The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Decided to take out my Sigmas last night to shoot a familar scene and alongside my Sony A7RII outfit. Truthfully, I prefer the DP1M version. Pretty much OOC to tiff file and slight dodge/burn only. No sharpening etc whatsoever (isn't that a shock for us Sigma folks? No ... :D ).

Sigma DP1M 5s f/9 ISO 100, Sigma Photo Pro 6.3.0

Last edited:
Indeed, but I wonder if Andrew uses kind of glamour filter on some of his shots
Maybe but I don't think I would hard to emulate the tonality with some post processing.

My approval came because it went brought back my memories of the explanations of composition and tonal balance that used to be the mainstay of the editorial in the photographic magazines of my youth. When I was a lad the Amateur Photographer was predominantly about why some pictures worked and some didn't. Photos were accompanied by line drawings showing what made the composition successful or weak. Camera reviews were relatively rare. I don't doubt such magazines are around these days but I get the impression that encouraging snappers to upgrade from a Mark 1 to a Mark 2 is where the interest/money lies.

Andrew posts some lovely shots - but I picked this one as the best 'picture' he has offered us for a while.

Tony

Tony

adrewdecourcy

Indeed, but I wonder if Andrew uses kind of glamour filter on some of his shots
Hi Foveon I often give negative fill light in Sigma photo pro to get away from that gritty high contrast you can get from the Merrill files. It can if not careful edge towards that glamour glow look though. Otherwise everything is done via Cs6 without any extra filters than what Adobe supplies.

adrewdecourcy

Maybe but I don't think I would hard to emulate the tonality with some post processing.

My approval came because it went brought back my memories of the explanations of composition and tonal balance that used to be the mainstay of the editorial in the photographic magazines of my youth. When I was a lad the Amateur Photographer was predominantly about why some pictures worked and some didn't. Photos were accompanied by line drawings showing what made the composition successful or weak. Camera reviews were relatively rare. I don't doubt such magazines are around these days but I get the impression that encouraging snappers to upgrade from a Mark 1 to a Mark 2 is where the interest/money lies.

Andrew posts some lovely shots - but I picked this one as the best 'picture' he has offered us for a while.

Tony

Tony

Tony thank you. I adore the photographs hung on walls around our fishing village from the late 19th century and through the 20th and these are without doubt filled with their influence. I love not only the aesthetic qualities of those images but also the social documentary.