The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two interesting comparison tests of DP2M

Yes Jono, you should try it :):salute:
(you can always sell it)

You certainly stirred things up here for a while.
If this sensor is going to be matched to a more complete system, other brands wil have a hard game to play.

Still this camera is capable of very good ouput as it is and can out perform, under the right circumstances, almost anything on the market and at the same time you can slide it in your pocket.

Quiet remarkable, I think.

The Sigma SD1M with the same sensor is now available for under 1800. Add to this the upcoming Sigma 35/1.4.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The Sigma SD1M with the same sensor is now available for under 1800.

Not sure how many lenses will match the sensor. The 35mm likely will.

Michiel Schierbeek

Yes Uwe, that is tempting. But then you have another 35 mm range lens.
The Sigma 150mm Macro seems to be good and may be the other upcoming Art lenses.
Two things stop me. I want to go Full Frame and not many Alt lenses to adapt.
Only M42 and Contax AF lenses made adaptable by Conurus.

Michiel

ustein

Contributing Editor
>that is tempting.

Not for me. Don't want to go big again. I am happy with GH3 and DP2M.

biglouis

You're all crazed
Pictures are about pictures . . .not pixels, and a slow fixed lens camera doesn't make it easy to take pictures (however good the pixels are).

Foveon may be the dog's dooh-dahs - but until it's in a camera which makes it satisfactory to catch good images . . . . . . :p:poke::facesmack::chug::salute:
I show this image as an example. I always likes these kind of leaves and patterns. Nothing special at all. But the first time I got what I wanted was from the DP2M.

This is a prime example of what I find with the DP2M - that it renders complex patterns most wonderfully.

LouisB

peterb

>that is tempting.

Not for me. Don't want to go big again. I am happy with GH3 and DP2M.
Me too Uwe. The DP2 was the first new camera I've had in years. And, despite it's well-documented flaws which, to me aren't really all that bad, I couldn't be happier with the results I've gotten. When the conditions are right (and there's a huge swath or conditions it can be right for) the results are beyond anything I've ever seen.

My previous camera was (and still is) the G1 which, at the time I felt was the most promising new development in the digital age in terms of the ratio of quality to bulk. Bulk seemed to me the biggest drawback of digital cameras and mFt meant to me that giving up a little bit in IQ in exchange for lighter, more manageable equipment was a plus. But mFt has evolved magnificently and the latest iterations (particularly the sensors) are now yielding results that, except in some extreme DR situations, on a par with the best of APS-C and even recent FF cameras. (Although not even close to the APS-C of the DP2/1 M!)

That said, while to me the DP2M has no equal at this time in terms of IQ bang for the buck, I am indeed seriously looking at the GH3 as well. Yes it's bigger than your usual mFt DSLR-like camera but it's still way smaller than typical DSLRs and lighter even with a full metal jacket and weatherproofing. But the lenses available whether from Panasonic (who clearly was paying attention when Leitz was showing how they like their optics ground) and Olympus have evolved into a series of petite jewels.

So like you, as the classic VW ad designed by my late friend Helmut Krone said, I like to "Think small."

biglouis

I agree with Peter and Uwe but for slightly different reasons.

Can't remember the last time I needed to print anything of mine either privately or commercially where a m43rds frame size was not sufficient. Oh well, I guess I'll never be able to do work for billboards (like that is ever going to happen).

Mind you, the exciting thing is that I think a single DP2M frame could be used for a billboard.

LouisB

Me too Uwe. The DP2 was the first new camera I've had in years. And, despite it's well-documented flaws which, to me aren't really all that bad, I couldn't be happier with the results I've gotten. When the conditions are right (and there's a huge swath or conditions it can be right for) the results are beyond anything I've ever seen.

My previous camera was (and still is) the G1 which, at the time I felt was the most promising new development in the digital age in terms of the ratio of quality to bulk. Bulk seemed to me the biggest drawback of digital cameras and mFt meant to me that giving up a little bit in IQ in exchange for lighter, more manageable equipment was a plus. But mFt has evolved magnificently and the latest iterations (particularly the sensors) are now yielding results that, except in some extreme DR situations, on a par with the best of APS-C and even recent FF cameras. (Although not even close to the APS-C of the DP2/1 M!)

That said, while to me the DP2M has no equal at this time in terms of IQ bang for the buck, I am indeed seriously looking at the GH3 as well. Yes it's bigger than your usual mFt DSLR-like camera but it's still way smaller than typical DSLRs and lighter even with a full metal jacket and weatherproofing. But the lenses available whether from Panasonic (who clearly was paying attention when Leitz was showing how they like their optics ground) and Olympus have evolved into a series of petite jewels.

So like you, as the classic VW ad designed by my late friend Helmut Krone said, I like to "Think small."
Although I like the concept of small sizes with mFT, the main disadvantage of this sensor size - the DOF compared to fullframe - turns me off.

IQ, DR etc. will become better generation after generation. But DOF stays the same. This is why I sold my FT system only after a couple of weeks...

biglouis

Why?

Standard print resolution for a billboard is 70 DPI. You SWC is still one of the best lenses/cameras ever made. Your DP2M is just taking a different approach.
Kirk

I can't disagree with you about the SWC. My favourite camera, period.

LouisB

V

Vivek

New rumors predict Sigma mirrorless cams in 2013. It is inevitable and time they got rid of the SD1 and such.

If/when a Foveon mirrorless cam hits the market, I will get one.

V

Vivek

Two factors one needs to consider:

1. These are the folks who goofed up BIG time with the SD-1 (pricing) and try to do damage control with the SD-1M.

2. With DP-1M and DP-2M being current and if they admit to a possibility of an interchangeable mirrorless cam with a Foveon sensor, it would be utter disaster.

Do you honestly think that they can sell and make any cents off of the SD1?

JSRockit

Two factors one needs to consider:

1. These are the folks who goofed up BIG time with the SD-1 (pricing) and try to do damage control with the SD-1M.

2. With DP-1M and DP-2M being current and if they admit to a possibility of an interchangeable mirrorless cam with a Foveon sensor, it would be utter disaster.

Do you honestly think that they can sell and make any cents off of the SD1?
Right, I think the company may have to write off the SD-1 altogether. They have widened their DP fanbase with these new Merrill compacts. I never cared about the other SD cameras until the Merrill... which is special due to its size and lens.

However, not everyone is into interchangable lens cameras. The thing I liked about the Merrill is that it is a fixed lens camera in which the sensor is perfectly matched to the sensor.

retow

I'd rather have three fixed focal length Merrills than a compromised zoom or interchangeable lens one. One with a 24mm, the exisitng 45mm and a 75mm equivalent one. And in each case lens and sensor being the perfect team. Three outstanding primes with the unique Foveon sensor included for USD 3000. I'll be a buyer.

Michiel Schierbeek

A nice foveon FF mirrorless camera with an EVF with outlined focus peaking.
A new mount as close to the sensor as the E-mount, if possible, and loads of people will be all over it. Good bussiness for adapter and lens makers as well!

In my opinion they would have gold in their hands, but they have to hurry before Sony gets their Foveon-alike act together.

Thats what I want but then, who listens to me........

V

Vivek

One very likely thing that is going to happen very soon is the software part (from Sigma themselves, that is). To extract real monochrome images from the Foveon sensor's output. This should be easy as the sensor is a monochrome sensor.

The value of DP-2/1M's will increase manifold just from this.

If there is an interchangeable mount DP, it will be fantastic!

If it is a FF Foveon mirrorless with an integrated EVF, medium format companies should watch out!