Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epson RD-1

stnami

Epson RD-1

Any interest here with this elder statesman....... especially in regards lenses that compliment the sensor. I tried
    the Voigtlanders......too contrasty
    the old canons nice rendition but a bit soft......... but great with bnw
    about to buy a Zeiss 21 and 50

Sean_Reid

Re: Epson RD-1

Hi Imants,

As you may know, I still use the R-D1. The Zeiss lenses will have even higher contrast than most of the Voigtlanders. For high res with moderate contrast, I'd suggest the CV 35/1.7 and CV 28/1.9.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

Thanks, I'll take your word on the contrast bit, surprises me a bit though.
    How about the Nokton F1.4 / 40mm as I don't mind the Canon 35mm 2.8 even with film
    I guess I will have to stick to the Color-Skopar F4.0 / 21mm PII M-Mount as far as a 21 will go, realistically a Leica 21 mm lens is a bit of a waste on me I had a pentax for a while (lost interest in DSLRs) and used a 21mm, nice lens but too much barrel distortion especially with building lines at the back of people photos, the 32mm (21mm) became my preferred length
    I saw that the Heliar Classic 50mm/f2 is back again maybe that is worth considering instead of the 35/40mm lenses. Can't seem to find a lot about it or I may chase another Leica here my old one has trees growing in it.

About the RD-1, probably the best digital I have owned, I don't miss the GRD or Pentax as small was never my drama. I can get pretty much the same results, plus more with the bonus of a lot more flexability in PP. Shooting at 800 iso is sweet thus f8-11 is not a drama.

Mitch Alland

Interesting, Imants. As you know I have been making very large prints with the GRD. Do you think that would no problem with the 6MP RD-1?

óMitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

stnami

Sorry Mitch, yet to print, maybe Sean can answer that but I do like what I see. Here's a PPd image yes the differences are miniscule but they are there

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks to me there is a little bit more range in the bottom image. I would assume that is the RD-1.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by stnami View Post
    Thanks, I'll take your word on the contrast bit, surprises me a bit though.
    How about the Nokton F1.4 / 40mm as I don't mind the Canon 35mm 2.8 even with film
    I guess I will have to stick to the Color-Skopar F4.0 / 21mm PII M-Mount as far as a 21 will go, realistically a Leica 21 mm lens is a bit of a waste on me I had a pentax for a while (lost interest in DSLRs) and used a 21mm, nice lens but too much barrel distortion especially with building lines at the back of people photos, the 32mm (21mm) became my preferred length
    I saw that the Heliar Classic 50mm/f2 is back again maybe that is worth considering instead of the 35/40mm lenses. Can't seem to find a lot about it or I may chase another Leica here my old one has trees growing in it.

About the RD-1, probably the best digital I have owned, I don't miss the GRD or Pentax as small was never my drama. I can get pretty much the same results, plus more with the bonus of a lot more flexability in PP. Shooting at 800 iso is sweet thus f8-11 is not a drama.
    As a rule, the Zeiss ZM lenses (which are wonderful) tend to have the highest contrast of the current RF lenses. The CVs can be lower, moderate or higher contrast depending on the model. The Leicas are high-moderate to high contrast depending on the model.

The low contrast 21 is the Kobalux 21/2.8. Next highest would be the Leica.

Until the M8, the R-D1 was my favorite digital camera. I still like it quite a bit.

It might be useful for you to start up with RR again because of all the lens reviews. Otherwise, see also:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...pson-rd1.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d-1-lens.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...nsreview.shtml

The trick with the CV Skopars (28 mm and wider) is that they tend to vignette quite a bit on the R-D1. That's not true for the 28 Ultron.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

It seems that the Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 4.5/21 ZM may be the best proposition, little distortion, the rendering/ colour looks great, contrast easy to tweak and I can vignette in PP on my own terms

THe Pentax D10 is probably the bet buy around, when recommending for schools and institutions it tops my list. Unfortunately there is a bit of negative reaction to the camera until they use it,,,,,,,,, the lenses old and new are a bonus

Sean_Reid

It seems that the Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 4.5/21 ZM may be the best proposition, little distortion, the rendering/ colour looks great, contrast easy to tweak and I can vignette in PP on my own terms

THe Pentax D10 is probably the bet buy around, when recommending for schools and institutions it tops my list. Unfortunately there is a bit of negative reaction to the camera until they use it,,,,,,,,, the lenses old and new are a bonus
    Hi Imants,

The 21/4.5 is a great lens with the main potential drawback being, as you mentioned, vignetting on the R-D1. I've tested it on the M8 but not on the R-D1. The contrast will also be high, as with the CV.

