The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Past Digital dee'lights ?

D

deeslexia

In the midst of a house extension which I wished to record , this computer died requiring my 7.5 mp Leica Digilux 3 / L1 with a pair of ex-ebay , cheap as chips , Olympus 14-42 / 40-150 lenses to be released from semi-retirement to stretch the capacity of my SD cards from that of the Sony A35 / A290 .

Mercifully , my son in law has revived the still somewhat hesitant Mac Book , but not before I had rediscovered just why I loved these unique , boxy , Leica M8 styled cameras bought pre-loved [ and abandoned LOL ] , way back when .

By adjusting my expectations and techniques [ mainly manual focus and metering ] to overcome some of the frustrating hesitation / shunting of these 1st Generation 4/3rds beauties , I found them a joy to use with analogue style controls , a simple , some might say , basic interface somehow focusing on picture taking .

Even the tiny viewfinder was not as restricted as I had remembered , but I have recently been playing with my 1933 Leica II ....

7.5 mp is perfectly adequate for record shots and , for me seems better than setting a camera capable of greater resolution to a lesser setting .
Another aspect is that I try to avoid cropping , requiring more care in the compostion , just as one needed to do in those Kodachrome days !

Almost a return to those Minolta SRT days .
They won't be mothballed again !

dee

It makes me wonder about ' progress ' .