Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Epson RD-1

Sean_Reid

Re: Epson RD-1

Exactly, the only downside that I've experienced is decreased battery life. Otherwise, its well worth doing.

Cheers,

Sean

espressogeek

I really miss my RD-1. I have really had any issues with mine and the photos were fabulous using a zeiss 35/2. It was also quite the conversation piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, LCT and Sean, for your advice about upgrading my RD1. Iím in the process of doing so now. Iíve also downloaded the latest upgrade to PhotoRaw for the Mac.

The biggest problem now, and one that has me pretty much dead in my tracks, seems to involve getting my analogue mind around digital concepts and developing a decent post-processing workflow ó a problem, one might say, of Mindflow!

What Iím trying to do is to integrate EpsonRaw, Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 all of which Iíve already purchased. Iím using them on a Macintosh G5 PowerPC. My goal is to major in B & W and to minor in work in colour. Here we go:

1 ó You've written, Sean, that you like to use Epsonís PhotoRaw for RD1 files. Iíd be happy to try that out but canít yet figure out HOW! For example, letís say Iíve downloaded files from the RD1 to the desktop and launched PhotoRaw. Can I then batch process those files? If so, do I then:

a.) batch process them through PhotoRaw with minimal processing, doing nothing but converting them to 16bit TIFFs and putting them into their own folder on the desktop so Lightroom or Photoshop can be used to get them ready to print, or

b.) do a lot more processing right there in PhotoRaw so that any adjustments will be made as closely as possible to the originally capture data, thereby degrading the file as little as possible before proceeding as in ďaĒ above?

If ďb,Ē what adjustments in particular? Just anything doable by the batch or must I process files individually even at this early state? Should I adjust just a little bit of what may eventually prove necessary and finish that adjustment in Lightroom and CS2? OTOH, are there controls in the Epson application that I should never use under any circumstances?

2 ó I assume Lightroom should be the hub of the pp workflow, receiving files from EpsonRaw or some other converter, sorting and doing global changes and handing files over to Photoshop and other editors for local adjustments. Is this right, or would you advise something else, like leaving Lightroom completely out of it and doing everything in a combination of photoRaw and Photoshop?

3 ó My printer is an HP-B9180. I tried making a print with it last night that was a disaster! In addressing that problem, which application should I actually be using to produce the final print?

4 ó What about further software? Do I need to upgrade to CS3 without delay or wait till the next one or not even bother?

I admit to being stymied and apologize in advance for the time my quandary might cause you (or anyone else who wants to chime in.)

Very sorry to read of your injury, Sean. That can be so painful. Hope you recover completely in record time!

All the best,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

Sean, sorry to hear of your injury, hope you'll recover soon and well.
    Irenaeus, here's my well known '5 minutes workflow' FWIW.
    1. Shoot RAW + JPEG pics and choose keepers by reviewing jpegs in the first place.
    2. Open ERF files with the Epson raw converter, or with Photoshop or same through the Epson raw plug-in. For BW pics, set Basic/White Balance, Film/Monochrome filter, Special/Vignetting, Special/Highlight-Shadow points, Exposure compensation.
    3. Save as a TIFF file after having erased the 'Embed' Epson profile, if you don't like it, by unchecking its case in the Save as window.
    4. Close the TIFF file and re-open it in Photoshop or same for remaing PP. AFAIC i use iCorrect for color works and Fred Miranda's Nikon CS Pro for sharpening but YMMV naturally.
    Besides, i don't know your printer at all but if you don't like your results, my advice would be to test different papers first of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, LCT. Question:
    Quote Originally Posted by LCT View Post
    You wrote, "1. Shoot RAW + JPEG pics and choose keepers by reviewing jpegs in the first place."

Are you doing this in the camera before downloading to the desktop? I had read that it was best not to delete files in camera because it has sometimes led to losing other files that you'd wanted to keep, but perhaps you've not found this to be a problem with the RD1?)
    Thanks,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Thanks, LCT. Question: Are you doing this in the camera before downloading to the desktop?..
    No no never. I always download all the files to an hard disk in the first place and format the card in the camera afterwards.

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I never thought the Epson R-D1 was very interesting until I just saw second hand prices on the most well known auction site. At about Ä1000, it sounds like a good deal. I'll be reading up on it, but I know one question won't be answered: how well does it fare with M39 Leica screw mount lenses ? I have a Summitar 50/f2 (which becomes a 75mm) and a Summaron 35/f3.5 (about 50mm). I may be considering an M mount 35mm later on, too, but I will definitely want to use my M39 lenses in the beginning. They are clearly not designed for digital , so I'm a bit worried about the image quality.

Aside from that, I'm not too worried about too much. Any rangefinder will be easier to focus than the Zorki I'm used to

Peter.

sirvine

Peter,

I have no personal experience with those lenses you mention, but perhaps you will find this thread interesting: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...p/t-51563.html

Sol