The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

S

Shelby Lewis

Just in from a tour in Europe with the Boston Early Music Festival's production of Niobe... a few touristy shots worked up on the laptop.

Cheers,
Shelby

downunder

I just bought a Merrill DP1 and took my first photo. Just a snapshot of part of my home's garden just to try out the camera. I am flabbergasted! What a magnificent little camera. To say I am excited would be an understatement. I took a severe crop from small part of it and the crop is wonderful. Once I work out how to include a photograph on the forums (this is my first post) I will post a copy of the original photo and then the crop. Needless to say I have just ordered a Sigma Merrill DP2 (on sale) and am on the hunt for a DP3.

adrewdecourcy

I just bought a Merrill DP1 and took my first photo. Just a snapshot of part of my home's garden just to try out the camera. I am flabbergasted! What a magnificent little camera. To say I am excited would be an understatement. I took a severe crop from small part of it and the crop is wonderful. Once I work out how to include a photograph on the forums (this is my first post) I will post a copy of the original photo and then the crop. Needless to say I have just ordered a Sigma Merrill DP2 (on sale) and am on the hunt for a DP3.
I certainly along with many enjoy the Merrill's. I find not only for the clarity but I do enjoy the way the sensor interprets the light. At times it can produce a harsh image but most times it can be tamed into something that my other camera's cannot achieve. The Dp1 has become my favourite of the three Merrll's for the 19mm lens. Looking forward to your images.

THE PATH by Julian .., on Flickr

BACK PATH by Julian .., on Flickr

downunder

I finally worked out how to attach photos showing my very first photo with the Sigma Merrill DP1 and the impressive severe crop I made from it. As mentioned previously, the photo is really a snapshot to test the camera's capability. I was impressed.

downunder

I should mention that I was so impressed by the Sigma Merrill DP1 that I am also now the proud owner of a Merrill DP2 and DP3 to complete the set.

furtle

A lonely thread

THE WAVE by Julian .., on Flickr
I think your images are stunning. You seem to have worked some real art into the photos. I notice that you often fade the photos to very dark as the sky in this photo. It is dramatic but how are you doing this? Is it an exposure setting?

I believe your photos are from North Cornwall. I lived in Cornwall for 15 years and wish I had known about Sigma cameras at the time!

ps Are you using graduated filters?

adrewdecourcy

I think your images are stunning. You seem to have worked some real art into the photos. I notice that you often fade the photos to very dark as the sky in this photo. It is dramatic but how are you doing this? Is it an exposure setting?

I believe your photos are from North Cornwall. I lived in Cornwall for 15 years and wish I had known about Sigma cameras at the time!

ps Are you using graduated filters?
hi Furtle. I am in Cornwall but on the south coast. I do though when able pop across to the North coast which as you are aware is not that far.
The sky in this photo was darkish to begin with. Their was thick mist rolling of the sea which was why I deviated from the road, when seeing the mist, onto the beach to get the shot. I love the light the mist creates.
A professional photographer I met the other day asked me about what I do on my photographs . I dont really know other than I always shoot raw and export the x3f files as tiffs and work on them in Cs6. I have painted for many years and use the ideas that painters use when trying to create a three dimensional illusion on a flat surface. So I simply plod away with those idea which took many years to find through trial and era. Having said that I dont spent six months on a photograph which is possible on a painting.More like six minutes on a photo.
No I dont use graduated filters as a rule, I do have some fine Lee filters, I must use them more and see what can be achieved with them.

furtle

Thank you Adrew. I lived in Godolphin. My kids surfed at Porthleven. ('Leven - locals only! Not that we were.)

I wasn't trying to pry just curious as your photos are very striking.

Keep posting.

Steven