For a photographer who will actively control what a camera is doing, the K10D has got to be one of the greatest values in digital photography.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

For one who still uses a film camera ..... wides are not a problem.
    With all this vignetting, it seems that it may be best to use the 28mm (42mm) and above. Probably not a bad thing as shoving a camera in someone's face at about a metre is not a healthy proposition in many a situation despite the potentially good results.............

Sean_Reid

Hi Imants,

I tend to use 28 -50 lenses on the Epson but wider lenses can work so long as they're of a certain design (for example the Leica and Zeiss 2.8s work well from 21 - 25 mm).

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

The Zeiss is getting to the too large scale. why would there be such a difference between the 4.5 and the 2.8? I will chase a 50mm first, put the wide on hold... change of strategy
    I have a borrowed Pentax K10D sitting at home, using it for as short animation got it hooked up to the computer a breeze to work with
    Last edited by stnami; 28th December 2007 at 14:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is the RD-1 a 1.5 crop factor. Also i been hearing a lot of talk on this Pentax, sounds interesting. Sean is your review done on this by chance.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Is the RD-1 a 1.5 crop factor. Also i been hearing a lot of talk on this Pentax, sounds interesting. Sean is your review done on this by chance.
    Hi Guy,

Yes, the R-D1 is a 1.5 crop camera.

The K10D review is up along with a review of the Pentax 43/1.9 and the Zeiss ZK 35 and ZK 50. The camera has a fairly weak AA filter which makes it a particularly good match with high res lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

The Zeiss is getting to the too large scale. why would there be such a difference between the 4.5 and the 2.8? I will chase a 50mm first, put the wide on hold... change of strategy
    I have a borrowed Pentax K10D sitting at home, using it for as short animation got it hooked up to the computer a breeze to work with
    The 4.5 is more of a traditional RF design. The 2.8 is more "telecentric" like SLR lenses tend to be (light rays tend to hit the film/sensor straight on rather than at more oblique angles).

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

Ended up with .........
    Ultron F1.9 / 28mm and a Nokton F1.5 / 50mm ............... the wide can wait or I just use film
    Thanks Sean

Sean_Reid

Ended up with .........
    Ultron F1.9 / 28mm and a Nokton F1.5 / 50mm ............... the wide can wait or I just use film
    Thanks Sean
    The Ultron should give you that high res/lower contrast combination you like. The Nokton is fairly high contrast but its an outstanding lens. I've owned both of those lenses for several years now.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

A nice lens the Ultron 28mm (42mm)......

1st shot (riteereinmebackyard) ,,,,,,,

Sean_Reid

It is, glad you like it.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

A nice lens the Ultron 28mm (42mm)......

1st shot (riteereinmebackyard) ,,,,,,,
    looks like you are going to have a fabulous time with the RD1 Imants

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does look like a nice lens indeed. The price is right too

stnami

The lens seems to suit the RD-1 ,day 3 shot is at 1600iso, probably only run a dozen or so shots with the lens fo far, but that was enough to know it was a keeper. I put the lens on the Bessa R4A (Provia 400), the lens takes up a bit of the frame but as I shoot f8 aperture priority minus.7 using 28VF does the job nicely, see how those images comes out later.

1600iso is quite workable for me and for some work spot on but it does seem as if 800iso may be used a bit more with that edge in PP work, 200 and 400 have gotta be usefull for something???

Now I should take the 50 out of its packaging even if it is to see what it looks like, it is meant for a portraiture role so it's no use playing with it just for the sake of it being new .....it can wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Imants, Post some if you can, I'm intrested in that lens combo.
    Mike

website under construction

stnami

a heaps of contrast day by the water to add to the glare

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Interesting, Imants. As you know I have been making very large prints with the GRD. Do you think that would no problem with the 6MP RD-1?

óMitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    I missed this the first time around. Yes, the R-D1 files will certainly upres. as well as the GR files - easily.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

The Epson R-D1 is also sensitive to IR and many owners have used the camera for years without ever knowing that.
    ..in what situations is this obvious, there is a blue cast at times nn days of high contrast.ie light and shade extremes

stnami

Chris Herbert

Sean (or any other Epson folks out there),

I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1? I've not shot mine very much since the M8 arrived; and when I was shooting, I primarily used my 24 Elmarit and 35 'cron on it, which seemed most appropriate considering the crop factor.

