The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

adrewdecourcy

eg this image, there is such a big difference between boat and sky, but maybe it comes from the shutter speed, I didnt see any EXIF data,
Foveon I used a Lee soft grad for the sky which shows but I quite liked the presence of the Trawler rather than anything else. Exif is there on flickr for some reason some sites exclude the exif of linked images where as others do not.

bensonga

I have never been much of a wide angle shooter, so it's no surprise that of the 30-40 images I took today with my DP Merrills, only 4 were taken with the DP1M.

As you can see, we haven't had much snow here this winter. When we did get a foot or so, a warm front would move in a week later and melt most of it. Same story as last winter. The skiers are not happy.

Gary

22796682202_f4780f21ed_btest.jpg

Regarding this photo that Andrew made. Is the slight bleeding of the dark areas into the lighter areas a product of the Sigma camera or something in PhotoShop? I have seen this in some Sigma images when looking a B&W on Flickr and would like to understand this.
Back in my film days, if one diffused the image under the enlarger, the shadows (the thin areas passing the most light) would bleed like this into the middle and highlights.

In a moody image I think it is very pretty and am wondering how to get this via Sigma.

Thanks!

Robert

Stoneage

View attachment 116264

Regarding this photo that Andrew made. Is the slight bleeding of the dark areas into the lighter areas a product of the Sigma camera or something in PhotoShop? I have seen this in some Sigma images when looking a B&W on Flickr and would like to understand this.
Back in my film days, if one diffused the image under the enlarger, the shadows (the thin areas passing the most light) would bleed like this into the middle and highlights.

In a moody image I think it is very pretty and am wondering how to get this via Sigma.

Thanks!

Robert
Looks like negative fill light to me, but it can also be a post processing effect in photoshop. But it's not a "Foveon" issue for sure.

Looks like negative fill light to me, but it can also be a post processing effect in photoshop. But it's not a "Foveon" issue for sure.
Hi,
By"negative fill light" do mean moving the fill light slider in PhotoShop towards the less fill light direction?
Also BTW, I don't see it as a negative fault or issue, I actually like it in some images.

Robert

foveon

in this image a mask is used to bring this effect to the sky, it cannot be the time, on the left you see some people.

Stoneage

Hi,
By"negative fill light" do mean moving the fill light slider in PhotoShop towards the less fill light direction?
Also BTW, I don't see it as a negative fault or issue, I actually like it in some images.

Robert
I meant SPP fill light. Yes, moving it to the left. This gives a "dreamy" look. But that's only a guess.

adrewdecourcy

Hi,

Robert
Hi just to say, I have not seen light fill in LR or Cs for a few generations. I think Fill left LR after version 3. So not on this image.
This is simply negative fill in SPP raw. I suspect fill light in SPP is an HDR logarithm, something I find very ugly and a downside of the Merrill's.
Yet this image in triuth is too soft for my liking but was a compromise to have an image or not.

Hi,
I hope it is clear that I like this photo.
What I have been asking about was to learn about something that I have seen that I like at times.
Thanks!
Robert

adrewdecourcy

Hi,
I hope it is clear that I like this photo.
What I have been asking about was to learn about something that I have seen that I like at times.
Thanks!
Robert
Yes I did realise this. It is often also hard I find to explain certain procedures when using software, without writing a whole essay and of course it is great that we all
have differing likes and dislikes. I have certainly learnt a lot from the web but probably most by spending a lot of time experimenting and messing around with images.
It is also true that we can often look back on images which at the time we though were ok to then dislike them. Happens to myself a lot.

PUNT by JULIAN de Courcy, on Flickr

TWO PUNTS by JULIAN de Courcy, on Flickr