. Neither tends to affect my images much but if I used the DP2M for a wider range of photography it might more so.

adsf

Banding can also appear. I have it on some images with high difference in brightness (very dark and very bright areas)

Malina DZ

Banding can also appear. I have it on some images with high difference in brightness (very dark and very bright areas)
Have you tried processing raw files with a recent version of SPP? Here is the difference v5.5.2 makes compared to v5.5.0

View attachment 81134 View attachment 81135

I've posted this image before in one of the threads and tried different apps to fix banding, but nothing really solved it as well as SPP does since v5.5.2+
Hope, the green/cyan color cast and the magenta and green color noise are going to vanish completely with the help of future SPP improvements.

adsf

Ok, thats WAY better. I use the new version but never checked if any change happened there. Seems like it was a software issue.