Guy, I'll probably have it with me in Moab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never tried the Epson RD-1 so maybe fun to see what it can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herbert View Post
    ...I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1?...
    Would be easier to tell the lenses i dislike... There is none really but longer focal length than 50mm are not my cup of tea on the R-D1. AFAIC my favourite combos are:
    - 1 lens: late Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4
    - 2 lenses: Summicron 28/2 and late Summilux pre-asph 50/1.4 (or 50/1.4 asph when i need extra sharpness)
    - 3 lenses: Same with the Elmarit 21/2.8 asph or the CV 21/4 P.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the bigger disappointments when I had my RD-1 was the fact that my 90 F2 was virtually impossible to focus.

I enjoyed using it with my CV12 and CV15, didn't like the images my 35 2.8 summaron produced but liked what I saw out of my 28 Ultron and my 50 Summicron (1960s vintage). In fact, I liked the 50 on it the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eekimel View Post
    One of the bigger disappointments when I had my RD-1 was the fact that my 90 F2 was virtually impossible to focus...
    Same with a Leica CL or a Bessa. The base length of the rangefinder is too short. Don't expect high success rates at faster apertures than f/3.5 without magnifier.

Sean_Reid

..in what situations is this obvious, there is a blue cast at times nn days of high contrast.ie light and shade extremes
    Hi Imants,

I just saw this. Its noticeable any time one does color work with subjects that reflect IR (I don't mean that to sound pat it's just the real answer). Certain black textiles are the usual example but all kinds of things can reflect IR. It tends to be more noticeable, with the M8 and the Epson, under tungsten.

Cheers,

Sean
    Last edited by Sean_Reid; 18th January 2008 at 11:08.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herbert View Post
    Sean (or any other Epson folks out there),

I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1? I've not shot mine very much since the M8 arrived; and when I was shooting, I primarily used my 24 Elmarit and 35 'cron on it, which seemed most appropriate considering the crop factor.

Guy, I'll probably have it with me in Moab.
    I've gotta remember to look in on this thread more.

Of the Leicas, my favorites on the R-D1 are:

21/2.8 current
    24/2.8 current
    28/2.0 current
    35/1.4 current
    50/1.4 current

I'm especially fond of the 24, 35 and 50 above.

In addition to the RR lens tests on the R-D1, I also did a couple for LL.

Cheers,

Sean

stnami

........... .just a snippet, the old still available used ...Nikon SB-30 ( small) fits like a glove, needed a smidgen of extra light for a couple of portraits...................bear ute e full .......................another

Post Thanks / Like

...the old still available used ...Nikon SB-30 ( small) fits like a glove...
    Same for my favourite SB-20 (pic) but i'd like to get a smaller one like the SB-30 for travels.
    Does it hit your forehead when you tilt it on the R-D1 Imants?

stnami

Post Thanks / Like

Imants,

I have printed up to 13x19" with my R-D1 files and the results are stunning. It's hard to believe the results you get from the 6MP this camera has.

stnami

Hi
    Yea some nice files...................... if one is into recreating reality, and wants all the detail (we never see in real life anyway) sure the top end cameras are better.
    If you have used film cameras this camera is a joy to use.
    The added bonus one doesn't have to worry about what can be improved on the camera, what you have is what you get to use, no upgrades or new models. It all becomes about photography and for me a lot of PP work ( my choice).
    Last edited by stnami; 2nd February 2008 at 14:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi LCT no problems there as it tilts foreward...
    Ah yes i missed this thanks. So no ceiling-bounce then. Not for me i'm afraid.

stnami

I have limited use for it, but it's small enough and there as a last resort light wise

Post Thanks / Like

Dear All,

A funny thing happened to me while saving up for one of the Ricohs and some good weatherproof Olympus gear ó a BEAUTIFUL Epson RD1 with no more than than 200 actuations! (I'm still interested in the GRD2 and the Oly 12 - 60 and 50/2 a body for them, but now perhaps not for a good long while.)

Naturally, I've got questions about how best to proceed and am coming to you for advice. "In the mouth of many counselors is great wisdom" and all that. Please bear with me as I think this initial part of it through.

