The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Sunset over Downderry, Cornwall - a 10 shot two row panorama with the DP2M.

This was taken before the shot above when the colours erred towards yellow rather than red.

Quentin_Bargate

That final file must not be small! :toocool:

Q: curious as to what format you keep the final stitch? jpg/tiff/jpg2000/other ?
Hi Tim,

16 bit Tiff.... Yes its fairly large. There is some redundancy of course, but at 300ppi, its about 37 inches x 25 inches. But thats a Foveon 37 x 25.

The pano kit I use is small and light - Dp2m or DP3m, Fanotec pano head in a soft case, small lightweight tripod. I can stuff all of it except the tripod in my Domke photo vest and sling the little tripod in its soft case over my shoulder and walk around without a care in the world. Of course, photographers with "proper" cameras and huge lenses brush by assuming Im not serious :D

Quentin_Bargate

That is superb. You've got me inspired to try some double row panas.

I guess you've got to work quite fast in that quickly changing light.

Thank you

Steve
Hi Steve

Thanks for your kind comments. And yes you do have to work quickly, particularly as any panoramic stitching software will try and add anchor points to moving clouds! However, once set up with a pano head using its click stops, its relatively quick. I use the 2 sec self timer on the DP2M to prevent camera shake.

Quentin_Bargate

Before the sunset I spent a few hours in Polperro, on the southern Cornish coast. This is a two row 14 shot pano image, slightly cropped, also with the DP2M.

furtle

Hi Steve

Thanks for your kind comments. And yes you do have to work quickly, particularly as any panoramic stitching software will try and add anchor points to moving clouds! However, once set up with a pano head using its click stops, its relatively quick. I use the 2 sec self timer on the DP2M to prevent camera shake.
I had to look up where Downderry was. And to think I lived in west Cornwall for 15 years in a place called Godolphin!

I've started using the Nodal Ninja II and an Eze Leveler (all from Fleabay :D) on a light weight tripod. It certainly makes the panos more accurate with less messing about later. I tend to use the DP3M for panos

I can't wait to try out some double stackers. Just need the right opportunity.

Thanks for posting your photos.

furtle

Quentin, when stitching the double row panos, how do you load the individual photos into the programme?

I use PTgui if that is of help.

Quentin_Bargate

Furtle, Foveon

I also use PTGui. Just load them all as usual in one go. The programme should align them for you.

Actually the boats were almost stationary. It was approaching low tide and I believe they were resting on the bottom.