Site Sponsors

Thread: DP2 /1 Merrill flash options

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DP2 /1 Merrill flash options

Has anyone tried using a Nikon SB800 flash with the Merrills? I don't want to damage the camera but it might be a choice in non-TTL mode. Alternatvely has anyone tried the larger Sigma guns in TTL mode on a DP2 / 1 Merrill?

I will want bounce flash so I am ruling out the small dedicated flash.

Thanks
    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: DP2 /1 Merrill flash options

For any camera, it is far more versatile to use wireless triggers, without worries about trigger voltage and such.

There are quite a few cheap (but very useful) ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin,

I haven't tried guns directly on the flash, but as Vivek points out, wireless triggers work fine (I tried my Alien Bee's cybersync). I only had the DP2M for a little over a week (a loaner from a friend), but I'm missing it. Having shot Sigma cameras for the last 10 years, they've done a very nice job with this DPx series (I hated the first ones).

I'll ask my friend if the EF-610 (or earlier) does TTL. I imagine that your SB800 would work fine in manual mode.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there Vivek and Jim

This is for a particular purpose (I have wireless triggers and a set of studio monocblocs) where on-camera flash is likely to be the only option.

Cheers
    Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the DP2M with my Pocked Wizards ( for Canon in basic trigger mode) wireless and a Nikon SB SB80DX (A mode), works flawless.
    The Nikon flash direct on the cam (A mode) only works with 1/125 and up, dont know why. No harm to the cam!
    I bought a Sigma flash 610 witch works perfect at all speeds.
    Werner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Groovy, Werner
    Quentin Bargate

markw

I've just received my dp2 today, and have been trying to figure out how to use my 580ex on it. I can get it to trip with the flash in M (and TTL mode??) when the camera is in P mode or A mode, but I cannot get it trip when the camera is in M mode, making exposure control very very hard. Anyone have any idea why this may be?

Post Thanks / Like

I have mounted Nikon SB800 on DP2m, both directly and with pocket wizards.

It works well for shutter speed above 1/125 sec. Below 1/125 sec, part of the image will be darken.

One weird thing is: If the shutter is further slower to longer than 1/2 sec. When pressing the shutter of DP2m, it will trigger a sequence of flash on my SB800.

Does anyone have the same experience? And any explanation to it?

JCL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCL212 View Post
    I have mounted Nikon SB800 on DP2m, both directly and with pocket wizards.

It works well for shutter speed above 1/125 sec. Below 1/125 sec, part of the image will be darken.

One weird thing is: If the shutter is further slower to longer than 1/2 sec. When pressing the shutter of DP2m, it will trigger a sequence of flash on my SB800.

Does anyone have the same experience? And any explanation to it?

JCL
    I do not have the Merill yet (have ordered it), but I am very familiar with the Nikon flashes, and it looks like you have set it to FP-mode ? (please look at the flash screen if the letter "FP" is there?

FP (Focal Plane) is a sync mode that let you synchronise flash with higher shutter speeds than the camera's normal maximum flash synchronisation shutter speed (often called “x-sync speed”).

To use this mode on a Nikon DSLR, you need to have a CLS-compatible flash unit connected to the camera's hot-shoe, and you must enable Auto FP on the camera . Without having Auto FP enabled, the camera will not let you set the shutter speed higher than the x-sync speed when you use a CLS-compatible flash. With Auto FP enabled, you can use any shutter speed.

In FP mode the flash will not fire once, but many times at an extremely rapid rate (typically 50 KHz)