The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

ustein

Contributing Editor
We have a DP1M in for a review. Some more CA than DP2M but can be fixed in SPP. Otherwise very sharp too. For us the DP2M has a more useful focal length. Can focus very close (20cm).

Through window glass:

biglouis

Thanks for posting this Uwe. Typically colourful and sharp, as per the DP2M.

I'm umming and ahhhing about whether to invest my meagre funds in a DP1M or a GH-3 body. I know you also have the GH-3 and have stated that you like it.

My heart says GH-3 and my head says DP1M.

Decisions, decisions, eh?

LouisB

ustein

Contributing Editor
>My heart says GH-3 and my head says DP1M.

Would be just the other way for me :).

For me the 12-35mm and 35-100mm also work great on the GH2. But for video I like the GH3 much better (sharper). The DPxM cameras are nice but not as universal as the the GH3.

kuau

Workshop Member
Uwe,
Did you shoot any landscape images with the DP1M at infinity F8?
if so can you comment on corner performance.

Thanks
Steven

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Did you shoot any landscape images with the DP1M at infinity F8?

No. May seem strange but I hardly ever use wide angle for landscapes :)

kuau

Workshop Member
Uwe,
Actually not strange at all. I am the same way. I was just wondering. I find shooting landscapes with a WA lens to be very challenging.
Thanks for your input.

Steven

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I find shooting landscapes with a WA lens to be very challenging.

Toom much to include (hard to find everything useful). Also don't care much about this foreground, middle ground and background style. For me only interesting or not matters. Here it is easier to isolate with the tele range lens.

kuau

Workshop Member
Uwe,
Nice image..
Looks pretty sharp to the corners but can't tell.
What F Stop was this taken at?
Very natural colors which I am still trying to get. What's the secret????
What is your normal starting point on the camera? i.e WB, Color Settings, ISO, etc.
Thanks
Steven

ustein

Contributing Editor
>What F Stop was this taken at?

f/6.3

Very natural colors which I am still trying to get. What's the secret????

Shot with auto, converted in SPP and then WB in LR4 on gray clouds :)

What is your normal starting point on the camera? i.e WB, Color Settings, ISO, etc.

WB is auto, Color Settings default for raw, ISO 100 in this case but max 200

This was more a demo snap shot.

Here a shot with DP2M at f/4

morthcam58

When I was in GUM in 1980 there was no Lacoste store.... beautiful pictures. This camera may be amazing, but clearly Quentin could take great photos with a Brownie.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks, guys, for the kind comments. I used the DP1M as much as the DP2M on this trip. Although I recently purchased a Nikon D800E I still prefer the Sigmas...