The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Tim

Perhaps you are correct. It could just be the Australian distributor not restocking but I did ask if I could get a DP1M special order and the answer was no, so I assumed there are none in Japan. Perhaps Sigma USA has a warehouse full? Who knows.

apsphoto

Tim,

I know you are not is the US but B&H has them in stock, new ones. Don't know how horrible the taxes are on import. But there maybe other venues.. Hope you do find one.

Alan

foveon

sorry to seem unpolite, but this is maybe a nice snapshot but a rather poor example of food fotography.
Some month ago I helped a friend lightning some shootings for a book about vegan cooking. He is an experienced foot shooter and I learned how carefully he workes, food is very critical to light, to focus and to compose; subconscious is very sensitive if it comes to food.
In your example the focus is somewhere, the leaf on the right is sharp, important parts aren`t. The shadows are too dark and there is this large dark area between the left filet and this dontknowwhatitis, you wouldn`t buy a book about cooking with such a cover picture.
To soften your anger I gave you a like, but if you are interested look at different books to see the difference between good and not so good food fotography.

PS: what you get very well is color, also a very imortant part of food fotogrphy.

Quentin_Bargate

Correct, but its not bad for a shot taken of my lunch in a restaurant with a compact camera, is it? :)

I do a certain amount of studio based food photography, my dear Foveon. My most popular food shot has sold many times.

This is not that shot, but I quite like it, given I had no control over lighting or food dressing and it was taken with a DP2M.

Edit: it tasted delicious too :p !

Last edited:

Andrew Lamb

Correct, but its not bad for a shot taken of my lunch in a restaurant with a compact camera, is it? :)

I do a certain amount of studio based food photography, my dear Foveon. My most popular food shot has sold many times.

This is not that shot, but I quite like it, given I had no control over lighting or food dressing and it was taken with a DP2M.

Edit: it tasted delicious too :p !
For a quick shot in a restaurant, it's impressive stuff. The ambient light was pretty helpful.

Quentin_Bargate

Andrew, thanks, and that's was why I took the shot. I made some amends in Photoshop ( lightening the background). Heck of a good lunch - it was in City Social on the 24th floor of Tower 42, London, a window seat with light streaming in. Worth a try if you have not been there!

Andrew Lamb

I don't really have need to go into the City. The reviews have been good, though.

I've visited the new summer pavilion at the Serpentine Gallery. I think it's been designed just for photographers. It's a lot of fun.

biglouis

^^^^ Fabulous MG shots! ^^^^

And looking at the engine something I could actually work on. Unlike today's power units where I lift the bonnet, take one look and close it again knowing I couldn't begin to figure out what is what!

LouisB

adrewdecourcy

Excellent Louis. Knew the bridge well when I lived in Bartholomew road, not far from this spot. Long time ago though and am sure the Bridge was not as colourful then.

furtle

I did a few more of the MGB Roadster 1963 model. The Merrill delivers forensic levels of detail.

Last edited: