The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

darr

this is near the border triangle Hungary, Slovenia and Austria

PS: what do you mean with "sign". The cruzifix? Here around are a lot of them and on special days people go there to pray.
Sorry, I did not mean any disrespect. I did not recognize it as a crucifix as Western crucifixes usually have a three-dimensional corpus. I like your photo a lot.

Kind regards,
Darr

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
this is near the border triangle Hungary, Slovenia and Austria

PS: what do you mean with "sign". The cruzifix? Here around are a lot of them and on special days people go there to pray.
Why there ... historical or church related significance?

Would love to see a few of those signs here in the US ... with the current administration not likely.

Compelling shot ... bleak and isolated ... would love to see it in person.

Regards,

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sorry, I did not mean any disrespect. I did not recognize it as a crucifix as Western crucifixes usually have a three-dimensional corpus. I like your photo a lot.

Kind regards,
Darr
Eastern Orthodox icons are fairly 2 dimensional and more pictorial than detailed ... assume this is within that framework.

Bob

foveon

@Darr:Didnt find any disrespect in your words^^
Thanks for your kind words about the foto, I looked at your website and you are a real champ, so your word makes me proud.^^

@docmoore: here is a strictly catholic country, and the dimensions of the corpus are a matter of money, 2 are cheaper than 3.^^

in this foto the corpus is 3D
I cannot say a general reason why this cruzifixes are placed and where they are, some are reminiscent to a wonder that has occured there, some to people who died there, some nobody remembers why they are there. Most of them are old, the newer ones are on places where people died in traffic accidents.

Kind regards
Martin

PS: here is a 100% crop, its a liitle harsh but shows the 3D of the corpus.

Attachments

furtle

I agree. I'd be happy with the Merrill sensor as a compact system camera as long as they ensure that there is a 21mm/4 35/2 50/1.5 and 90/2.8 in equivalent 35mm focal lengths.

I also agree. I never sharpen my DPxM photographs. But looking back at my recent postings I should have perhaps reduced the raw sharpening further.

BTW, for a time I was using only my Ricoh GR and DP2M. They actually make a nice walkabout set.

LouisB

LouisB
After reading your comment, I ran the file through SPP again and turned sharpening to -2.0 and added a touch of infill light. I then set sharpening in LR at zero and set Noise Reduction to 25 before exporting to a jpeg which is here. The jpeg is picked up off my Flickr page, so, I've no idea what sort of mangling has gone on. But you should be able to enlarge the pic a bit.

The shot was taken at 1/60s f2.8 iso 200 and AE -0.1 I tend to always take three bracketed shots at 0.7, 0 and -0.7 AE and set the camera up for -0.3AE, hence I get the -1.0AE. I do this because it is too easy to blow the highlights, even on a Merrill. My DP0 Quattro is even more sensitive and I've often found the best pics are -1.7 AE!!

I think I focused on the back window but it could have been the books in front of the window. At f2.8 the foreground was always going to be OOF.

Daunt Books, Marylebone High Street, London

https://flic.kr/p/Drh9xfhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/80621138@N05/

Last edited:

Stoneage

The shot was taken at 1/60s f2.8 iso 200 and AE -0.1 I tend to always take three bracketed shots at 0.7, 0 and -0.7 AE and set the camera up for -0.3AE, hence I get the -1.0AE. I do this because it is too easy to blow the highlights, even on a Merrill.
That's a bit surprising for me, ISO 200 should give you already "a ton" of highlight recovery.
I often use ISO 100 and +0.3 EV with the the DP2m, depending on the situation of course.

furtle

That's a bit surprising for me, ISO 200 should give you already "a ton" of highlight recovery.
I often use ISO 100 and +0.3 EV with the the DP2m, depending on the situation of course.
The other bracketed shots looked ok without highlight problems and they seemed to process ok in SPP. The reason I used the -0.7 AE pic is because there was bright light coming through the end window and tons of very bright spots lights pointing at some shiny books that I though may be a problem.

I only used iso 200 to enable me to get a sensible shutter speed. Really, I don't understand how increasing the iso helps with highlight recovery. I know on my Sony A7S it is supposed to shoot at iso 64 but I never use it, instead I use iso 100 as the photos don't look any different.

Stoneage

The other bracketed shots looked ok without highlight problems and they seemed to process ok in SPP. The reason I used the -0.7 AE pic is because there was bright light coming through the end window and tons of very bright spots lights pointing at some shiny books that I though may be a problem.