1. THE CONSTRAINTS:
    My budget is limited but I might be able to wangle another $800 - $1000 for additional lenses and software, should either prove necessary.

My eyesight is a bit limited, too, what with a good deal of astigmatism and some glaucoma. The astigmatism allows me to enjoy multiple moonrises while others are limited to one; the glaucoma necessitates the use of Lumigan eye drops that also produced hazy and haloed light sources (which, however, do tend to normalize during the course of the day.) Both tend toward problematic focusing. I'm getting pretty good at estimating distances, however, and Iím determined to see it through.

I CAN see the RD1's focusing patch clearly with my glasses on, but that restricts the view of the frame lines more than I'd prefer. I also have an old viewfinder attachment for a Nikon 6006 that holds a prescription corrective lens, so that should work equally well, but it doesn't seem to want to mount securely on the RD1.

My first question, therefore, has to do with finding a source for a corrective eyepiece that WILL fit the Epson. Any suggestions?

2. LENSES:
    I've gathered together a few lenses over the years that will work on the RD1 but have had no bodies to use them with. M-mount rangefinders, whether film or digital, have been way out of my reach, so I was getting the lenses together in sheer hope. The first of them was actually given to me in the early 80s ó a 35/2.8 Canon in LTM. The next was a 40/2 Minolta Rokkor and finally I was able to find another Canon LTM ó a 28/2.8.

I've read Sean's reviews and am eager to begin using the Canons he so appreciates for B & W. The 40/2 should be a good complement to them for more subdued lighting and color work. It's the one I've begun to use in these in these first few days. I think itís a good little package to get on with but want to know what you might suggest that I keep my eyes open for?

Are there any obvious lacks, thoughtful suggestions or dynamite deals you could point out? I donít think I need to go wider for the moment but do think I'd like a bit more reach for portraits. There are 50mm frame lines built in, so that makes for an obvious candidate and a 50 would be easier to focus than a 75 or 90. Iíd be happy to sample anything, but think my money might be better spent doing something else....

50, 40, 35 and 28 are my most probable focal lengths, then, but what speed? My daughter is getting married in August in Long Beach. While I won't be *doing* the wedding, but I'd like to help out with some documentary candids. The problem is she's having an evening wedding which starts about 15 minutes after sundown!

So I'd WANT a faster lens or two but wonder about focusing and DONíT want an unnecessarily redundant set of lenses.

Sean's case for a high res/low contrast combination on the RD1 makes sense to me. Both the 35/1.7 Ultron and the 28/1.9 Ultron fit this prescription as might the Canon 50/1.2. What else? Camera Quest is touting Voightlanderís 35 and 40 in 1.4 or 1.2. Might they be too high contrast or too hard to focus? OTOH Are higher or lower contrast moot points when shooting in available darkness?

Furthermore, the faster one goes the thinner the slice that's in focus becomes. If I'd have to go to 2.8 or 3.5 to ensure focus anyway, then the faster lenses might be overkill. (Except one would still have the more subtle qualities of that particular lens's *drawing,* thereby redeeming an apparently redundant choice!)

It gets complicated, doesnít it, especially from a distance compounded by ignorance! So you can see why Iíd like to draw upon your store of knowledge. What am I missing and what might you suggest? ALL contributions will be gratefully accepted!

3. SOFTWARE AND POST-PROCESSING:
    Much the same in this department. Iíve read about Seanís workflow but that was written a few years ago and I wonder whatís the best way forward as of now?

What I have is a G5 Mac desktop running OS 10.4. Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom. My intention is to work primarily in black and white with the RD1, and Iíd like a consistently B & W workflow, but I do respond to color and won't rule that out entirely.

So, in a word, please rejoice with me ó and help!

Iím really stoked!

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    ...My first question, therefore, has to do with finding a source for a corrective eyepiece that WILL fit the Epson. Any suggestions?...
    I use eyepiece correction lenses for Nikon FA, FM2 and FE2 bodies. Can be found at B&H ref. # NIDP1FM2.

...The next was a 40/2 Minolta Rokkor and finally I was able to find another Canon LTM — a 28/2.8...I think it’s a good little package to get on with but want to know what you might suggest that I keep my eyes open for?...
    I don't know the Canon but i've had back focus issues with my Rokkor 40/2. I prefer the Summicron-C 40/2 for this very reason but both are very close IQ wise and other users have no problem with their Rokkor.

