The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

gnuyork

Who knows? I do know the Merrills and a small tripod + compact pano head are an awesome way to get large format quality that beats any available alternative, up to and including 100mp digital backs, if done correctly. The Manhattan shot was a single row set of 5 stitched images. Because of low distortion and edge to edge sharpness from the lens, stitching is completely invisible. It looks like one shot.
I have not seen files from the 100mp Digital backs, but i have a some files from the 80mp 180IQ and I think the Merrill files kill it (with stitching). Just my opinion of course.

biglouis

You've given me pause for thought, Quentin. I am off to South Korea in the Autumn for my son's wedding. I think I'll take my Ricoh GR and the DP2M. Should give me some interesting coverage.

LouisB

furtle

You've given me pause for thought, Quentin. I am off to South Korea in the Autumn for my son's wedding. I think I'll take my Ricoh GR and the DP2M. Should give me some interesting coverage.

LouisB
Go on! You know you want to take the dp0 Quattro.

furtle

Road to Shutford, Oxfordshire. in the 1700's Shutford was famous for its plush which was used in military uniforms and royal glad rags. Maybe, some judges were partial to plush as well. The place eventually went bust. It's a nice village with ironstone houses and a decent pub. This pic was snapped on the road from the Sibfords to Shutford. I think this is a lonely Ash tree still not tempted to bear this year's leaves. The Ash seems to be the last to leaf. Cracking little camera the DP2M

Last edited:
Went for a walk on the beach going home from work today, lovely weather, apart from a fairly aggressive looking rainshower. Very typical April weather here in Denmark, one minute the sun can be shining and the next minute you get pelted by hails.

6 shots handheld with the DP2M, converted to TIFF in SPP then merged and processed in Lightroom.

Tim

My DP2m stitched shot of Manhattan, taken this February during a very warm and sunny spell, is now a very large print under perspex (printed by Spectrum in England) now hanging in my office reception.

To me this print says Sigma should concentrate on making super portable compact cameras with out and out the best IQ at BASE ISO, and just not bother chasing the high ISO game. This is the strength of the Foveon, IQ like no other.

We will use a tripod or rest on a wall, or maybe do the blue channel BW trick, but give us stunning IQ with an exceptional lens like no other in a super portable package. This is why I have my DP2M.

ggibson

To me this print says Sigma should concentrate on making super portable compact cameras with out and out the best IQ at BASE ISO, and just not bother chasing the high ISO game. This is the strength of the Foveon, IQ like no other.

We will use a tripod or rest on a wall, or maybe do the blue channel BW trick, but give us stunning IQ with an exceptional lens like no other in a super portable package. This is why I have my DP2M.
I agree--focus on their strengths! The camera designs really need some work too. Something the size of the old DP2s would be really exciting. I'm excited to see Sigma updating the Q's with DNG output, but the ergonomics of those cameras make them really difficult to carry along. Between the Q and M sensors, I feel like both have merits but the Q bodies just fail to be practical in any sense.