The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two interesting comparison tests of DP2M

peterb

I'd just receently begun follow this guys blog and was taken totally off guard when he began his 'experiments' on the DP2M. As a result he's become an unabashed fan of the DP2 M.

He's on a quest to reduce the photographic 'clutter on his shelf. Lately he's become quite enamored with the GH3 (which I can't blame him) for it's 'macho' character and build along with the promise of DSLR quality and a VERY manageable package and superb lenses available (unlike the D800 which he loves but, as you've mentioned Louis, doesn't relish lugging it's massiveness everywhere anymore).

retow

One of his conclusions that in comparison with the DP2M all other (35mm) cameras files look ordinary is so true.

Last edited:

biglouis

One of his conclusions that in comparison with the DP2M all other (35mm) camera's files look ordinary is so true.
I must admit to feeling like that myself. That said I am still shooting MF film for its aesthetic qualities. Apart from using the highly usable 100-300 zoom on my GH-2 for birding, I can't get too enthusiastic about using my digital m43rds kit and I've stopped drooling over other camera systems.

If money were no object I suppose I could get excited by the Sony RX-1 but then again at a third of the price a DP1M might make more sense.

Louis

JSRockit

I printed three 20x30" prints recently. One was from a Leica M8 with a 35mm Leica Summaron 2.8 (uprezzed to M9 18mp dimensions), another was from the Leica M9 with Zeiss 35mm C-Biogon 2.8, and the last was from the DP2m. The only one that held up completely to up close inspection was the DP2m. The others started to get soft and not show minute detail. The DP2m showed every little detail and extremely small background text was completely sharp and easily readable. Amazing really. That said, I was happy with all three.

Quentin_Bargate

Fascinating stuff. The DP2m has messed with my mind - I find it difficult to use other very capable cameras because they don't have the DP2M ( and to a slightly lesser extent, DP1m) magic. That includes a £30k Hasselblad set up.

scho

Fascinating stuff. The DP2m has messed with my mind - I find it difficult to use other very capable cameras because they don't have the DP2M ( and to a slightly lesser extent, DP1m) magic. That includes a £30k Hasselblad set up.
I feel the same way. I've been bouncing back and forth between my DP2M and new Leica M-E, but the DP2M clearly produces superior files.

Michiel Schierbeek

Isn't just unbelievable! I work with three cameras and the only advantage of the others is that I can use different (nice) lenses on it, something I like to do.
Image wise there is no comparison.

I can only moan about a bigger Foveon sensor and an intechangeble lensmount etc... (not to forget high ISO improvement)

Michiel

jonoslack

You're all crazed
Pictures are about pictures . . .not pixels, and a slow fixed lens camera doesn't make it easy to take pictures (however good the pixels are).

Foveon may be the dog's dooh-dahs - but until it's in a camera which makes it satisfactory to catch good images . . . . . . :p:poke::facesmack::chug::salute:

ustein

Contributing Editor
You may heard that DxO created the measure term Perceptual M-Pix. An people are complaining how few M-Pix there camera now have. But if you look at the DP2M images you know what real 15MP can look like and realize the others don't show that detail at 24MP.

>a slow fixed lens camera doesn't make it easy to take pictures (however good the pixels are).

But if it works they sing.

I think Sigma created this camera for Michiel because they fit so well to his work :).

Michiel Schierbeek

You're all crazed
Pictures are about pictures . . .not pixels, and a slow fixed lens camera doesn't make it easy to take pictures (however good the pixels are).

Foveon may be the dog's dooh-dahs - but until it's in a camera which makes it satisfactory to catch good images . . . . . . :p:poke::facesmack::chug::salute:
So you didn't see any good pictures taken with it.... huh :):poke::chug::watch:

Michiel Schierbeek

You may heard that DxO created the measure term Perceptual M-Pix. An people are complaining how few M-Pix there camera now have. But if you look at the DP2M images you know what real 15MP can look like and realize the others don't show that detail at 24MP.

>a slow fixed lens camera doesn't make it easy to take pictures (however good the pixels are).

But if it works they sing.

I think Sigma created this camera for Michiel because they fit so well to his work :).
It is true, I really like to work with it, but I still need other cameras for low light and different focussing distances.
And I have to put on my glasses :deadhorse: to look at the screen. I love the NEX-7 viewfinder.

scho

You're all crazed

I use the DP2M mostly on a tripod for landscapes where it really excels so speed is not an issue. The Leica gives me more options for casual shooting or where speed is an important consideration. I'm happy to have both.

retow

You're all crazed

I don't mind using a rifle instead of a machine gun, once in a while:lecture:. In good light , the AF speed of the Merrills is actually no that bad, beating a Leica X1. File write time is a different story.

Last edited:

Sapphie

You're all crazed

Um, I was skeptical too but the infectious enthusiasm of this forum had me hold. That was in spite of having a camera that forced me to use a rear LCD screen - something I have always hated because I can't see it properly.

I really haven't had much chance to use it properly yet but I have to say that this camera is different. It is actually surprisingly easy to use. The LCD screen is OK and I can use it (even if I have to put my glasses on). Yes the write times are slow, it eats batteries, SPP is slow to use and it has only on lens. But, Jono, what a lens! And what fantastically detailed images! I do not believe that any of the web size shots here do it justice. You have to see it for yourself to believe it. Having spent most of last year ignoring my K5 (and eventually selling it) in favour of the X100, the focal length on this beauty is no problem for me.

I would not make it my only camera - my Fuji X-Pro 1 kit remains - and that is fantastic too, hopefully soon to become even more worthwhile with Capture One's anticipated interpretation of the RAW files.

The Merrill just needs to be treated with respect and it delivers in bounds.

Lee

ustein

Contributing Editor
I show this image as an example. I always likes these kind of leaves and patterns. Nothing special at all. But the first time I got what I wanted was from the DP2M.

Quentin_Bargate

Well Jono we are definitely all crazed, spot on there :D but its due to infectious enthusiasm for an exceptional product. It's not just the sensor, it's *that* lens. It's actually a surprisingly good old-school photographer's camera, save for the lack of a built in viewfinder. Easy menu system, simple choices, use at low ISO. I'd say if you were coming from film it would be easier to use than most other digital cameras. You should love it :ROTFL:

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes Jono, you should try it :):salute:
(you can always sell it)

You certainly stirred things up here for a while.
If this sensor is going to be matched to a more complete system, other brands wil have a hard game to play.

Still this camera is capable of very good ouput as it is and can out perform, under the right circumstances, almost anything on the market and at the same time you can slide it in your pocket.

Quiet remarkable, I think.

JSRockit

This quality in a camera under $1000 cannot be beat...the lens alone is easily worth that. The AF isn't as bad as people want to think (though it was before the firmware updates and note that many reviews were prior to the updates). Write times are slow, but you can still make photos while writing.