...Sean's case for a high res/low contrast combination on the RD1 makes sense to me. Both the 35/1.7 Ultron and the 28/1.9 Ultron fit this prescription as might the Canon 50/1.2....
    I don't know this Canon either but it will be difficult to focus at full aperture due to the short base length of the rangefinder.
    Aside from the expensive asph model, which is the sharpest 50 i've ever used at f/1.4, my favourite 50 is the latest version of the pre-asph Summilux 50/1.4, but i like much the Summicron 50/2 with tab from the seventies as well as the current Elmar-M 50/2.8 but the latter is more contrasty.
    Otherwise, i don't like the OoF rendition of the CV 35/1.7 that i find quite harsh personally.
    Never used the 28/1.9 Ultron but it is very well noted by many photographers.

...What I have is a G5 Mac desktop running OS 10.4. Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom. My intention is to work primarily in black and white with the RD1, and I’d like a consistently B & W workflow, but I do respond to color and won't rule that out entirely....
    Don't know if i may call this 'workflow' but i own a G5 as well and for B&W and color i use exclusively the Epson raw converter with Photoshop Elements 2 and a couple plug-ins like iCorrect for white balance and Fred Miranda's Nikon CS Pro for sharpening.
    Last edited by LCT; 13th February 2008 at 23:10.

sirvine

I prefer the M8, but I still use my R-D1 pretty regularly: http://solsphere.com/index.php?showimage=654

Here's a nice example of the R-D1's excellent and useful ISO 800: http://solsphere.com/index.php?showimage=633

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see a thread on the R-D1!

I'm trying to find a compact reasonably wide lens for my R-D1s. I have tried 2 VC 35/2.5, both the new PII and the Skopar Classic, that were both faulty so I sent them back. I have of course read Seans excellent review of 35mm lenses for the M8, where his sample performs very very well, so I had high hopes for this lens. Now I'm looking at alternative options in the 28/35mm range, compact size being a priority. I'm eyeing the new Summarit 35/2.5 and the "new" Elmarit 28mm ASPH, both look quite interesting, the 28 more so. The Leica 28/2.8 is almost as compact as the Voigtlander 28/3.5, so I fear it might vignette as badly as the VC.

Does anyone have experience with the new Elmarit 28 ASPH on the R-D1 and have any comments about vignetting?

For the record I have these lenses already: 21/4P, 28 Ultron, 50 Nokton, 75 Heliar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgmj View Post
    ...Does anyone have experience with the new Elmarit 28 ASPH on the R-D1 and have any comments about vignetting? For the record I have these lenses already: 21/4P, 28 Ultron, 50 Nokton, 75 Heliar.
    This lens is very sharp and very contrasty at all apertures.
    Due to this high contrast, blown highlights are sometimes difficult to avoid with the R-D1.
    Otherwise, the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph is probably the best 28 i've ever used except the Summicron 28/2 which is my favourite for its smoother bokeh.
    Vignetting is generally easy to manage with the Epson raw converter (pic below), much easier so than the CV 21/4 P i own as well.
    But if you shoot jpegs, it will vignette severely like any 28 on the R-D1.

E]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info! There seems to be some variation even between 28's regarding the vignetting on R-D1. The VC 28/3.5 is actually worse than the 21/4, according to Seans article at LL. I appreciate your comparison to the 21/4, which gives me something to compare with, since I know it fairly well.

I always shoot RAW, but don't like the Epson program, so I use CO4 instead, usually correcting vignetting in PS3. I guess there would be some advantages in correcting vignetting before the RAW conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgmj View Post
    ...I always shoot RAW, but don't like the Epson program, so I use CO4 instead, usually correcting vignetting in PS3. I guess there would be some advantages in correcting vignetting before the RAW conversion?
    I only use the Epson raw converter and plug-in so i don't know sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, LCT, for your extensive answer to my questions.

Here's another one for anyone: are there any downsides to upgrading my RD1 to the RD1s firmware?

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

...are there any downsides to upgrading my RD1 to the RD1s firmware...
    Yes it increases the power consumption of the camera but in turn you'll gain a RAW buffer increased from 2 to 3 frames, a new RAW+JPEG option, a hot pixel correction, a better auto white balance, some noise improvement at 1600 iso and the ability to use SD cards up to 2 GB. Worth the move IMHO.