I only used iso 200 to enable me to get a sensible shutter speed. Really, I don't understand how increasing the iso helps with highlight recovery. I know on my Sony A7S it is supposed to shoot at iso 64 but I never use it, instead I use iso 100 as the photos don't look any different.
Yes, the A7s is so clean, i guess the difference between ISO 64 and ISO 100 is vanishingly small. With the Merrills it's more visible.
ISO 200 has more highlight recovery because it's simply an underexposed ISO 100 shot (by 1 stop). Same with ISO 400 (in fact underexposed ISO 100 by 2 stops) so you will have
enormous highlight recovery at the expense of shadows.

biglouis

After reading your comment, I ran the file through SPP again and turned sharpening to -2.0 and added a touch of infill light. I then set sharpening in LR at zero and set Noise Reduction to 25 before exporting to a jpeg which is here. The jpeg is picked up off my Flickr page, so, I've no idea what sort of mangling has gone on. But you should be able to enlarge the pic a bit.

The shot was taken at 1/60s f2.8 iso 200 and AE -0.1 I tend to always take three bracketed shots at 0.7, 0 and -0.7 AE and set the camera up for -0.3AE, hence I get the -1.0AE. I do this because it is too easy to blow the highlights, even on a Merrill. My DP0 Quattro is even more sensitive and I've often found the best pics are -1.7 AE!!

I think I focused on the back window but it could have been the books in front of the window. At f2.8 the foreground was always going to be OOF.

Well worth looking at the full sized image at Flickr. I really like the 'Coffee' wrapping paper (doncha just love the detail in DP shots?).

Taxing a Jet
f/5.6, 0.6s, iso100

My DP went to Sigma for shutter diagnostics today and I miss it already.
A bit worrying. I can only see one pilot in the cockpit. (doncha just love the detail in DP shots?).

LouisB

- - - Updated - - -

From a walk along the canal today. This was like a moment form 'The Birds', only I couldn't see what had got them so excited.

This is a scene from a street on the walk back home.

Malina DZ

A bit worrying. I can only see one pilot in the cockpit. (doncha just love the detail in DP shots?).
Louis, nothing to worry about, that is a maintenance guy doing his routine.
DPM's detail never stops to amaze me.
I wonder what Sigma brings next for DP series since Q went on sale and Photokina is coming up this year?

biglouis

Louis, nothing to worry about, that is a maintenance guy doing his routine.
DPM's detail never stops to amaze me.
I wonder what Sigma brings next for DP series since Q went on sale and Photokina is coming up this year?
Sadly, I think it will only be a Quattro-ised SD and not a DP with a better sensor.

Still we can but hope...

LouisB

rdubois

it could be the same sensor, I just wish a tiltable screen and working live view.^^
Not having a quatro or having followed discussions around it I assume that the benefit is better ISO? Does it lose much charachter in other areas?

This week I was lucky enough to have been working in the Black Sea area of Turkey some 400 km northwest of Ankara. While there we spent the night at Safranbolu, a town declared a world heritage site in 1994. Very photogenic in the fog and poor visibility. Yet again I was astounded by the amazing capabilities of this sensor for black and white images:

TKBW_SDI0187Safranbolu.jpg

TKBW_SDI0231Safranbolu.jpg

TKBW_SDI0250Safranbolu.jpg

As to colour: Yes it does have a different signature but in my opinion this is neither a necessarily good or bad thing. It renders differently and in the end it comes down to taste. You either like it or not.

For those interested here are some more B&W examples:

http://dubois.photodeck.com/-/galleries/turkey-jan-2016/safranbolu-bw

By the way, these were all taken with an SD1 but as the sensor is the same I thought the images might add something to this excellent thread. Apologies if I've broken the rules.

rdubois

I took my DP2 with me while skiing today. The sharpness of the lens is amazing and the camera is so small I almost forget I had it with me. However, I still have trouble with the color. Here is a B&W version as the color image has both green and magenta colored snow.

Hi Tjanik: Are you post processing in LR? If so, have you tried to export to jpg directly from SPP. I find the conversion very different when compared to a re-export via DXO or LR. As an example direct from SPP, sharpnes -0.8, saturation +0.8 all else on default:

TKCOL_SDI0186.jpg

bensonga

Here area a couple of the images I shot today with the DP2M along the Ship Creek industrial area in Anchorage. I hadn't used my DP Merrills since a trip to Death Valley National Park in March 2015. Forgot how much I enjoy them. On the DV trip, I was always shooting with the cameras on a tripod with manual focus and manual exposure modes, so it's a very different experience shooting with them handheld and using AF and AV modes.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

foveon

@darr & docmoore

Here is one that seems more important, one day before ascension of christ people from two villages meet there for a holy mass.
Nobody knows why, I have asked the owner.

Attachments

biglouis

^^^^ I really like this ^^^^

Not for any religious reason but just because it has great atmosphere and composition.

LouisB

gnuyork

I think your first version is nicer - more mood to the image.