The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Florin75

nice shots Florin, and good examples, the first one with the mine car centered is a little boring, second with mine car off center has much more suspense.
This is what I meant in the reply to your last pic, center often is a little boring.^^
Thank you for your comment!
I try to always follow the rules of composition but for the image with the car centered I didn't had too many options. Anyway it is a crop. I also croped the image with the car off-center, but there is nothing to drive the look towards the subject, so I left it centered.

Attachments

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I miss mine; and the images here are a testament its photographic prowess, but no finder meant that the experience of making an image was never intimate. 45mm EFOV is my favourite walk-around FL, but I must have a finder. If Sigma ever re-release this sensor–lens combo with a finder, I will buy it no matter how expensive.

Florin75

I miss mine; and the images here are a testament its photographic prowess, but no finder meant that the experience of making an image was never intimate. 45mm EFOV is my favourite walk-around FL, but I must have a finder. If Sigma ever re-release this sensor–lens combo with a finder, I will buy it no matter how expensive.
My thoughts exactly! I also miss a viewfinder!
Have you tried the dedicated Sigma viewfinder? I know it is expensive but it may worth for some. Or you can try another brand.

Malina DZ

"Oh, boy"
f/6.3, 1/1600s
Testing a wireless flash trigger at high speed :)
Amazing what a leaf shutter allows to do with a single speedlight in a broad daylight of Floridian summer.

scho

Re-processing some of my old DP2M files and this one with the pale yellow leaves caught my eye. I missed my Dp2M so just ordered a used one to get back into merrill style shooting again.

Malina DZ

...I missed my Dp2M so just ordered a used one to get back into merrill style shooting again.
Welcome back Carl! I'm also reviewing my archives, the files I shot alongside Sony a850, and discover how much highlight headroom X3F files have! Where a850 sensor clips highlights beyond recovery in RAW, SPP is able to restore not only luma detail, but color as well in areas appearing blown, at iso100! I'm also pleasantly surprised how much abuse can foveon blue channel take compared to Bayer before noise patterns become evident.

Here is an example of color channels clipping and attempt to restore canal color and detail:

Sony a850 (click img for full res)

DP2M (click img for full res)

scho

My like new condition used DP2M arrived today and I took a few test shots around the house. Working fine and looking forward to getting out to do some more DP2M shooting.

scho

A long exposure shot of a fruit bowl in weak ambient window light. Raw image processed in SPP 6.4 and tif file exported to LR. Only processing in LR was some vignetting.

scho

My first outing with the new DP2M was cut short by thunderstorms, but managed a few shots in the park first.

scho

I made the mistake of grabbing the DP2M today to take on a walk through a local gorge. Hot with bright blue sky and extremely contrasty lighting in the gorge (at least it was cooler). I didn't salvage any full scenes, even when I shot multi exposures ranging from -2 to +2 for HDR blending. Here is a partial crop from a very narrow section of gorge trail that was shot at -2 EV and then processed for shadow recovery. I usually wait for overcast days to do any gorge shooting but the cool environment in the gorge was just too tempting to ignore.

Last edited: